Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why don’t David Benavidez fans support him?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bena winning against Canelo will cement his PPV status, at this point his body of work is too thin.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
      He has all these “fans” and supporters, angrily swinging their purse at Canelo. Yet only 60k PPV’s were sold for the Andrade fight, a great match-up, and less than 100k sold vs Plant as well, another great match-up.

I bought both PPV’s as a fan of the sport, but you would think with the way they talk him up that he’d be selling at least around 300-400k PPV buys.

Instead it seems they’re more focused on some other guy that they mockingly call Ginger, who sold 800k PPV’s vs Plant, 700k vs Charlo, 500k vs Bivol, 400k vs Saunders, and 350k vs Ryder. All against very little known names.

Why don’t these supposed fans support Benavidez? He’s a very good fighter, very exciting, and both of his PPV’s were worth buying. I don’t get it.
      Besides Jake Paul, what fight(s) can Canelo take that would do bigger PPV #s than Benavidez? He just fought Mungia who is a lesser PPV draw than Benavidez.
      El_Mero El_Mero likes this.

Comment

What fans ?

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
          He has all these “fans” and supporters, angrily swinging their purse at Canelo. Yet only 60k PPV’s were sold for the Andrade fight, a great match-up, and less than 100k sold vs Plant as well, another great match-up.

I bought both PPV’s as a fan of the sport, but you would think with the way they talk him up that he’d be selling at least around 300-400k PPV buys.

Instead it seems they’re more focused on some other guy that they mockingly call Ginger, who sold 800k PPV’s vs Plant, 700k vs Charlo, 500k vs Bivol, 400k vs Saunders, and 350k vs Ryder. All against very little known names.

Why don’t these supposed fans support Benavidez? He’s a very good fighter, very exciting, and both of his PPV’s were worth buying. I don’t get it.

skill/ability and PPV sales are different numbers. its as old as time. Gatti was popular but not top of the division. This isnt any different than many other fields. Look at pop singers, is it always the most talented singer that makes the most money? or does charisma and image make a bigger impact on ticket sales? Canelo draws in casual fans by the hundreds of thousands every fight.

You also hint at the exact reason Canelo still has his 4 belts. All the ABC's get a percentage of the purse every time Canelo fights and they make way more money if Canelo is champ than if David is champ so they have every financial incentive to protect Canelo and ignore their own rules about mandatories.
          Last edited by elfag; 05-07-2024, 10:30 AM.

Comment

For what it is worth I have attended several live boxing events and that includes Canelo and Benavidez fights.

For starters to compare virtually anyone in boxing to Canelo from a star power perspective is ****** especially if you are very pro-Canelo. No one argues that.

But I have gone to boxing events headlined by world champions that maybe had 20% capacity filled in a not so big venue. Benavidez on the other hand does not have that problem.

He doesn't sell close to in the grand scheme of things to Canelo (as far as gate and PPV) but he does have solid drawing power.

The fan bases for both at th events are also different in my opinion. Canelo has more what I would describe as rabid mexican fans whereas Benavidez has more overall Chicano boxing fans. Meaning at a Canelo fight the people sitting around you won't know much about many of the other fight cards that have happened or are going to happen or other boxers in general. At a Benavidez fight you get more people that are up to date on the sport and give good breakdowns.

I think a fight between those two will bridge that gap between more hard-core and casual fans.

Comment

Originally posted by Dodger07 View Post

Besides Jake Paul, what fight(s) can Canelo take that would do bigger PPV #s than Benavidez? He just fought Mungia who is a lesser PPV draw than Benavidez.

This is also a good point. Benavidez isnt going to sell well fighting some scrub we know he will run over. The people want to see David - Canelo, that fight will sell the most for BOTH of them. The promoters are giving the people fights they dont even want they are protecting canelo to milk the cash cow. It is not in the best interest of the fans.
              Dodger07 Dodger07 likes this.

Comment

Feel like a certain fanbase are delusional that his following mostly consist of Canelo Haters rather than Benavidez fans.

Benavidez does certainly have a big following, and while he does have an entertaining style. He however sn't a PPV draw, he isn't built up star like let's say Tank or Garcia because he is better recognized for his professional accolades like becoming the youngest super middleweight champion, a two time champion that has been built up a good solid resume compared to most fighters his age by beating challenges like Angulo, Andrade, Dirrell and Plant. With up next being Gvozdyk at 175. While Canelo is known for both being built up by the media and taking certain challenges that he has done from 154 up to 175.

If he fought a top opponent like Bivol as headliner on his own unless he gets a longer streak of wins, he won't have much more views than Gervonta Davis does normally against certain handpicked opponents.

150-200 thousand is likely the average that people are willing to pay pay-per-view depending of his opposition. If he fought Canelo it certainly be a pretty big draw, quite bigger than most but Alvarez already gets paid 30-50$ million per fight even with fighting disadvantaged opponents like Jermell Charlo (700,000) or GGG 3 (550,000-575,000).
                Last edited by Feroz; 05-07-2024, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X