No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: "FLOYD MAYWEATHER AND THE CHICKEN THEORY"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
    Margarito had been on HBO for years. Since 2002. He'd also been on Showtime before that. Lest we forget, Margarito headlined an ESPN PPV where Mosley was on...the undercard.

But back to HBO. They simply could not get a fight done between him and Mayorga (after Mayorga beat Forrest twice) simply because King didn't want to put Mayorga in with anyone but one of his fighters. I think we've discussed this extensively. Both were HBO fighters at the time but King took Mayorga elsewhere and put him in the ring with another one of his own fighters instead of the big threat (sound familiar). Too bad Mayorga lost that fight (to Spinks). So what did King do? Put Spinks in with another one of his own fighters (Zab). And so on and so on. Margarito had several fights on HBO, up to the Santos bout. And returned but was never exclusive to the network (good for him).
    Yeah i do recall talking to you about some of this. Thanks for explaining the whole Margarito/Showtime thing. When it comes to Margarito I always felt that a fight with Mayweather would have been good but I never really expected it to happen. I did expect the Cotto fight though. Do you think Tony will have anything left now that he may be fighting again?

Comment

Originally posted by M.I Truth ? View Post
      Yeah i do recall talking to you about some of this. Thanks for explaining the whole Margarito/Showtime thing. When it comes to Margarito I always felt that a fight with Mayweather would have been good but I never really expected it to happen. I did expect the Cotto fight though. Do you think Tony will have anything left now that he may be fighting again?
      I doubt it. I thought he was slipping after the Clottey fight anyway. And there's no way he's the same fighter after the Cotto fight. Double after the Mosley one.

The chance for the Floyd fight to happen was in Nov 2006, when EVERYONE was screaming for it.

Comment

Originally posted by K-Nan View Post
        That's what I was saying.. But as of right now, I see Floyd doing everything to get the biggest fights AND the biggest challenges.
        Given

1) Floyd's history of ducking at welter

2) The Pac fight Floyd supposedly did "everything" to make happen did not actually push through

3) and the confirmations coming from the camps of Saul Alvarez, Matthew Hatton, Nate Campbell and Paulie the Guido that they've been contacted by Floyd's camp for possible bouts

It would be premature to give Floyd high praises. At least not until he actually steps in the ring against Mosley
        Last edited by FightFreak; 01-21-2010, 01:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LEFTYGUNZZ View Post
          I agree with everything you said that I bolded and I partcially agree with the lines in red to some extent. To me Hatton was never a true Champion at the WW division. Even though he beat Collazo in a ver close fight he moved right back down to JWW and fought Urango and only came back to WW when he was offered a fight with Floyd. Since then he has not foguth above JWW again. So to me he took one fight at WW to test the waters against a good but not elite WW in Collazo came close to losing that fight and then fought a close hard UD against Urango. Everything else you said I pretty much agree with and if I could I would give you some green K for a VERY GOOD WELL THOUGHT OUT POST.....Lefty
          I understand what most mean with smaller in Hatton... because he moved back down yes... but to me one division is one division... I think the Collazo fight was so close because even though Collazo is not an top welter IMO he still had a lot of skill that most Hatton opponents ain't had at 140. It was close though... I don't want to overyhype Hatton or something... but seeing that he was once a champ and combining it with the money that he brings... I can understand that decision... but I also can understand if ppl wanted to see someone else.

Urango fight was hard fought... I believe I heard he was ill though

No problem dude... as long as it stays mannered I have no problem talking to guys even if I have an under look on things... but I also learn a lot new about the sport in conversations...

Comment

Originally posted by The_Executioner View Post
            Yeah Margarito's better than Baldomir but neither guy is some great name to have on your resume...

If you ask me, if Floyd had fought Margarito instead, people would be saying the same about Baldomir who woulda been exposed sooner or later by a top fighter...

Margarito's style is just wrong for Cotto...just like Floyd's style is all wrong for Margarito...
            before the fight, ithought cotto was all wrong for margo too thats why it was the one of the biggest upset of the year besides pac vs hoya...im not convinced floyd could beat margo, tbh......if you look at it now, shane beating margo put shane back to the p4p and the spotlight.....i dont think he could've done it with a baldo win..

Comment

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
              I doubt it. I thought he was slipping after the Clottey fight anyway. And there's no way he's the same fighter after the Cotto fight. Double after the Mosley one.

