Is Ali a bit overrated ?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Ali a bit overrated ?

What is Ali's true record ?

The Greatest's official record is 56 (KO 37) - 5 (KO 1). After his comeback, most people agree to say Ali was never the same again. However, that somewhat diminished fighter that he became was still kicking most butts that were put in front of him.

But as many other great fighters that came before and after him, I think judges may have given him gifts quite a couple of times, some of which I know, and some of which that maybe I don't know of.

I'm particularly thinking about Young, who Ali fought in 1976. Ali came into the fight weighing 230 lbs, the heaviest he had ever been. His poor conditionning showed up immediately, as he barely threw punches in the first 3 rounds, just taunting Young and getting punched, fighting flat footed, with his hands raised like Foreman. It is needless to say that was not typical of him. Norton, who was watching the fight from ringside, didn't want to tell how he scored it, because he wished Ali would win for a third showdown with him to happen ($).

His wish was granted. Ali got away with what I would dare to call a pure robbery. I scored it 9 rounds to 6 for Young. It could have been 8 rounds to 7for Young in the worst case.

Young : 1-2-3-8-9-10-14-15
    Ali : 4-5-6-7-12-13

So that is one gift decision Ali had that I know of. But what about the 2 wins over Norton ? A lot of people say Norton beat Ali 3 times. I don't know, as I have only watched the first of their 3 showdowns, the one and only bout that was awarded to Norton (a SD that should have been a UD). Since I do know Ali has had many poor showings and performances (like the Bonavena fight), I wonder if he ever had any more gifts. I recall that Shavers may have beaten him, but I don't recall what was my scorecard exactly. But I remember I thought Shavers should have won the fight.

So his record could (or should ?) be 52 (ko 37) - 9 (ko 1), a record that starts resembling to the one of Holyfield. Just like Holyfield, Ali fought the best opposition out there, but his inconsistency and gift decisions cannot be overlooked. Is Ali a bit overrated ? Have people bought too much in his auto-proclamation as ''the Greatest'' ? To what point his many very sloppy performances and gift decisions should play against him when we rank him, some of which occuring when he was not shot ?

Do you think Ali's record should be different ? Worse ? Do you know of other gift decisions he's been given ? Does Ali deserve to be considered the Greatest heavyweight of all-time, ahead of men like Louis who maybe had 1 gift (Walcott I) in their whole careers, and only 1, 2 or 3 losses while facing the best opposition available, like Lewis and Jeffries ?
    Ali is a bit overrated
    38.19%
    Ali is not overrated
    61.81%

no he is not

Comment

Originally posted by LoneBum View Post
      no he is not
      you haven't even read the thread
      therefore, you have no business posting a comment
      bye

Comment

Posting a comment or voting is meaningless if you don't take the time to read, i believe i have valid arguments

Comment

Originally posted by tourlou82 View Post
          What is Ali's true record ?

The Greatest's official record is 56 (KO 37) - 5 (KO 1). After his comeback, most people agree to say Ali was never the same again. However, that somewhat diminished fighter that he became was still kicking most butts that were put in front of him.

But as many other great fighters that came before and after him, I think judges may have given him gifts quite a couple of times, some of which I know, and some of which that maybe I don't know of.

I'm particularly thinking about Young, who Ali fought in 1976. Ali came into the fight weighing 230 lbs, the heaviest he had ever been. His poor conditionning showed up immediately, as he barely threw punches in the first 3 rounds, just taunting Young and getting punched, fighting flat footed, with his hands raised like Foreman. It is needless to say that was not typical of him. Norton, who was watching the fight from ringside, didn't want to tell how he scored it, because he wished Ali would win for a third showdown with him to happen ($).

His wish was granted. Ali got away with what I would dare to call a pure robbery. I scored it 9 rounds to 6 for Young. It could have been 8 rounds to 7for Young in the worst case.

Young : 1-2-3-8-9-10-14-15
          Ali : 4-5-6-7-12-13

So that is one gift decision Ali had that I know of. But what about the 2 wins over Norton ? A lot of people say Norton beat Ali 3 times. I don't know, as I have only watched the first of their 3 showdowns, the one and only bout that was awarded to Norton (a SD that should have been a UD). Since I do know Ali has had many poor showings and performances (like the Bonavena fight), I wonder if he ever had any more gifts. I recall that Shavers may have beaten him, but I don't recall what was my scorecard exactly. But I remember I thought Shavers should have won the fight.

