Emanuel Steward will train Cotto
By Rey Colón
El Vocero Friday March 19, 2010 09:21
EL VOCERO / Archive

The fight between Yuri Foreman, 154-pound champion of the WBA, and former WBO welterweight king Miguel Cotto, to be held on June 5 at Yankee Stadium, will be officially announced in the first week of April, a month in that the cagueño will start his training camp in Tampa, Florida with his new team who allegedly is headed by trainer Emanuel Steward was learned.
"We will start start to promote the fight the first week of april and announce it official," said Ricardo Jimenez briefly, public relations for the Top Rank.
However, Cotto's publicist does not know if Stewart will be finally the coach hired by Cotto.
"That we know nothing," he said.
Cotto, who after his breakup with his uncle Evangelista Cotto had Joe Santiago as head coach for his last two fights, was in Texas last week as a spectator of the fight between Manny Pacquiao and Joshua Clottey.
And around the Gaylord Texan Resort people saw Steward, with newspaper in hand, faded jeans and a black sweater, sitting peacefully in the hotel lobby and waiting ... for Cotto.
It was speculated that one reason for that Cotto was going to Texas was to complete negotiations with its new coach and were sounding more and Buddy McGirt Ronnie Shields with Orlando Cuellar trailing in fourth place.
The name of Stewart, who on Saturday will go up in Germany at the WBO heavyweight champion, Wladimir Klitschko, against number one challenger, Eddie Chambers, was mentioned, in The Spokesman-initially since last December after the defeat in November 13 Cotto against Pacquiao.
Comment