The chance for the Floyd fight to happen was in Nov 2006, when EVERYONE was screaming for it.
              I picked Clottey to beat Tony and I looked like a star for 5 rnds. In 2006 I went to Hooters in wayne(i know u know jersey) to watch the Floyd Baldomir fight. A couple guys screaming for a Margarito fight and a lot really wanted a De la Hoya fight. (Obviously) I was surprised at how many people there thought Baldomir would win. Maybe im biased because I was never big on Tony.

Comment

Originally posted by baracuda View Post
                thats because he got to keep his belt after getting whooped by baldo before fighting floyd......margo was a bigger name than baldo, and was way beter fighter than by far
                listen bro, judah was the undisputed champ by beatin spinks. The deal between floyd and judah was already signed and sealed before the baldomir fight.

He was no gatekeeper! Baldomir was more recognizable and more deserving than margarito. Six heads lewis. Lujan, and shot gum gomez is no world beaters

baldomir beat thee guy in judah, he was no gatekeeper then.

Comment

Lefty peep this. Not sure if it's true. I couldn't find any other articles supporting it but it gives a different story of why Mayweather didn't fight Marg. Have you ever heard this story? Like I said I'm not sure how credible it is but there's a link at the bottom. The original article is long and I skipped to the good part.

Originally posted by -Rabbit Punch- View Post

Enter Antonio (A.K.A. Tony, B.K.A. “Hands of Stone”- sorry, I had to go there) Margarito. The offer made by Top Rank to Mayweather was to fight Margarito in August 2006 for $8 million. Did ‘May’ turn down the $8 million offer that people unwaveringly remind me about three years later? Of course he did. But nobody ever talks about the “why”. Why did he reject the offer?
                  Well here is what ‘May’ did. Remember, we are sticking to the facts. No conjecture. He countered Top Rank’s offer and told them he would fight Margarito in August for the $8 million. The only stipulation was after he beat Margarito, he wanted Top Rank to guarantee him $10 million for the Cotto fight that would surely follow. How’s that for ducking Cotto and Margarito? These are the facts. But there’s more. Top Rank was only willing to guarantee $7 million for a Cotto fight, not the $10 million request.

Okay readers, before I continue let’s do a little math. Cotto was Top Rank’s money fighter during this time. Agreed? I have my cyber helmet on now and I’ll put myself in Money May’s shoes for a minute. Why would I fight Antonio Margarito for $8 million and then come back and fight the money guy, THE MONEY guy Cotto for $1 million less? It doesn’t make sense. So I ask you once again. Put yourself in May’s shoes. What would YOU do?

Once Top Rank wouldn’t budge, ‘May’ wrote a check for $750,000 and told Top Rank that he no longer needed their services. He bought his contract out. Let me add that he also asked Top Rank to get him $20 million for a De La Hoya fight. Top Rank didn’t think there was $20 million for him to make on that fight. In a manner of speaking, they were correct. Money May went on to make $30 million for the De La Hoya fight and probably at least $20 million from the Hatton tussle. Not to mention $8 million (amount sound familiar?) for the fight with Carlos Baldomir. He will also receive eight figures for the Marquez fight. He sold himself as the bad guy and a few 24/7 episodes later it has paid off for him. So I ask you one last time… what would YOU do?

The entire article can be found here
                  http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=309689

Comment

Originally posted by M.I Truth ? View Post
                    I picked Clottey to beat Tony and I looked like a star for 5 rnds. In 2006 I went to Hooters in wayne(i know u know jersey) to watch the Floyd Baldomir fight. A couple guys screaming for a Margarito fight and a lot really wanted a De la Hoya fight. (Obviously) I was surprised at how many people there thought Baldomir would win. Maybe im biased because I was never big on Tony.
                    My friends hyped up Baldomir so much I began drinking the koolaid too. But I always believed Margarito was the toughest test and a fight Floyd didn't want - whether it was because of Arum or something else.

Comment

• Originally posted by baracuda View Post
                      before the fight, ithought cotto was all wrong for margo too thats why it was the one of the biggest upset of the year besides pac vs hoya...im not convinced floyd could beat margo, tbh......if you look at it now, shane beating margo put shane back to the p4p and the spotlight.....i dont think he could've done it with a baldo win..
                      Because people thought Margarito was better than he really was...

Margarito is tailor-made for someone like Shane...

I don't see how you think Margarito would beat Floyd on paper...

Margarito relies on his workrate and pressure...Floyd's a defensive fighter and would easily take away that workrate...

Margarito gets to opponents through accumulation of punches...if the punches aren't landing, he's screwed...

Shane stood right in front of him and he couldn't lay a glove on him...

P. Will took his workrate away and was outworked Margarito for the first 7-8 rounds...

Comment

Working...
                      X