Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is boxing popular in your circle of friends...?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah my friends like boxing. Mainly just because they like to watch guys like Froch, Hatton and Haye.
    My friends are ****.

Comment

only people at my gym

my family only knows of the big name fighters

and random people that know I like boxing ask me when ward-pacquiao is going to happen or mayweather-ward

lmao i have to tell them that they are three divisions apart

Comment

None of my friends watch boxing, their more interested in MMA and UFC. They like to criticize me for watching boxing since I follow the lighter weight classes (flyweight, etc.). The only time I could convince them to watch a boxing match was Pacquiao vs Clottey which was boring, so that that turned them off to boxing even more. The last few UFC PPVs ****** (GSP vs Hardy and Anderson vs Maia) so some of them brought up the possibility of giving boxing another try.

Comment

Friends? No.. but my pops and couple of my uncles follow boxing as much as I do you'll actually be somewhat surprised. Some of my friends only know the big names like Pacquiao, mayweather and De la hoya. But my dad knows who paul williams or kelly pavlik or margarito those guys. Just last saturday. he asks me if the pavlik-martinez fight was on that day. And then when news of valero's death broke out he tells me about it after I got home. it's weird.

Comment

All but 2 of the people I know don't give a **** about boxing. The most they'll say is "Ohhhhhh, Tyson maaaaaaaan!" or "Yeeeaaahhh, Ali maaaaaaaan!" whenever I mention the sport. When I mention the stars of today, they just shrug their shoulders in bemusement. I can't blame them, but it's a sad state of affairs compared to 10 years ago when everyone at my high school was buzzing about Lennox-Holyfield, Lennox-Tua, Lennox-Tyson, etc.

Nowadays it's just my bezzie mate and I who follow up on things rabidly. When Hatton-Mayweather came along, we both suddenly rediscovered the passion and wanted more. Fast-forward to Calzaghe-Hopkins, and it's at that point where we both made that conscious decision to dive back into the sport - that involved finding out who everyone was, the titleholders in each division, marking down upcoming fight dates, and supporting those fighters who appealed to us.

Then again, there's also me mum. She's always liked watching a good scrap on telly if it's a name she knows. :laff2:
            Last edited by PittyPat; 04-21-2010, 08:10 PM.

Comment

I used to hang out with two friends and go out at bars to see boxing PPVs on a regular basis for like two years, but they still couldn't be bothered to learn anything other then casual knowledge. One of them even thought Pac vs Morales 1 was boring...we don't talk anymore lol.

I have one friend who kickboxes and he has some interest, though I probably bore him with all my constant boxing talk.

Comment

No I only have one friend who likes boxing and he is the one who got me into it. I have one other friend that is a big mma fan and watches boxing whenever its on free but does not follow it like me.

Comment

My friends will only watch something that has been hyped,

being British if you asked any of my friends who the heavyweight champion of the world is they would answer "David Haye" and if asked who the Klitchko's are they would look with complete bemusement, apart from some British fighters that they might know Mayweather and Pac man that's it,

when it comes to boxing talk this is my fix... god bless the internet

Comment

Originally posted by paddyman87 View Post
                    My friends will only watch something that has been hyped,

being British if you asked any of my friends who the heavyweight champion of the world is they would answer "David Haye" and if asked who the Klitchko's are they would look with complete bemusement, apart from some British fighters that they might know Mayweather and Pac man that's it,

when it comes to boxing talk this is my fix... god bless the internet

I am lucky, i have a lot of friends and associates that follow boxing. Even my dad and stepdad and brother-in-law love boxing. We always have a big crowd for PPV's and we are loving this month of April and May. I cant believe so many people on here dont have friends that follow the Sweet Science. I have turned a lot of people into at least casual fans.

Comment

Most of my friends are into MMA. I have a couple close friends who follow boxing pretty closely. This Valero thing sure didn't help matters for boxing. But boxing is far from dead although it is at a pretty low point now. I like to watch MMA if they stand up but it they don't then it's pretty boring.

Comment

Working...
                      X