No announcement yet.

The "Mexican Monster" David Benavidez hype train will crash on June 15th

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "Mexican Monster" David Benavidez hype train will crash on June 15th

Let's be real, if you are the face of the sport and the biggest attraction you also have a ton of haters. A ton of people want Canelo to lose, it is the same with all the biggest fighters in the sport, you polarize, you have huge amounts of fans as well as haters. The next supposed savior that will stop the iron chinned number one star in the sport, Canelo is supposedly, as Mike Tyson named him and many enraged casual fans now know him "The Mexican Monster" David Benavidez.

I have never been a huge Canelo fan, I think (as most fans did, as you can see in my signature) he lost the 2 first fights vs GGG, arguably he is 1-1-1, lost first fight clearly, 2nd could be a draw and third he won. When GGG was still in his prime, Canelo didnt wanna deal with GGG, Canelo even dropped his precious WBC belt to avoid GGG for 2 more years until GGG was past 35 years and slowing down.

Anyway, Canelo grew on me in the past couple years, you cannot deny his fantastic resume, moving up in weight several times and taking huge risks, becoming champion in several divisions, even becoming undisputed at 168, becoming pro at age 14 and already having fought 65 times, facing Mosley, Lara, Floyd, Trout, Cotto, Kovalev, Jacobs, GGG x3, Callum Smith, Ryder, Plant, Munguia, Saunders and Bivol among other highly ranked fighters. Canelo has earned his stripes and he can do whatever the fu.. he wants for the rest of his career, it is what Floyd did when he faced Berto and eventually Conor McGregor and he was also critisized because he avoided guys like Margarito and Paul Williams.

Benavidez on the other hand has a very shallow resume with quite a few stumbling blocks, he never moved up in weight even though he could easily fit into 175 and 200lb, he lost his belt twice, once because he was busted for ******* and the 2nd time because he was not making weight. Had he kept his belt and remained disciplined instead, Canelo would have been forced to face him to become undisputed at 168. Now that the WBC finally gave in and wanted to install him as the mandatory for Canelo, he decided to move up in weight to fight Gvozdyk, a fighter who already retired years ago after getting stopped by Beterbiev and then decided to come back and fight again.

After Canelo stopped then undefeated Caleb Plant and Plant signed to face Benavidez, most people thought Plant would get trashed by Benavidez in a couple rounds, but David was not able to stop him, thats when most people realized he is not that Monster some casual fans make him out to be. Other than Plant which good fighters did he face? Andrade, who is only really known for ducking Janibek and going life and death vs Martirosyan, oh and I almost forgot, also for people leaving the arena when he fights because he is that boring to watch.

If you look at Benavidez, who does he remind you of? One of many weight bullies in his division, looking absolutely huge vs most of his opponents (poor Lemieux looked like a little kid next to him), being able to make the weight and then having 36 hours to rehydrate and become absolutely massive, similar to Jarrett Hurd at 154, Errol Spence at 147, as Zurdo Ramirez and Callum Smith at 168.

Now Benavidez decided to fight at 175 vs Gvozdyk, a fighter that was already retired and came back, but for the first time David is facing a guy that is similar in size and reach. I am not even saying that Gvozdyk beats Benavidez, with all that Canelo hype Gvozdyk will have a very rough time on the scorecards and with the ref, but i am confident that Gvozdyk will be able to rough up Benavidez, win quite a few rounds and might be able to crash that hypetrain and make people realize that David is not that monster that he is being advertised once he faces a guy that he doesnt totally outsize. Many Canelo haters and a bunch of casual fans might get a reality check come June 15th when the Mexican Monster will be known as the Mediocre Mexican, or the Mexican Meatshield.

Anyway, after all that talk, I am still quite sure that Canelo will face David Benavidez not later than 2025, if David manages to keeps the demand for the fight up and is able to make 168, possibly in Saudi Arabia. My prediction is this September we will see Canelo face either the bum Berlanga or, outside chance the very dangerous Christian Mbilli, who has a fight later this month, and if his excellency manages and Canelo is on board, we might see Canelo again in December or early next year, possibly facing Crawford or Benavidez, depending how the next couple fights unfold.
    Willow The Wisp Willow The Wisp likes this.

The Nail's going to get his ass nailed to the wall and left hung to dry. Mexican Monster by brutal stoppage. Torchhead will have nowhere to hide after that.
    El_Mero El_Mero Regge Regge like this.

Comment

Gvozdyk is no joke. For sure different animal than Plant and Andrade lol. Benavidez is overrated, he will be food at 175.
      Superbee Superbee likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by JakeTheBoxer View Post
        Gvozdyk is no joke. For sure different animal than Plant and Andrade lol. Benavidez is overrated, he will be food at 175.
        Ok so you're saying Gvozdyk beats Benavidez cool. I'll bump this thread after June 15th. Lol

Comment

Its a good fight honestly, not a cherrypick mismatch, Gvozdyk has skills, could win and that is why its a worthwhile fight to watch. He'll see how Benavidez looks against a quality fighter of similar size.
          Willow The Wisp Willow The Wisp likes this.

Comment

Theirs a reason why Benavides chose Gvozdyk. He wasn’t forced to do it. People are pretty naive.

Comment

There is a reason he has been hiding at 168 all these years. In reality he is bigger than Bivol and Beterbiev together but he never fought a man of his size. His best win is Andrade lol.
              Last edited by JakeTheBoxer; 05-10-2024, 02:13 PM.

Comment

its a pity canelo didnt have the confidence to derail the hype train

Comment

addtext_com_MTUxOTQ1MzY5OTk.jpg

Comment

Boring post with tired arguments and amateur psychology. It's 1 vs 2 in the division and Canelo has no intention of retiring soon so it's not like he's only having one or two cash out fights (like he hasn't made enough money already).

The only people who say things like "he can do what he wants" are weirdos who worship money and celebrity.

Comment

Working...
                    X