No announcement yet.

How Can Cotto Avoid Getting Turned?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ..Calderownz... View Post
    THe way anyone else has to. Realistically, Manny still has his money punch in his straight one-two. His left hand. So, Miguel should be circling to his own left, anyway. Away from the power, to force the power off when Manny extends and to also give the punch a further distance to travel, thus allowing timing and countering advantages.

So, he needs to circle to his own left and keep his lead foot on the outside of Manny's lead foot, this way he can successfully pressure him, while at the same time staying away from the power in Manny's left hand.
    Yup and while Pacquiao has shown that he has a great right hook recently i still like Cotto's chances if it turns into a hooking contest.

Power wise that is, i would worry about his left hook being too slow, manny reading them & coming overtop of it with his own like vs Hatton fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikhnienko View Post
      Yup and while Pacquiao has shown that he has a great right hook recently i still like Cotto's chances if it turns into a hooking contest.

Power wise that is, i would worry about his left hook being too slow, manny reading them & coming overtop of it with his own like vs Hatton fight.
      manny has developed his right hand through the years. two of hatton's knockdowns came from pac's right, if i remember correctly.

cotto will have to rely on reading and timing pac's movements. i won't be surprised if he switches to southpaw midway into the fight.

Comment

<----------------- a good example of pac's incredible handspeed.

Comment

His footwork is good no doubt. But if Cotto pumps that stff jab he can disrupt Manny's rhythm.

The jab is key. If Cotto can use it correctly he can control what Manny can in there to an extent.

Comment

Originally posted by thephantom5 View Post
            His footwork is good no doubt. But if Cotto pumps that stff jab he can disrupt Manny's rhythm.

The jab is key. If Cotto can use it correctly he can control what Manny can in there to an extent.
            Yep. Cotto's jab sent Clottey to the floor. He has to time it right, though or it'll be a fiesta for Pac.

Comment

Originally posted by ..Calderownz... View Post
              THe way anyone else has to. Realistically, Manny still has his money punch in his straight one-two. His left hand. So, Miguel should be circling to his own left, anyway. Away from the power, to force the power off when Manny extends and to also give the punch a further distance to travel, thus allowing timing and countering advantages.

So, he needs to circle to his own left and keep his lead foot on the outside of Manny's lead foot, this way he can successfully pressure him, while at the same time staying away from the power in Manny's left hand.
              I just remembered that cotto's a leftie like pac but he fights orthodox. moving to his own left will take away his power left jab.

uh-oh. problem there for the cotto camp.

Comment

If Cotto cant deal with the speed he's in alot of trouble. He has to find a way in and close the gap on pacquiao, at distance pacquiao will be throwing combos from all angles and his movement is going to cause problems. Cotto needs to make his punches count, that will be the key for him. I hope Cotto doesn't go hunting him down in there because it's a bad idea and will work perfectly in Pacquiao's favour. How many fighters have we seen come forward to see them get bombarded with flurys of punches from Pacquiao!

Comment

Originally posted by killakali View Post
                  I just remembered that cotto's a leftie like pac but he fights orthodox. moving to his own left will take away his power left jab.

uh-oh. problem there for the cotto camp.
                  IMO, this is more of a problem for pac. If he ever forget this, he would move to his right and would play on the stronger side of Cotto (cotto's left). In the DLH, he was so much faster than dlh ... that when pac moved to his right, he was already out of reach by dlh's left. Dlh was then forced to use his right which is almost useless for him. Cotto is deceptively slow because of his measured approach but in reality when he strikes ... he is quite fast.

Comment

Key to Victory for Cotto is body shots and he throws them well. Pacman doesn't have the best defense but he can move his head and react quickly. In order for Pac to win he will have to be busy and not be able to become a still target. Combination punching sneaking a hard left at times will be the key for him

Comment

He had a hard time avoiding Morales's jab in the first fight and half way through there second fight. Marquez when he used his jab was able to position Manny for the straight right.
                      Last edited by Evil Abed; 11-14-2009, 08:59 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X