Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kessler Vs. Ward: Thoughts?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think Ward is Kesslers biggest challenge... and that's with unbiased judges
    He'd steamroll Froch
    Stop Dirrell
    Outpoint Abraham
    KO Taylor
    But this one is going to be a close one IMO.

Comment

Kessler is class. Don't know enough about Ward but this will be a good fight.

Comment

I take BattlingNelson's point about Kessler possibly being injured but man! when you watch this you can see the kind of problems Kessler is going to have with Ward imo, not to say he want or cant win, but i think it will be a tricky fight for him.

Comment

Ward will be looking to survive and let the hometown judges do his job for him. Kessler has to go after him and make him fight either knock him out or Andrade him.

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
            Kessler adjusted excellently to Perdomo's unusual tactics. Perdomo had never started out wailing away and Kessler was unprepared for that. He then decided to move in half a step closer and 3 min. later the fight was over.
            That is correct, but Perdomo, while awkward, was still there to be hit and does not have the same style of Ward. I was talking more along the lines of an elusive type fighter. Kessler did beat Mundine who used the ring a lot, but IMO Mundine isn't as good as Ward and didn't offer Kessler a variety of different looks.

Which brings up the next point. How much rust is still left? Kessler was off a long time and only went four rounds. His next opponent is the best he's faced since Calzaghe. If he didn't shed it all, he could be in a hole early.

I'm not suggesting Ward will win, but rather, presenting questions that need to be answered in the fight.

Comment

Early final for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Dynamite Kid View Post
                Hey Shadows the more i think about it the more im starting to favour Ward. The only reason i had/have reservations about him winning is the fact that Kessler is a pretty good puncher and Ward has tasted the canvas against lesser fighters, that said if he does not get knocked out i think he will!! win.

Kessler v Mundine is a blue print for Ward and i think Ward is a better than Mundine. I fully expect his (Ward's) performance to be 20% better than his last performance, but my biggest concern for Kessler is that he attacks in straight lines and Ward uses angles to offset his opponent, Mundine gave Kessler a head ache with those type of angles and Ward is better than Mundine imo.

Kessler would be better served applying lots and lots of pressure and pressing that gap from round 1 onwards imo, but i have a feeling he wont do that, imo he will end up behind on the cards if he does not press the gap and leaves Ward time and space to set up his attacks and think about where to move after he has got his combination's off, then i see him applying loads of pressure late in the fight because he may have fallen behind, Kessler needs to start quick imo.

Kessler should be looking to take Ward out for me.
                Ward will most likely fight this from long range or up close on the inside. I'd be surprised if he stays in the pocket.

Also, when Mundine was cornered or trapped on the ropes, he had nothing to get himself out of trouble. During the Miranda fight, Ward would clinch and bring the fight back to the center of the ring whenever he thought he was getting trapped or cornered.

I'm still sticking with Kessler, obviously. However the more you look into, the more you see that Ward can take advantage of Kessler's weak points and vice vera.

I'm feeling less confident about this fight and see it closer than I previously did. That's saying something too, as I saw it close to begin with.

Comment

Originally posted by Shadows View Post
                  Ward will most likely fight this from long range or up close on the inside. I'd be surprised if he stays in the pocket.

Also, when Mundine was cornered or trapped on the ropes, he had nothing to get himself out of trouble. During the Miranda fight, Ward would clinch and bring the fight back to the center of the ring whenever he thought he was getting trapped or cornered.

I'm still sticking with Kessler, obviously. However the more you look into, the more you see that Ward can take advantage of Kessler's weak points and vice vera.

I'm feeling less confident about this fight and see it closer than I previously did. That's saying something too, as I saw it close to begin with.

Agree.

You are a top analyst Shadows, you really know your Boxing imo.

I would say you and Silencer are the two most knowledgeable posters when it comes to breaking down fights.

Comment

Originally posted by Dynamite Kid View Post
                    Agree.

You are a top analyst Shadows, you really know your Boxing imo.

I would say you and Silencer are the two most knowledgeable posters when it comes to breaking down fights.
                    Thanks for the compliments man, but I'd say Silencers is in a league or three above me.

Plus, you're pretty good yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Shadows View Post
                      Thanks for the compliments man, but I'd say Silencers is in a league or three above me.

Plus, you're pretty good yourself.
                      He is good.

Cheers. Ive been trying to give you a gift but it seems everyone i try is out of stock.

Anyway im looking foward to a good fight and may the best man win.

BTW BattlingNelson i have nothing against your boy Kessler just giving my honest opinion bud. I also think he has a very! good chance of winning.

Comment

Working...
                      X