Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HBO releases official Mayweather-Mosley nums: 1.4 Million buys, $78 Million revenues

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Updated: May 11, 2010, 3:32 PM ET

Mayweather win draws 1.4 million buys

By Dan Rafael
    ESPN.com
    Archive
    Floyd Mayweather Jr. calls himself "Money," and the welterweight star sure knows how to generate it.

Mayweather's lopsided decision victory against Shane Mosley (46-6, 39 KOs) on May 1 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas generated 1.4 million domestic pay-per-view buys and $78.3 million in television revenue, HBO announced on Tuesday.

That makes the fight the second-biggest pay-per-view in history.

The buy total ties the fight with the 1999 welterweight unification showdown between Oscar De La Hoya and Felix Trinidad. However, Mayweather-Mosley generated more money because the pay-per-view cost more. Trinidad-De La Hoya grossed $70.6 million.

Mayweather's 2007 decision win for the junior middleweight title against the now-retired De La Hoya, the reigning pay-per-view king in terms of total dollars, set the all-time pay-per-view record with 2.446 million buys and nearly $137 million in revenue.

The pay-per-view buy total for Mayweather-Mosley was derived from 740,000 buys from cable homes and 660,000 from satellite and broadband homes, HBO announced.

Comment

damn alot of people gettin owned right now some threads need to be bump

Comment

Originally posted by And Still View Post
        Mayweather proves to be a pay-per-view draw
        umm... a good pairing of two quality fighters proves to be a pay-per-view draw,

cause no casual fan could possibly know Shane Mosley, right?

Comment

Now Floyd can drop the OSDT, for a 85-15 purse.

Comment

The face of boxing strikes again 14 hundred wow!! that impressive! 65 in favor of Floyd!!

Comment

"60-40, I'll woop yo ASS!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by k1llu View Post
                The face of boxing strikes again 14 hundred wow!! that impressive! 65 in favor of Floyd!!
                14 hundred?

Comment

Originally posted by COACH-WEBB View Post
                  Dude is a certified troll these days. I think he sold his account to a *******, no, I'm serious.
                  damn that gif is crazy. where can i watch the fight where it look that **** clear as hell

Comment

Originally posted by restless_438 View Post
                    umm... a good pairing of two quality fighters proves to be a pay-per-view draw,

cause no casual fan could possibly know Shane Mosley, right?
                    Mosley is an A-side boxer? Mosley sold millions of PPVs on his own card being the A-side boxer?

The fact is Mosley is a good fighter with a small hardcore fan base and he's not a PPV draw.

Comment

Please look at this:

http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=384081

I will expect to see a bunch of green for that, bitches.

as

05-03-2010, 07:58 PM
                      And Still
                      One Teaspoon

Bank: 0.00
                      Total Points: 111,897.29
                      Donate

Early Mayweather/Mosley PPV buyrate projection is....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...1.4 - 1.5 million buys.

I have a friend at a cable sompany. She works in the VoD group, but she always provides me with estimates.

She said the final nums were a bit softer than last week's projections.

She only has one region of the country, so they project nationals using a formula. It's an inexact science.

If the numbers went crazy in one region, or certain metro areas, it could be a bit higher...or a bit lower. But she said to expect numbers that are generally in line with Delahoya-Pacquiao.

Just some info. Don't ask me for a link. Ignore this info if it has zero credibility with you. No need for snarky commnets.... just sharing what I have.

as

Comment

Working...
                      X