No announcement yet.

Prime Rigo vs Inoue.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RJJ-94-02=GOAT View Post

I wanna see Chocolatito fight Donaire now he’s moved to 118.
    That's not bad either, I'm sure Choco desperately wants to get a belt in a 5th weight class

Comment

Originally posted by _Rexy_ View Post

That's not how that works
      I know but sadly the only barometer/gauge we could have. We are having a discussion about a fantasy fight and that’s the common opponent.

Comment

I would surely be rooting for Inoue. Might as well watch a Rigo fight instead of taking horse tranquillizer if you need to sleep.

Comment

Originally posted by garfios View Post

He was never ko, and never really hurt like inoue in that first round. And we saw Rigondeaux well past his prime, nobody could touch him in his youth, he was past it and all the young guns, st+, frampton, mares, quigg, did I miss anyone? Ran away from the guy.
          I think the amateur style is a liability at the very elite level.

Comment

Originally posted by Haka View Post

I think the amateur style is a liability at the very elite level.
            Yes it is, even if you win, you lose. Now, you get a kid like Morrell Jr, juvenile world champ, national champ in a country that breath boxing, at 18-19 yo, and if the promoter wants to invest he can make him a star, the fundamentals without the amateur burn out, made them prime for learning. We have quite a few kids that defected young, especially the ones in Dubai. Iglesias, Rodriguez, Tellez and a bunch others are going to have good careers.
            Last edited by garfios; 05-08-2024, 01:10 PM.
            Haka Haka likes this.

Comment

Rigondeaux was almost 29 when he started his pro career, and almost 33 when he had his biggest fight against a prime Donaire. (I won’t count Lomachenko, as Rigo was already 37 and heavily outsized.) I was at the Donaire fight; Rigo was masterful — probably as close to prime as he ever was as a professional. But everyone knows his chin was always questionable. On the other hand, he could also throw bombs. This would’ve been a great fight. Not sure who would’ve come out on top.
              _Rexy_ _Rexy_ likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by garfios View Post

Yes it is, even if you win, you lose. Now, you get a kid like Morrell Jr, juvenile world champ, national champ in a country that breath boxing, at 18-19 yo, and if the promoter wants to invest he can make him a star, the fundamentals without the amateur burn out, made them prime for learning. We have quite a few kids that defected young, especially the ones in Dubai. Iglesias, Rodriguez, Tellez and a bunch others are going to have good careers.
                A long amateur career is never good for a pro campaign. They’re almost two different sports. If success in amateur boxing meant pro greatness, there would be a lot more Mexican and Puerto Rican Olympic medalists. Cubans dominate practically everyone in the amateur game; Mexicans and PRs aren’t even in the same universe, because their fighters go professional much sooner. With younger Cubans cutting their teeth in the pros earlier, we’ll see a much more professional style with them.

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post

A long amateur career is never good for a pro campaign. They’re almost two different sports. If success in amateur boxing meant pro greatness, there would be a lot more Mexican and Puerto Rican Olympic medalists. Cubans dominate practically everyone in the amateur game; Mexicans and PRs aren’t even in the same universe, because their fighters go professional much sooner. With younger Cubans cutting their teeth in the pros earlier, we’ll see a much more professional style with them.
                  I tell this to people all of the damn time. I compare it to fencing and sword fighting lol.

One of my favorite things is to see how decorated amateurs look in their FIRST pro fight. First time without the headgear, with small gloves, with opponents planting their feet. Completely different.

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post

We're seeing already. All the kids I mentioned have less than 10 and they've already beaten boxers with three times more their experience.
                    CubanGuyNYC CubanGuyNYC likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by _Rexy_ View Post

I tell this to people all of the damn time. I compare it to fencing and sword fighting lol.

One of my favorite things is to see how decorated amateurs look in their FIRST pro fight. First time without the headgear, with small gloves, with opponents planting their feet. Completely different.
                      The best amateurs tend to transition well. If they were standouts as amateurs, they’re gifted and dedicated fighters. Making it to the top is, of course, a horse of a different color. The top fighters are all gifted and dedicated — I don’t care what anyone says. Getting through all that competition is quite a task. People talk so much garbage around here about these athletes; they have no idea what it takes to rise. My hat’s off to all of them, especially the elite. Many, perhaps most, professional boxers undergo “on the job training.” They might have a few amateur bouts, then it’s off to the races: sink or swim. An example is Manny Pacquiao, who got KOed in his 12th pro fight versus an 11-4-5 fighter. He’s a legend. Then you’ll get a guy like Rigondeaux, who had all the talent in the world, but was completely consumed by the amateur mindset. Still didn’t do too badly, all things considered.
                      Last edited by CubanGuyNYC; 05-08-2024, 03:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X