So his record could (or should ?) be 52 (ko 37) - 9 (ko 1), a record that starts resembling to the one of Holyfield. Just like Holyfield, Ali fought the best opposition out there, but his inconsistency and gift decisions cannot be overlooked. Is Ali a bit overrated ? Have people bought too much in his auto-proclamation as ''the Greatest'' ? To what point his many very sloppy performances and gift decisions should play against him when we rank him, some of which occuring when he was not shot ?

Do you think Ali's record should be different ? Worse ? Do you know of other gift decisions he's been given ? Does Ali deserve to be considered the Greatest heavyweight of all-time, ahead of men like Louis who maybe had 1 gift (Walcott I) in their whole careers, and only 1, 2 or 3 losses while facing the best opposition available, like Lewis and Jeffries ?
          Shavers didn't win the fight and he doesn't believe so himself which says lot. Norton won the first fight obviously but he lost the second. The third is the only real controversial fight where many people thought Norton won. Ali was in terrible condition for the Young fight and looked bad as you pointed out. But Young fought more like he wanted to survive and steal the fight by sticking half his body out of the ring to prevent getting hit when Ali attacked. He didn't deserve to win fighting like that IMO but obviously many disagree. Norton was the only fighter with a legitimate gripe in fight number 3 but it was a close fight. Either way, all of those fights were past prime Ali.

Comment

Depends by whom. The mainstream who know little about boxing, and assume he's easily the GOAT, then yes. However, he's unquestionably an ATG. The consensus #1 HW of all-time. He got some questionable decisions toward the end of his career, particularly after Manila. I actually read an interview where Earnie Shavers said he had no problem with the decision and that it was fair. Interesting, as I felt Shavers won that, and I thought I was being a tad generous to Ali on the scoring. But many fighters have gotten questionable decisions. I really didn't see the controversy in the Doug Jones fight, I thought Clay/Ali won that one by 3 points.

Ali had an amazing resume, and usually came out on top. By most "historians", if he's overrated, it isn't by much.

Comment

if Ali never has to give up the title, he would probably be regarded as the greatest fighter ever with no one even remotely close. I give Frazier no shot whatsoever against a prime Ali.

Comment

Originally posted by Calilloyd View Post
                Shavers didn't win the fight and he doesn't believe so himself which says lot. Norton won the first fight obviously but he lost the second. The third is the only real controversial fight where many people thought Norton won. Ali was in terrible condition for the Young fight and looked bad as you pointed out. But Young fought more like he wanted to survive and steal the fight by sticking half his body out of the ring to prevent getting hit when Ali attacked. He didn't deserve to win fighting like that IMO but obviously many disagree. Norton was the only fighter with a legitimate gripe in fight number 3 but it was a close fight. Either way, all of those fights were past prime Ali.
                Since a fight is scored round by round, I don't think one can say Young shouldn't have won that fight because he voluntarily put half his body out of the ring in 2 rounds out of 15. That was an ugly tactic to get himself out of trouble, but he won more rounds than Ali nevertheless.

What is a prime Ali to you ? The one pre-forced retirement ?

Comment

Prime Ali is 1964-67, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by PED User View Post
                    Depends by whom. The mainstream who know little about boxing, and assume he's easily the GOAT, then yes. However, he's unquestionably an ATG. The consensus #1 HW of all-time. He got some questionable decisions toward the end of his career, particularly after Manila. I actually read an interview where Earnie Shavers said he had no problem with the decision and that it was fair. Interesting, as I felt Shavers won that, and I thought I was being a tad generous to Ali on the scoring. But many fighters have gotten questionable decisions. I really didn't see the controversy in the Doug Jones fight, I thought Clay/Ali won that one by 3 points.

Ali had an amazing resume, and usually came out on top. By most "historians", if he's overrated, it isn't by much.
                    I'm happy I'm not alone that thought Shavers won.

I agree that he is not overrated by much if he is, that's why I'm being careful, as I personnaly feel he is slightly overrated.

Good post.

Comment

Working...
                    X