No announcement yet.

Is Mosley vs Mayweather for the Lineal Title

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chief2ndzOnly! View Post
    Thanks Cliff. That clears up my question in regards to tracing lineage. Now I have another question in gardsto a point that you made earlier of the Johnson vs. Jeffries bout, and Johnson obtaining the lineal rights by beating Jim.

Tommy Burns won that belt off of win over Marvin Hart. Marvin Hart fought for the vacant title left by Jeffries. Being that Jeffries was not going to un-retire until he was begged to do so by the nation(US). It is safe to say that Jeffries would not have come out of retirement if Jack did not beat Tommy in Australia, right?

I thought that by design(being that there was only one belt) Marvin was not the Lineal champ because he fought for a vacant belt. But Tommy on the other hand was the lineal champ because he beat Marvin for the strap, which in turn would make Jack the lineal champ since he beat Tommy. From how you have explained how lineage transfers hands. If Jack would not have beat Tommy then HW lineage would have been lost, what would have been done in that case?
    Right. Burns was the recognized champion. Johnson had to beat him (though Burns was lightly regarded).

Comment

Working...
    X