No announcement yet.

The Unappreciated Sweet Science of Boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AllEyesOpen View Post
    I've been seeing a lot of member's talk about how they dislike "boring" fights, and enjoy true "warrior" in the ring. Now I love watching 2 fighters going at it toe-2-toe as much as the next guy, but equally as much as I enjoy a tough technical battle of skill. My favorite fight, probably of all time is Leonard/Hearns, never have I seen 2 fighters use every skill in their arsenal to come out on top, also never have i seen a fight take a complete 180 degree turn as this one.

So what i'm wondering is does anyone still enjoy and appreciate the sweet science of boxing, using your skill, intelligence, and ability to outclass your opponent?
    I think ANY fan of the sweet science (myself included) loves to see a display of skill, intelligence, ring generalship, pin point counter punching and defensive wizardry. BUT...when a fighter "claims" to be the greatest, yet doesn't fight anyone of late to prove.....when a fighter starts talking about his "money" over potential opponents.....fans of the sweet science could potentially be put off and start looking at the "flaws" of the fighter....

The so-called Sweet Science should not revolve around money.....money should revolve around the Sweet Science.....

Comment

Originally posted by fightfan_79 View Post
      I think ANY fan of the sweet science (myself included) loves to see a display of skill, intelligence, ring generalship, pin point counter punching and defensive wizardry. BUT...when a fighter "claims" to be the greatest, yet doesn't fight anyone of late to prove.....when a fighter starts talking about his "money" over potential opponents.....fans of the sweet science could potentially be put off and start looking at the "flaws" of the fighter....

The so-called Sweet Science should not revolve around money.....money should revolve around the Sweet Science.....
      Very insightful, but everything besides the bold has nothing to do with my original post. I never mentioned any one fighter, just examples of fights that involved a lot of skill between 2 equally matched opponents.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePlugInBabies View Post
        ....and there's nothing more tedious than hollow threads like this filled with posters trying to come off as insightful and knowledgeable by banding around meaningless phrases like 'the art of boxing'.
        So what i'm wondering is does anyone still enjoy and appreciate the sweet science of boxing, using your skill, intelligence, and ability to outclass your opponent?

again... were talking about the sweet science, the art of boxing. the ability to hit without getting hit and using your skill to take advantage of your opponents weaknesses.
        Well, I wasn't just using the words, i explained the concept a few times, so it seems you jumped at the "meaningless phrase".

Comment

Very insightful, but everything besides the bold has nothing to do with my original post. I never mentioned any one fighter, just examples of fights that involved a lot of skill between 2 equally matched opponents.
          Gotcha....its just I saw the "dislike boring fights" and someone came to mind....just been negatively conditioned that way. My bad....

But...its very rare that we (the fans) are treated to such a fight where we get to see 2 "equally matched fighters" go at it.....the last one in my recent memory is Vazquez/Marquez trilogy....that 1st fight was so under the radar.

Comment

I've been seeing a lot of member's talk about how they dislike "boring" fights, and enjoy true "warrior" in the ring. Now I love watching 2 fighters going at it toe-2-toe as much as the next guy, but equally as much as I enjoy a tough technical battle of skill. My favorite fight, probably of all time is Leonard/Hearns, never have I seen 2 fighters use every skill in their arsenal to come out on top, also never have i seen a fight take a complete 180 degree turn as this one.

im with you on that one.. i definitely love both..
            but i admire skills/techinque more than anything in a boxer
            so

guys like Whitaker, Toney, Jones Jr. Hopkins, Leonard, and Mayweather
            will always be up there in my book

i love the way they outclass their opponents

its ART in its purest form to my eyes

Comment

it took me quite a while to adapt and apreciate the more technical aspects of boxing as a sport.

sure everyone loves a good action packed slugfest ... but you can't expect that everytime you watch.

**I really blame the media for why boxing is viewed on so negatively at times .. look at how The Contender and Rocky are portrayed for example (the combat side of it)

Comment

Beast thread and I also talk about it alot. I love pretty much every pure boxer and there is nothing better to me than a high speed chess match. I loved the 2 Judah-Spinks fights more than anything and I also loved Floyd-Judah

Comment

Working...
                X