Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what defining fights did mayweather have ?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh and floyd fought in the Olympics, so his career was defined way back then...

Comment

Diego Corrales

Comment

Originally posted by Chuckylee View Post
        You telling me Gatti aint a future hall of famer? You saying that Castilo vs Corales wasnt the fight of the decade? Those two fighters alone in the prime would've smashed anyone on any given day. Give floyd his credit! Not to mention They out weight floyd by ten-15 lbs when he fought them!
        Gatti was an exciting fighter, but he is not HOF material. They might put him in for other reasons, but not for in ring accomplishments.

Castillo/Coralles was one hell of a fight, but that doesnt make them HOF material either. They were both good fighters but not great.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Hall View Post
          the corrales fight is what kind of put him on the map. don't get me wrong, hardcore fans knew of mayweather's talents long before the diego corrales fight. it was the way mayweather dominated a man that most thoght would ko him.

the other defining moment for mayweather was the jose castillo immediate rematch. i personally scored the first castillo fight 115-113 for mayweather. however, a large portion of boxing fans felt castillo won.

mayweather gave castillo an immediate rematch. he didn't wait until castillo lost to someone else, got older, or make any attempts to weight drain castillo.

that, imo, also defined floyd mayweather as a genuine champion.
          Originally posted by britton View Post
          genaro hernandez
          What these two said.

Originally posted by Chuckylee View Post
          You telling me Gatti aint a future hall of famer? You saying that Castilo vs Corales wasnt the fight of the decade? Those two fighters alone in the prime would've smashed anyone on any given day. Give floyd his credit! Not to mention They out weight floyd by ten-15 lbs when he fought them!
          You're right. People need to take into consideration that Mayweather faced much bigger opposition. Mayweather was outweighed in the ring by 9-15 lbs, he faced naturally bigger opponents.

Comment

The more I think about it, the more I think it's the Mosley bout. Sure, you could make a case for Corrales or Castillo or even Hatton but I pick the Shane bout for a couple of reasons.

1. All of his critics never thought he'd fight Shane, from RA the Rugged Man down to Freddie Roach.

2. Even if they thought it was a minute possibility, they all expected him to either lose or run his way to a decision.

3. The reason they thought the first two things was, contrary to ******* opinion, Mosley was a legit threat; the best available opponent at welter, a future hall of famer and ranked high pound for pound.

Floyd's performance was brilliant and I think he showed everything anyone's asked for. That should count for something.

Comment

Chico was probably his defining fight

Comment

to bad he ducked his real defining fights when mosley,cotto,tszyu,were prime and still around. Those were the fights he should have taken when theyn were prime now he only has pac left, and look at the bs he is putting him through.

Comment

it seems nobody thinks the win over hernandez was one of the more defining moments in mayweahter's career? is it because he was old, or do people not know of him? his only other loss was a try at lightweight against de la hoya.

Comment

it seems nobody thinks the win over hernandez was one of the more defining moments in mayweahter's career? is it because he was old, or do people not know of him? his only other loss was a try at lightweight against de la hoya.
                    Good win for Floyd, but it was the last fight of Genaro's career.

Comment

I think that definitely falls in that category. It wasn't like Floyd was a huge favorite or something. I remember either Roger or Floyd Sr saying Genaro would be easier than Floyd's previous win, which was a ten round decision over Tony Pep- a guy they swore was a harder opponent. Turns out they were right.

Comment

Working...
                      X