No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: "FLOYD MAYWEATHER AND THE CHICKEN THEORY"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by K-Nan View Post
    There was a time when I was really iffy on Mayweather. Like when he went soft against Baldomir. Most of his WW progress has been very disappointing. But I give a man credit where credit is due: he went right after a fight with Pacquiao, contacting GBP as soon as the Cotto fight was over and told them to get it done. He showed no reluctance. The negotiations fell apart and that sucks, but how did Floyd respond? By taking the next best challenge at Welterweight.

As of right now, I can't see how people can be complaining about Mayweather.
    Well, I'm thinking that it is not that he responded. More like pushed by circumstances of Berto's unfortunate situation. It would be a big PR hit if he will not fight or attempt to fight Mosley. If we got a confirmed deal, then I won't complain but will be excited as well... but not as excited a pac-pbf showdown though. But if we got pac-clottey and pbf-mosly, who are we to complain?

Comment

The bottom line is this though most will not admit it. Floyd should have looked to secure a Cotto fight after Hatton. Margarito was always there but he had been shut out the welter lime light by spinks and judah before Floyd got to the weight. Baldomir getting HBO airtime against Gatti after beating Judah on top of the fact he had the major title made the fight happen. Is baldomir better then Margarito? No. He did however have recent exposure that helped him land that fight.Floyd should have fought Cotto but i blame both guys for that not happening. After that Margarito fight would have been nice. People now throw in names that were not even being mentioned back then like Williams and Clottey. Those fights make all the sense in the world NOW. At the time though nobody was calling for him to fight williams or clottey. The cotto fight is my beef. The rest is just over the top.

Comment

Do you really have nothing better to do?

Comment

Originally posted by M.I Truth ? View Post
          The bottom line is this though most will not admit it. Floyd should have looked to secure a Cotto fight after Hatton. Margarito was always there but he had been shut out the welter lime light by spinks and judah before Floyd got to the weight. Baldomir getting HBO airtime against Gatti after beating Judah on top of the fact he had the major title made the fight happen. Is baldomir better then Margarito? No. He did however have recent exposure that helped him land that fight.Floyd should have fought Cotto but i blame both guys for that not happening. After that Margarito fight would have been nice. People now throw in names that were not even being mentioned back then like Williams and Clottey. Those fights make all the sense in the world NOW. At the time though nobody was calling for him to fight williams or clottey. The cotto fight is my beef. The rest is just over the top.
          That is my opinion as well... I think Cotto after Hatton is the only one at welter that he really missed. Not saying that Cotto could have beaten him but Cotto really had an great body of work at 147 and was deserving IMO...

Comment

Originally posted by jkaisen41 View Post
            That is my opinion as well... I think Cotto after Hatton is the only one at welter that he really missed. Not saying that Cotto could have beaten him but Cotto really had an great body of work at 147 and was deserving IMO...
            He missed Margarito too - a Margarito would've drawn as much and probably more PPV sales than Baldomir.

Comment

him versus cotto would have been a good fight, though I see him outboxing him...but many people wanted that fight, me included. i dont think neither side to the steps to actually make it though to be completely honest.

Comment

Originally posted by M.I Truth ? View Post
                Yup. This makes sense. great post. my personal beef is his retirement prior the conclusion of the marg-cotto fight. The stars of those two were very bright when they met. It would have been an epic fight had pbf fought the winner...and a clear claim as the best WW that time ( assuming no lineal belt from Baldomir).

Comment

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
                  He missed Margarito too - a Margarito would've drawn as much and probably more PPV sales than Baldomir.
                  For me not... that Margarito is better then Baldomir is clear but like I said at the time Margarito ain't had more right to fight him then Baldomir... Margarito fought some good contenders who were also ranked... but that's it... you will never have heard of them again... probably Cintron... at the time I think he had not even fought Clottey...

Margarito himself was ranked too that's why I said he could have fought him too... but Margarito never had the body of work that screamed for an Mayweather fight to me IMO... You simply have to see that Mayweather ain't came to welter to pay his dues... he did that already... Margarito was still fighting to become someone... he could have but IMO doesn't need too... Margarito is a case where his feature endevours earned him more respect looking back as he actually had at the time the fight was discussed... It's the same when ppl now bring up May ducked Martinez, Williams, Clottey... these cats at the time around of 2006 or 2007 where nobody's pretty much... but they were there... so ppl act he should have fought them there.

Cotto to me is the only after Hatton that he missed out IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by jkaisen41 View Post
                    For me not... that Margarito is better then Baldomir is clear but like I said at the time Margarito ain't had more right to fight him then Baldomir... Margarito fought some good contenders who were also ranked... but that's it... you will never have heard of them again... probably Cintron... at the time I think he had not even fought Clottey...

Margarito himself was ranked too that's why I said he could have fought him too... but Margarito never had the body of work that screamed for an Mayweather fight to me IMO... You simply have to see that Mayweather ain't came to welter to pay his dues... he did that already... Margarito was still fighting to become someone... he could have but IMO doesn't need too... Margarito is a case where his feature endevours earned him more respect looking back as he actually had at the time the fight was discussed... It's the same when ppl now bring up May ducked Martinez, Williams, Clottey... these cats at the time around of 2006 or 2007 where nobody's pretty much... but they were there... so ppl act he should have fought them there.

Cotto to me is the only after Hatton that he missed out IMO.
                    Margarito was the longest reigning champ at welter and had proven much, much more than Baldomir. How can you argue about body of work then argue that Baldomir had a better resume? I'm not sure that you were following boxing 10-15 years ago but Margarito was pretty much the best welter in the world from 2003-onwards. And he had tough, solid names on his dossier, unlike flash in the pan Baldomir. Certainly Floyd - as astute an observer as anyone - recognized who was the better fighter.

Comment

I honestly don't think Arum at the time had any intention of making any fight with Floyd, be it Cotto or Margarito. He did miss out on some very lucretive and tough fights when he retired, but when he was first an active ww he fought the title holders. Also when he fought Hatton even the HBO announcers had mention that Floyd had told them he wouldn't be fight in calendar 2008 and 2009(which was obviously not true) to let his hands recover and because he said he didn't love boxing anymore. The Marquez fight was very one-sided but i don't think anyone expected it to go the way it did, Marquez is a world class fighter who was outboxed for 12 rounds. In the end Floyd motives are his own but if the best fights make the biggest money he will take them, unfoturnately Boxing is as much a business as it is a sport. At least right now he's planning to fighting the #1 welterweight in the world.

Comment

Working...
                      X