Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which rules in Boxing are in need of change/update?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Standardizing ring size to 18’ x 18’.

Comment

agree the clinching needs to be fixed.

possibly allow video replay for judges/ref but it would take some thought on how to implement it, because if they break up the action for a replay it will benefit the fighter with less stamina or benefit a fighter who was wobbled.

something with the weight rehydrations, maybe a 15 pound cap on them, this 20 pound re-hydration **** is stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by joesaiditstrue View Post
        Modern boxing's been around for over 100 years, and goes back even further to the 16th century. A lot of the rules in use today have been the standard for almost as long. Which rules do you think are in need of change though?

I can think of a few:

Change the maximum number of rounds from 10 to 11 (Non title fights) , and 12 to 13 (title fights). This slightly removes the chance of a draw as professional boxing judges aren't supposed to score rounds a draw. This will guarantee one fighter winning a majority of rounds in close fights.

Making the fight official after four rounds, I would change this to 5 rounds. For the same reason as above.

Some other things I've thought about is change the number of judges from 3 to 5. Adding more judges increases the sample size of scores and gives you a clearer picture of what actually happened.

None of these things remove the real problems in boxing, but it would modernize the sport a bit
        draws aren't really that big of a deal. how many big fights end in a draw?? when they do, it's usually because of knockdowns or point deductions.

making fights "official" after any amount of rounds means nothing. the guy that's losing, if he's cut, will quit to get the technical draw or decision in his favor. a bad cut is what it is. if it's bad enough to end the fight, so be it.

adding more judges just means more little brown bags. the remedy for this is for promoters to not be paying the judges. but if the promoter isn't paying, then who is? tax money?
        $port$

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
          Standardizing ring size to 18’ x 18’.
          agreed. there should be a standard ring size that's non-negotiable

Comment

Same-day weigh-ins should come back.

Comment

Same day weigh ins and fewer classifications.

The 'weight game' has become almost as important as any other skill in boxing.

Just have guys fighting at a similar size and at their prime weight.

Comment

Originally posted by Toffee View Post
                Same day weigh ins and fewer classifications.

The 'weight game' has become almost as important as any other skill in boxing.

Just have guys fighting at a similar size and at their prime weight.
                I don't like same day weigh ins. I think the science says it'll result in more severe injuries & deaths & we definitely had more severe injuries & deaths when that was the standard. Idr all the specifics of the science but its something like cutting weight dries out/reduces the liquid around ones brain which puts the brain at greater risk of injury. I think its a net negative to go back to same day weigh ins.

I am for some weight rule changes tho. I wouldn't be opposed to a gravity hydration test like they do in ONE FC, after one of their fighters died, & like they do in HS + college wrestling to insure you've safely made weight. I also think there should be a determined safe weight range given to any pro boxer in general. That'd save us from seeing these bad representatives of pro boxing enter the ring looking like an out of shape dad in his backyard with his shirt off about to cut grass.
                joesaiditstrue joesaiditstrue likes this.

Comment

What good are rules if they are not enforced

Comment

Change the 10-9 must. If draw, score it a draw. If dominant give the 10-8 even without a knockdown. Odd total number of rounds. Take away bull**** language - Runner wins because of “ring generalship”. Just give the round to who hurt the other guy more.

Comment

Originally posted by joesaiditstrue View Post
                      Modern boxing's been around for over 100 years, and goes back even further to the 16th century. A lot of the rules in use today have been the standard for almost as long. Which rules do you think are in need of change though?

I can think of a few:

Change the maximum number of rounds from 10 to 11 (Non title fights) , and 12 to 13 (title fights). This slightly removes the chance of a draw as professional boxing judges aren't supposed to score rounds a draw. This will guarantee one fighter winning a majority of rounds in close fights.

Making the fight official after four rounds, I would change this to 5 rounds. For the same reason as above.

Some other things I've thought about is change the number of judges from 3 to 5. Adding more judges increases the sample size of scores and gives you a clearer picture of what actually happened.

None of these things remove the real problems in boxing, but it would modernize the sport a bit
                      15 round for title unification fights! A special occasion.

I am for 5 judges in fights that are important. With the punch stats shown to the judges before in-between round to help out with crooked scoring.

Comment

Working...
                      X