Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let's Be Honest People, Floyd "Money" Mayweather Is The Reason Boxing Has Returned

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mr. President View Post
    First off, i'm not one of those people who ever thought boxing was dying. It obviously went through a dark patch for a couple of years and it's no coincidence that it's darkest time in recent memory was the 2 years Mayweather was retired.

While he was on hiatus, that gave the UFC room to gain some traction because boxing didnt have any stars capable of filling his shoes. It created this myth that the UFC was taking boxings spot which was swiftly shot down when Mayweather made his return against Marquez. Top Rank and HBO deserve some credit too for using their hype machine to convince people who don't know a lot about the sport that Pacquiao is as good as they claim he is, but clearly Mayweather was the driving force behind boxing making it's comeback.

The timeline of when boxing started "dying" then made it's return fits Mayweathers retirement schedule to a tee. Being the great sportsman that he is, Floyd has never brought it up but the guy deserves credit for almost single handedly putting the spark back into the sport.
    Stopped reading right there.

That just isn't true. Boxing did not hit a declined when Floyd left, and if it did, it sure wasn't cause Floyd left.

There were good fights being made left and right.

That last line (just hapen to look up and see it), is total BS! Pac has single handedly brought the sport back to the spotlight.

Floyd did nothing but return (after Manny gave the sport a buzz again)...when he never should have left in the first place.

Comment

First off, i'm not one of those people who ever thought boxing was dying. It obviously went through a dark patch for a couple of years and it's no coincidence that it's darkest time in recent memory was the 2 years Mayweather was retired.

While he was on hiatus, that gave the UFC room to gain some traction because boxing didnt have any stars capable of filling his shoes. It created this myth that the UFC was taking boxings spot which was swiftly shot down when Mayweather made his return against Marquez. Top Rank and HBO deserve some credit too for using their hype machine to convince people who don't know a lot about the sport that Pacquiao is as good as they claim he is, but clearly Mayweather was the driving force behind boxing making it's comeback.

The timeline of when boxing started "dying" then made it's return fits Mayweathers retirement schedule to a tee. Being the great sportsman that he is, Floyd has never brought it up but the guy deserves credit for almost single handedly putting the spark back into the sport.

dream on.

Comment

Just to add to my point.

Not a single person stopped watching boxing when Floyd left.

In fact, boxing started generating a decent fan base of new fans while Floyd was gone.

Not even Floyd fans missed him as much as they would like you to believe.

Truth:
        The sport did not suffer when Floyd left. The sport got all the buzz it needed in Pacman.....

Comment

Floyd vs. manny will be THE fight, it will determine who is the best P4P fighter ever. Even if a new upstart were to come along and beat the winner of this fight it'l just be because they are post prime. The coolest thing would be an epicly close battle with a SD win and a rematch were one of the 2 gets KO'd in the twelth.

Comment

Originally posted by HandSpeed303 View Post
            Just to add to my point.

In fact, boxing started generating a decent fan base of new fans while Floyd was gone.

Truth:
            The sport did not suffer when Floyd left. The sport got all the buzz it needed in Pacman.....
            Quoted for truth!

In fact, i got disgusted when he came back and fought marquez in a 'devastating' style without knocking him even if he cheated on the scales.

A REAL FRAUD = FLOYD JR. !

Comment

Originally posted by HandSpeed303 View Post
              Just to add to my point.

Truth:
              no one fighter is bigger than the sport, if you stop watching because one person is no longer involved, you werent really a fan of the sport itself just the fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by El Jesus View Post
                no one fighter is bigger than the sport, if you stop watching because one person is no longer involved, you werent really a fan of the sport itself just the fighter.
                Thanks for expanding on my point. My whole thing is, he is trying to make it seem like boxing begins, and ends with Floyd, it doesn't...That was proven. When he left, no one missed him (except a few fans of his).

Comment

Oh Really Mr. president ? ? ?

So youre Saying about Charisma Huh ? ? ?

You Know What About Charisma? ? ?

Whenever Pacman Is Figthing...

Its A Zero Crime In Philippines...

You Can Even Sleep In Every Primary Road Coz No One Is At The Streets...

Not A Single Person...

The Working Man Stops...

Even Church Are In Midst Whenever Pac has A Fight...

That Was Charisma Is...

Pacman Is A Guy Who Can Unite A Nation...

But Im Not Telling This Coz I Want Pacman To Win In The Coming Election...

Enough Said...

:****you:

Comment

Originally posted by Gutz View Post
                    I'm waiting for Mr president to name them too..
                    I am going to keep bumping this thread until he names them

Comment

Couldnt disagree more. Boxing doesnt need Mayweather,and was getting along fine without him. During his abscence a new superstar has risen,and refreshingly,one who not only is a great champion and a humble guy,but one who will take on all comers. thats what boxing needs and not some classless braggart with a terrible reputation for cherry picking.

Comment

Working...
                      X