No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: "FLOYD MAYWEATHER AND THE CHICKEN THEORY"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AllEyesOpen View Post
    I honestly don't think Arum at the time had any intention of making any fight with Floyd, be it Cotto or Margarito. He did miss out on some very lucretive and tough fights when he retired, but when he was first an active ww he fought the title holders. Also when he fought Hatton even the HBO announcers had mention that Floyd had told them he wouldn't be fight in calendar 2008 and 2009(which was obviously not true) to let his hands recover and because he said he didn't love boxing anymore. The Marquez fight was very one-sided but i don't think anyone expected it to go the way it did, Marquez is a world class fighter who was outboxed for 12 rounds. In the end Floyd motives are his own but if the best fights make the biggest money he will take them, unfoturnately Boxing is as much a business as it is a sport. At least right now he's planning to fighting the #1 welterweight in the world.
    Arum definitely didn't want to give Cotto to Floyd. But he definitely wanted Margarito for him.

Comment

Originally posted by baracuda View Post
      really?.........baldo and judah over cotto and margo?.....bs....lol
      in 2006, hell yeah!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
        Margarito was the longest reigning champ at welter and had proven much, much more than Baldomir. How can you argue about body of work then argue that Baldomir had a better resume? I'm not sure that you were following boxing 10-15 years ago but Margarito was pretty much the best welter in the world from 2003-onwards. And he had tough, solid names on his dossier, unlike flash in the pan Baldomir. Certainly Floyd - as astute an observer as anyone - recognized who was the better fighter.
        I think Tony gets the fight if HBO backed him and showcased him at the time. They often times make certain fighters seem more important than others. I mean that interview people love to post with Brian Kenny had him bashing Mayweather for not fighting hatton and baldomir. Even Espns "boxing guy" didnt realize tony presented a better fight. HBO was fully behind Cotto and he was built up as hight as he could be after he beat Mosley. Thats why I think he should have fought Cotto with out doubt. The fight was already built.

Comment

Margarito was the longest reigning champ at welter and had proven much, much more than Baldomir. How can you argue about body of work then argue that Baldomir had a better resume? I'm not sure that you were following boxing 10-15 years ago but Margarito was pretty much the best welter in the world from 2003-onwards. And he had tough, solid names on his dossier, unlike flash in the pan Baldomir. Certainly Floyd - as astute an observer as anyone - recognized who was the better fighter.
          To me there is a difference between fighters who are contenders at a time and fighters who are contenders and stay there... guys like Lewis, Kyvelos, Lujan all ranked guys if I'm right but they did pretty much nothing in the sport... the real big wins in his career for me are against Clottey and Cotto... because these two actually stayed on top for a whilem fighting good opposition...

Baldomir beat the undisputed champion Judah, beat Gatti (who is a former two division champion and was of course past his prime) and even had a win over Clottey... even though Clottey was of course DQ'd. Baldomir was undeafeated for many years and also fought some solid opponents... nothing big but solid...

I never said that he had nothing but for a guy who is a career welter it wasn't anything out of this world... the same goes for Baldomir... but Baldomir had some big wins over name opponents... Margarito proabably fought the tougher fighters but like said guys like Lewis, Kyvelos, Lujan are not guys that will be remembered...

Do you really wanted to see Floyd against Margarito seriously??? I mean May-Mosley and May-Cotto are understandable but Margarito???

Comment

Originally posted by M.I Truth ? View Post
            I think Tony gets the fight if HBO backed him and showcased him at the time. They often times make certain fighters seem more important than others. I mean that interview people love to post with Brian Kenny had him bashing Mayweather for not fighting hatton and baldomir. Even Espns "boxing guy" didnt realize tony presented a better fight. HBO was fully behind Cotto and he was built up as hight as he could be after he beat Mosley. Thats why I think he should have fought Cotto with out doubt. The fight was already built.
            HBO showcased him plenty of times. Baldomir hasn't had a fraction of the HBO appearances Margarito had. Plus, everyone was mentioning Margarito back then and he had a nice following on the west coast.

Comment

Arum definitely didn't want to give Cotto to Floyd. But he definitely wanted Margarito for him.
              I remember someone posting about this, i'm not sure, but they said at the time Floyd and Arum were in the middle of legal issues and he probably wouldn't have gone through with the 8 million offer. but at the time Margarito had the WBO title and Baldomir had the WBC and Ring title. For 8 million Baldomir was the better choice. Plus and i know i've said this before, at the time people were claiming Floyd was ducking Baldomir, especially after taking the Judah fight first.

Comment

no he wasn't and he hadn't beat nobody back then. his title that he had a long reign was won off a vacant title. besides Cotto what champion did margarito beat? and he needed bricks to do that.

Margarito was nobody but a title holder. Baldomir beat the undisputed champ who beat Spinks who mayorga who forrest who beat Mosley. he even whooped on gatti as well. maragrito can't say the same still!

Comment

Originally posted by cortdawg25 View Post
                  in 2006, hell yeah!!!!
                  noway that an undefeated champion and the longest ww champ were lesser fighters than a ww champ with 9 losses and a gatekeeper....total garbage...

Comment

yeah with options!

Comment

HBO showcased him plenty of times. Baldomir hasn't had a fraction of the HBO appearances Margarito had. Plus, everyone was mentioning Margarito back then and he had a nice following on the west coast.
                      I thought around that time Margarito was fight on Showtime, the Clottey fight was on showtime in '06.

Comment

Working...
                      X