Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do losses count as part of your resume?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do losses count as part of your resume?

I've never heard anyone say "he has four losses on his resume".

When I think of the word resume, I think about what has been accomplished, as in wins.

If we count losses as part of your resume, then wouldn't Jermain Taylor have the best resume of anyone?

If I go out and get my ass kicked by every fighter on the P4P list, does that mean I have a good resume? Even though I got my ass kicked?

I see people putting Floyd Mayweather on Marquez's resume as a positive point. In other words, because he fought Mayweather, his resume is somehow stronger, even though he was embarrassed.

I say your resume is what you've accomplished. Level of competition and record are completely different. What do you think?

Prime example. Judah has fought some very good opposition. But are his accomplishments good?

Mayweather
    Tszyu
    Witter
    Spinks
    Baldomir
    Clottey
    Cotto

Comment

depends on their performance. Duran lost to Hagler, but he was winning on two of the judges scorecards after 12 rounds, was fighting out of his natural weight class and went the full 15 rounds. That's a fair acheivement even though he lost.
      Last edited by eli porter; 10-21-2009, 10:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by eli porter View Post
        depends on their performance. Duran lost to Hagler, but he was winning on two of the judges scorecards after 12 rounds, was fighting out of his natural weight class and went the full 15 rounds. That's a fair acheivement even though he lost.
        True but we don't count Hagler on Duran's resume. It's still a loss even though it's a good performance.

Comment

Originally posted by Shattered Jaw View Post
          Prime example. Judah has fought some very good opposition. But are his accomplishments good?

Mayweather
          Tszyu
          Witter
          Spinks
          Baldomir
          Clottey
          Cotto
          Wow look at that resume!!! Thank you

Comment

a good example of a good loss on a resume, is the loss of Malignaggi against Cotto. That was a close fight, cotto was supposed to walk trhough Paulie in a few rounds with ease, but Paulie gave a great performance, showed a lot of balls and boxing skills. I personally had it much closer than the judges. Matter of fact that fight gave lots of credit to the Magic Man.

Comment

I believe it does!!If u fought good fighters,then u accomplished something,no??

Comment

Originally posted by dans01234 View Post
                True but we don't count Hagler on Duran's resume. It's still a loss even though it's a good performance.
                yeah, maybe it wouldnt be considered to be part of his resume but resumes are used to judge the relative worth of a fighter. If you want to be more indepth in looking at how good they are you have to look at their performances and the context in which they happen not just how many big names they've defeated.

Having said that, comparing resumes is probably the most important and objective way you can judge a fighters merits.

Comment

Originally posted by djsygo View Post
                  a good example of a good loss on a resume, is the loss of Malignaggi against Cotto. That was a close fight, cotto was supposed to walk trhough Paulie in a few rounds with ease, but Paulie gave a great performance, showed a lot of balls and boxing skills. I personally had it much closer than the judges. Matter of fact that fight gave lots of credit to the Magic Man.
                  Okay, but does that count on his resume? When Paulie Malignaggi's carreer is over will you say, "Oh look, he lost to Cotto, that adds to his resume." I don't think so. It adds to his legitimacy and his strength of opposition, but not to his resume.

I once had a dishwashing job that I quit in the middle of a shift. I don't put that on my resume when looking for jobs because I don't consider it an accomplishment. Resume has more to do with accomplishments than strength of opposition or how you won/lost, IMO.

Comment

I would rather have a figth with WW champ SSM on my Res even if he has 4 losses rather than fight the Lightweight champ and know Im going to pound him silly.

People need to realize that Marquez on Floyds Res looks reedyculous but Floyd on Marquez res looks great because he knew he had all the cards stacked against him and he gave it his all but was easily out classed. Marquez gave a gutsy performance and should have been knocked out but wasnt.

It works both ways though. Floyd having Judah on his res at that time was great cause Judah wasnt as washed up as he is now. To me that is a very good quality win for Floyd. His fight with Oscar is very good too because he went up to fight Oscar at 154 taking only his speed as an advantage while oscar had the power and added weight.

Look at Baldo. He was the lineal champ with 9 losses and to me that just says how weak the division is.

I guess what Im trying to say is that losses dont matter as much as quality of opponents. I would much rather be like SSM who has fought the best at their best (forrest and winky) over someone else who hand pick opponents and wont even clean out his own division.

Comment

Working...
                    X