Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Errol Spence Sues Derrick James, Too: Argues Pay Was Consistent

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Smash View Post
    i dont understand pros relying on oral contracts

i mean, he said this, he said that, this was not specified, i never said this, i cant remember this

no thats not what i meant lol

this oral stuff was 14 years ago as well, oh dear what a mess

will benefit the guy who the judges side with i guess
    Sounds like it was an "oral" relationship for the most part...............the courts will decide the morals of the "orals" if anybody really cares besides what these two Men made with each other orally speaking that is of course................Maybe they should seek out an Orickle to settle things up.......
    Smash Smash likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by boxing IQ View Post
      Errol also owes Bud a million for losing their bet.
      "Let's bet a MILLION!"
      boxing IQ boxing IQ likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by NC Uppercut View Post

Panda,
        sounds to me like James has a hard text copy with EJ admitting he did owe James more
        That sounds bad, but its lacking context to me. The whole thing with Errol admitting to "robbing" him part sounds like there was likely a lot of drama, big talk & passive aggressive bs in all these texts so idk if I take that at face value. Especially with some of the other stank I seen in this lawsuit with him using Errol's nickname as a joke. Its a lil sassy for me & I don't suspect James hired the next Johnnie Cochrane to represent him.

I'm still looking for the actual docs to read tho before I give a more complete take of what I think. Hard to grasp the entirety of the situation without seeing the docs & just going off the crumbs in these articles.

Comment

This getting ugly.

I couldn't care less though.

Errol Spence needs to go join Calvin Ford's camp. They're doing good things with Gervonta's conditioning and game planning.

Spence can use that more than Derrick's linear approach with no good adjustments

Comment

Spence is taking advantage and changed his mind after his biggest payday which is crazy just pay him he's always came off as cheap and didn't want to pay the sanctioned fees and makes a big deal if he donates

Comment

Spence is trying to be slick. Trainers typically get 10% of the "fighters purse". The purse is the total amount the fighter made via the bout contract, so that would include any PPV upside, unless specifically excluded. Spence is trying to hold James to the "guaranteed" purse amount, not the amount he was actually paid.

Comment

This will probably end in a settlement. There are things Spence and his team have said that already don’t add up, and won’t add up in court. There’s also texts showing Spence’s acknowledgement of the deal. They’ll settle, idk for how much, but if it goes all the way through James will likely win.

Going forward James will have to do work on a contract for his fighters. And any trainer who serves Spence for the remainder of his career should work on a contract as well.
                Eff Pandas Eff Pandas likes this.

Comment

Money ...the route of all evil! ....James hasn't a leg to stand on here, verbal contracts very rarely work , and never in court!

Comment

After reading both sides of this it sounds like it comes down to the debate of if ones guaranteed purse or ones purse + back end money constitutes the money a trainer is eligible to receive a cut of. I'd argue everything gets decided on that.

Very few fighters get to the point of getting back end money at all & it can take months or even years for that money to come to you as I understand it. So for that reason I'd argue the guaranteed money should be all a trainer is eligible to receive 10% of in this situation.

The fact Errol had been paying him 10% of that guaranteed money for years of PPVs & Derrick never asked about the PPV money til things went sideways & his job was likely on the line & there had been rumors Errol was gonna be leaving him says a lot to me too. Its not every day you got a fighter who makes 8 digits in a night. Everyone knows ppv takes weeks to calculate & mos to come in so the fact Derrick was cool getting one check within days of fights suggests he knew what he was being paid from.

The alleged texts that got brought up, but I didn't see in the document to confirm or get better context of, but Errol's side didn't deny could be good for Derrick, but since there is no actual agreement on paper & these discussions could have been volatile with ups & downs with all kinds of emotions idk that I'd necessarily see them as some written contract themselves.

All that said I'd bet this gets settled by Errol giving Derrick like a mill or mill & a half & this doesn't go to a trial. Errol likely wants to get this over with cuz its a bad look for him cuz beyond the legal situation the avg fan is looking at this more like a moral situation. And I'd argue Errol is definitely the one on the wrong side of the morality of this. Derrick likely wants this over cuz hes just made some nice bank with Ryan & probably will see more upside with Ryan in the coming mos & in ending this as long as he gets a check with a nice enough number on it.

Comment

Originally posted by NC Uppercut View Post

Panda,
                      sounds to me like James has a hard text copy with EJ admitting he did owe James more
                      To me that text shows that Errol knows he’s in the wrong.

“Al” needs to mind his own business and stop trying to shortchange a guy who has been a good trainer.

Comment

Working...
                      X