Collapse
No announcement yet.

Glen Johnson: "Joe Calzaghe Was Scared. He Backed Out Of 3 Fights"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Joe woulda UD'd him, but it's odd the fight never happened.

Comment

Of course Calzaghe would have beaten Johnson but that isnt what we are discussing here, Like people say about Mayweather fans he actually have to get in the ring and beat someone, You dont get point for hypothetical victories.

Comment

Originally posted by Benncollinsaad View Post
        Johnson is a bitter man, but that's no reason why he should be talking absolute crap all the time nowadays. God knows he has his devoted fans among sportswriters. One guy wrote an article about him, you'd think he was writing about Sugar Ray Robinson or someone...
        well actually glen johnson was able to win a title at light heavy where sugar ray robinson failed and quit

glen johnson>sugar ray robinson

Comment

Originally posted by daggum View Post
          well actually glen johnson was able to win a title at light heavy where sugar ray robinson failed and quit

glen johnson>sugar ray robinson
          Lololololol....

Comment

Originally posted by Freddy Krueger View Post
            Joe ducked Johnson for a fight against a belt-holder like Lacy and Kessler. Its so terrible to fight ppl who have belts. Joe ducked Johnson for Eubank

Your comments are not accurate. I remember when Johnson had a fight set up against Calzaghe at 175 long before the Lacy and Kessler fights. The fight was signed and Calzaghe backed out, claiming he had an injury. I remember reading that boxing writers and officials thought that he was out of shape and that was why he backed out. They rescheduled the fight, but the only way Johnson would take it was if Calzaghe gave him more money. They signed that fight. However, Johnson then received an offer to fight Jones for more money in Jones comeback bout after being KO'd by Tarver. He took the fight and KO'd Jones.

Calzaghe did not want anything to do with Johnson after that. The last I heard about a bout between the two, Calzaghe was demanding that Johnson come down to 168 to fight him. That was after Johnson had fought Tarver twice. Johnson couldn't make it and turned the fight down. However, at that same time he was demanding Johnson come down to 168, Calzaghe was trying to secure a fight against Clinton Woods at 175. It was after that time that Calzaghe then moved up to 175 to fight an over-the-hill Hopkins and Roy Jones.

Comment

Originally posted by big_james10 View Post
              Your comments are not accurate. I remember when Johnson had a fight set up against Calzaghe at 175 long before the Lacy and Kessler fights. The fight was signed and Calzaghe backed out, claiming he had an injury. I remember reading that boxing writers and officials thought that he was out of shape and that was why he backed out. They rescheduled the fight, but the only way Johnson would take it was if Calzaghe gave him more money. They signed that fight. However, Johnson then received an offer to fight Jones for more money in Jones comeback bout after being KO'd by Tarver. He took the fight and KO'd Jones.

Calzaghe did not want anything to do with Johnson after that. The last I heard about a bout between the two, Calzaghe was demanding that Johnson come down to 168 to fight him. That was after Johnson had fought Tarver twice. Johnson couldn't make it and turned the fight down. However, at that same time he was demanding Johnson come down to 168, Calzaghe was trying to secure a fight against Clinton Woods at 175. It was after that time that Calzaghe then moved up to 175 to fight an over-the-hill Hopkins and Roy Jones.
              Link or it's all just bull**** and slanders!

Comment

Their must of been bigger names out there than him.

Comment

Lol! He thinks that Joe was scared of HIM?!? It wouldn't be a contest even, Joe would play with him!

Really, he must be smoking too much ganja these days...
                  You obviously haven't been watching boxing long. I know for a fact that Calzaghe DID back out of at least one fight with Johnson (claiming an injury. The stories about it were on this site) and told him later that he would have to come to 168 to fight him when he knew Johnson couldn't make 168.

Comment

Link or it's all just bull**** and slanders!
                    Even if I linked it, you wouldn't believe it. I read all of this information I just gave on THIS SITE and others several years ago. If this site had an archives section, I could link it. Of course, you don't believe it because you, like most people on this message board, have only been following boxing for the last two years or less. Yet you think you are experts.

You are probably one of those idiots who think that Calzaghe has been a household name who was drawing 10s of thousands of fans his entire career. However, the fact is that, before the Lacy fight, Calzaghe couldn't draw flies in his own backyard. The Lacy fight was the biggest of his career at the time (and it only drew 12,000 in his hometown and appeared on free tv) and he had already had 30-something fights at the time. Prior to the Lacy fight, he would draw four or 5,000 fans in his own hometown for his fights. Showtime wouldn't show any of his fights before Lacy because he was fighting nothing but stiffs and HBO certainly wouldn't have anything to do with him.
                    Last edited by big_james10; 10-25-2009, 07:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Floyd Joy View Post
                      Their must of been bigger names out there than him.
                      There were, but he wasn't fighting them. Look at Boxrec and see who Calzaghe fought between 2004 and the Lacy fight. None of those guys were big names.

Comment

Working...
                      X