Collapse
No announcement yet.

What causes the most boxing deaths

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

billionaire, I expect more from you than just voting out of spite for Manny. Can you explain your choice of voting for "Fighters on PED's unfairly beating another guy to death"?

Comment

Originally posted by B u r n e r View Post
      I doubt yall gon agree with me..but something is just wrong with grown men weighing 105, 108, 112, 115, 118 etc..I love the little guys but I think something has to be said about guys that small beating each other over the head.
      Guys have been fighting at those weights for generations.....

The reason many deaths occur in the low weights is because at those weights the fights are usually very high paced compared to heavier categories, many, many blows are landed, add in the fact that many mexicans and thais who like to mix it up fight at those weights, and also guys draining themselves down too low...

Comment

Originally posted by MurderDeathKill View Post
        Referees and cornermen who will not do their job and stop a fight when it's clear one man has had more than enough.
        i lay it more at the feet of the corner they see their fighter daily, and should have a better grasp as to what condition he is in. too many times the corner is too brave for the fighters well being. .

Comment

The poll that was posted is fuking stupid! Those things contribute to less than 1% of all deaths in the ring.

Boxers die because of the lack of National and International commissions that would enforce safety standards.

Comment

Originally posted by pistol whip View Post
            The poll that was posted is fuking stupid! Those things contribute to less than 1% of all deaths in the ring.

Boxers die because of the lack of National and International commissions that would enforce safety standards.

Re-think that for a minute, my man. Boxers die in the ring as a direct result of what happens in there and/or their preparation leading up to the fight. If you disagree thats fine, but I am very interested where you got the "Those things contribute to less than 1% of all deaths in the ring" statistic.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post

Re-think that for a minute, my man. Boxers die in the ring as a direct result of what happens in there and/or their preparation leading up to the fight. If you disagree thats fine, but I am very interested where you got the "Those things contribute to less than 1% of all deaths in the ring" statistic.
              Well for one ring death doesn't occur from just one punch in the modern age of boxing it usually comes from an accumilation of punches over an entire career. So to say that a fighter who dies in the ring has had fights with multiple opponents taking PED's is far fetched and highly unlikely considering a lot of these deaths occur in states where PED testing is very stringent.

The truth is people die in the ring from a combination of long term damage, pre exsisting brain conditions, and the little know fact that boxing gloves arn't as safe as most people think they are. In fact they do more bad then good according to a lot of medical studies i have read over the years.

Comment

Originally posted by pistol whip View Post
                Well for one ring death doesn't occur from just one punch in the modern age of boxing it usually comes from an accumilation of punches over an entire career.
                In which case every boxer is in danger of being killed in the ring, right? And if that is right than there have to be conditions which can magnify these circumstances. No?

So to say that a fighter who dies in the ring has had fights with multiple opponents taking PED's is far fetched and highly unlikely considering a lot of these deaths occur in states where PED testing is very stringent.
                That option was strictly for the clowns on here saying that steroids could lead to a death in the ring. Maybe they could, but as of right now I've never heard of it happening and nobody has shown me any proof of it either.

The truth is people die in the ring from a combination of long term damage, pre exsisting brain conditions, and the little know fact that boxing gloves arn't as safe as most people think they are. In fact they do more bad then good according to a lot of medical studies i have read over the years.
                Im sure these things have all factored in to certain (possibly many) ring deaths in the past. But they are surely not the only things that have caused death in the ring. Its been well documented that dehydration has led to brain injuries in the ring resulting in death. If this is the case than the 4th option on the poll can't be "****in stupid" as you've already said so eloquently, can it?

Comment

I actually wrote a report for one of my college classes a couple years ago about ring-related deaths. Like everyone has said, most deaths occur at the smaller weight class (I think the most deaths have occurred at lightweight if I remember correctly).

The obvious reasons are that fighters dehydrate themselves to make the weights, and more fighters lack 1-punch knockout power at the lower weights.

I also want to add that some of the little dudes more than you might expect have eating disorders (bulimia, anorexia). It's actually more common than you might expect in boxing, wrestling, and probably every other sport with weight limits.

Comment

Originally posted by Makavelli View Post
                    briefly skimmed thru it but it's got some data bro

http://ejmas.com/jcs/jcsart_svinth_a_0700.htm
                    That report was one of my main sources when I wrote my paper. The sad thing is, you have to remember that it's not totally accurate or complete, and there were almost certainly more deaths that weren't listed.

Comment

Originally posted by rj_ct View Post
                      I actually wrote a report for one of my college classes a couple years ago about ring-related deaths. Like everyone has said, most deaths occur at the smaller weight class (I think the most deaths have occurred at lightweight if I remember correctly).

The obvious reasons are that fighters dehydrate themselves to make the weights, and more fighters lack 1-punch knockout power at the lower weights.

I also want to add that some of the little dudes more than you might expect have eating disorders (bulimia, anorexia). It's actually more common than you might expect in boxing, wrestling, and probably every other sport with weight limits.
                      Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                      X