Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

my 9 year old son is starting his road to the ameturs monday.any advice?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cool thats a good age to start. I wish i could have started that early.

As a pice of advice try to make him feel comfortamble the frist days before going hard on him.

IMO the most important thing to teach to a kid its how to stand up and walk correctly in the ring because most of them are wild, also the most basic thing keep your hands up at all times.

hope this helps and cool that you are gonna train your son best of luck my friend

Comment

Proper footwork. Defense is key now. Don't even let him in a fight until a year or 2 of training. Make 100% sure that is what he wants to do because dedication is the key to success. Good luck and wish you and him the best. Relax and enjoy the father son time.

Comment

P.S. Knuckle and finger push ups do wonders. You don't want him breaking hands the first time he punches too hard.
        No these things don't do wonders not at the age of 9 anyway. You will end up giving the kid joint problems.

When you're training children in any sport you work on fitness/endurance. You shouldn't be punching hard enough to break your hands at that age anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by FeFist View Post
          No these things don't do wonders not at the age of 9 anyway. You will end up giving the kid joint problems.

When you're training children in any sport you work on fitness/endurance. You shouldn't be punching hard enough to break your hands at that age anyway.
          Maybe "doing wonders" was an exaggeration, but for me at least they worked great. So far nothing broken from hard bare knuckle punching.

While some would disagree, I think especially at that age (they weigh little, and their joints developing hence they have the opportunity to improve) it is very useful. I'm not promoting a hundred push ups a day. Just ten knuckle and ten finger push up a day will not hurt you.

By hands I meant fingers/knuckles, just the parts I was advising to work on. Kids of that age, while you're right, rarely break hands, they at least injure knuckles even on the punching bag. Those exercises, if done right and in moderation, make the body grow/reinforce another layer of calcified bone on top.
          And there are muscles in the fingers you know. Ever heard of TV remote-thumb.

Just to stay safe from lawsuits though, don't listen to any advice I have given.

Comment

Act like you are taking him to the gym for him to just have fun and get in shape, chances are if he knows he is there to train to get into fights he may get scared and hate boxing, still...show him the basics, nothing fancy, the jab, right, and hook, foot work, and keep his hands up. Don't try and turn him into Floyd because keeping his hands low and doing the shoulder roll with no prior boxing experience will just get him KTFO and end up with a glass chin.

Comment

great advice people thanks..im joined the gym today with him so i can train with him aswell and show him im doing everything aswell..hell its only 50 bucks a year and if your good you can go to the olympics

Comment

test his chin.
                clock him with a good one, and if he's still standing, hes good to go. if not, pop out a new son and repeat

Comment

Originally posted by larryx2010 View Post
                  his first day in the gym is monday and this is my first training job anyone got any advice for me?
                  DO NOT put him in the ring with a 6yr old with the name "CASH FLOW"

Comment

Originally posted by pasawayako View Post
                    The best advice i will give to your son is to tell him to have no fear and not a coward like your idol floyd....... As a father i'm sure you will be proud of your son....
                    You deserved to be on everyone's ignore list..

Comment

I think you should require him to take OSTs...
                      ________
                      YAMAHA DRAGSTAR
                      Last edited by BostonGuy; 03-09-2011, 04:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X