No announcement yet.

How Can Cotto Avoid Getting Turned?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Can Cotto Avoid Getting Turned?

I see Pac's lateral movements frustrating Cotto, who will get turned time and time and again by the Filipino's footwork. Counterclockwise movements will negate Cotto's left hook.

Punch-wise, Pac's gonna land his fists first before Cotto does. Straight and looping lefts will find their mark. Uppercuts, ditto.

That'll be the main plot right there.

I think Brits will understand if I compare Pac to a football striker turning a defender through superior footwork and feints.

Originally posted by killakali View Post
    I see Pac's lateral movements frustrating Cotto, who will get turned time and time and again by the Filipino's footwork. Counterclockwise movements will negate Cotto's left hook.

Punch-wise, Pac's gonna land his fists first before Cotto does. Straight and looping lefts will find their mark. Uppercuts, ditto.

That'll be the main plot right there.

I think Brits will understand if I compare Pac to a football striker turning a defender through superior footwork and feints.
    Good football analogy.....If Pacquiao can confuse cotto w/ his footwork, I don't see him having any problems...However, If Cotto is successful in reading Pacquiao's movements, Manny may be in trouble...

Comment

Yup, good points man.

Originally posted by oaba09 View Post
      However, If Cotto is successful in reading Pacquiao's movements, Manny may be in trouble...
      Pacquiao has a real broken rhythem to his movements though, making it hard to anticipate/time them. That plus the handspeed are the things i'm interested in watching Cotto try to deal with.

I'm just excited to see who can deal with/counter the other guys strengths and impose their own.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikhnienko View Post
        Yup, good points man.

Pacquiao has a real broken rhythem to his movements though, making it hard to anticipate/time them. That plus the handspeed are the things i'm interested in watching Cotto try to deal with.

I'm just excited to see who can deal with/counter the other guys strengths and impose their own.
        I guess it all comes down to who studied their opponent more......Boxing is not just about training, it's also about studying your opponent's strengths and weaknesses...We're in for a great fight

Comment

Originally posted by oaba09 View Post
          I guess it all comes down to who studied their opponent more......Boxing is not just about training, it's also about studying your opponent's strengths and weaknesses...We're in for a great fight
          yep. i hope the fight lasts longer than eight rounds.

cotto's only weapon will be timing pac's movements and doing a marquez/morales.

Comment

i get exactly what you mean,especially about the football bit
            manny lands his shots aswell as frustratrating his opponent by not being there too hit when they come back at him
            cotto has dealt well with speed and movement in the past,but no-one that has the same intensity that manny does,his jab is important tonight and he has too hope he can land it enough too hurt manny aswel

Comment

That's the area where manny made a lot of improvements(footwork)...That also made his defense a lot better......I'm hoping for a round 8 or 9 KO win for Manny...

Comment

Who do you think has shown a better ability to adapt/adjust during fights in the past?

I think Cotto without a doubt throughout the past. Manny used to be 1-dimensional but now is indeed someone who is more than a 1 trick pony. Only thing is over the last year or two Pacquiao hasn't needed to adapt his game during a fight cuz Diaz, Oscar, & Hatton didn't have **** to offer.

I think Manny has a good variety of tools now but it remains to be seen if he can adjust since he hasn't had to do it recently.

Comment

THe way anyone else has to. Realistically, Manny still has his money punch in his straight one-two. His left hand. So, Miguel should be circling to his own left, anyway. Away from the power, to force the power off when Manny extends and to also give the punch a further distance to travel, thus allowing timing and countering advantages.

So, he needs to circle to his own left and keep his lead foot on the outside of Manny's lead foot, this way he can successfully pressure him, while at the same time staying away from the power in Manny's left hand.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikhnienko View Post
                    Who do you think has shown a better ability to adapt/adjust during fights in the past?

I think Cotto without a doubt throughout the past. Manny used to be 1-dimensional but now is indeed someone who is more than a 1 trick pony. Only thing is over the last year or two Pacquiao hasn't need to adapt his game during a fight cuz Diaz, Oscar, & Hatton didn't have **** to offer.

I think Manny has a good variety of tools now but it remains to be seen if he can adjust since he hasn't had to do it recently.
                    This is the area where Cotto has an advantage...He has the ability to become a boxer or a brawler depending on his opponent's style...However, Manny's style is so unorthodox that it's gonna be hard for Cotto to make adjustments.....

Comment

Working...
                    X