Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is not being able to understand punching range, the biggest mistake made by boxing fans?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RJJ-94-02=GOAT View Post

I don’t think Bivol does anything special. Very good fighter who makes very few mistakes but he doesn’t do anything extraordinary.

Not saying that’s necessarily a bad thing either, he’s very textbook, if a kid walked into a gym and asked me who should I watch to learn how to box, I’d say Bivol and Inoue.

You on a flight or something? Are you gonna avoid the result?
    It's square in the middle of our PCS move. Gonna be on the road for like 17 days driving back from Alaska because the military will only move one car, so we have to drive the other back if we want to keep it. But hey, at least they do cover one. I'm looking at it like a chance for a road trip that someone else pays for.

Back on the topic of Bivol though, timing and being able to consistently win rounds on the back foot and ring awareness are elite skills. How many other fighters do you see who can do those things at all, let alone as well and consistently as Bivol?

Comment

Originally posted by crimsonfalcon07 View Post

It's square in the middle of our PCS move. Gonna be on the road for like 17 days driving back from Alaska because the military will only move one car, so we have to drive the other back if we want to keep it. But hey, at least they do cover one. I'm looking at it like a chance for a road trip that someone else pays for.

Back on the topic of Bivol though, timing and being able to consistently win rounds on the back foot and ring awareness are elite skills. How many other fighters do you see who can do those things at all, let alone as well and consistently as Bivol?
      I don’t think Bivol has looked that impressive other than against Canelo tbh. The Craig Richards fight would be the obvious one, I think he’s guilty of coasting through fights. Beterbiev will not allow him to coast for one second.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Coleman View Post

Somebody is a subscriber to Boxing Gems.
        More people should be. Phenomenal channel, with barely any following. Usually I can pick out one or two things to exploit if it's obvious like the Bow and Arrow, but their video on Spence was fantastic, I saw one of his major flaws, they pointed out like 4. I wish that sort of media was available when I boxed 15 years ago
        Gary Coleman Gary Coleman likes this.

Comment

I don’t think Bivol does anything special. Very good fighter who makes very few mistakes but he doesn’t do anything extraordinary.

Not saying that’s necessarily a bad thing either, he’s very textbook, if a kid walked into a gym and asked me who should I watch to learn how to box, I’d say Bivol and Inoue.

You on a flight or something? Are you gonna avoid the result?
          I'd argue that he doesn't do anything special, but what he does do he's extraordinary. Bivol is "basic" in the sense that he's basically pure fundimentals but he's excellent at them.

Comment

I don’t think Bivol has looked that impressive other than against Canelo tbh. The Craig Richards fight would be the obvious one, I think he’s guilty of coasting through fights. Beterbiev will not allow him to coast for one second.
            What he did to Zurdo was impressive too. He's got excellent sense for when to push the bigger guy back. I don't think either one will let the other rest.
            dannnnn dannnnn likes this.

Comment

What he did to Zurdo was impressive too. He's got excellent sense for when to push the bigger guy back. I don't think either one will let the other rest.
              That was a good win, no doubt, can’t say I’ve ever been a big Zurdo fan but Bivol was levels above.

Comment

Originally posted by _Rexy_ View Post

I'd argue that he doesn't do anything special, but what he does do he's extraordinary. Bivol is "basic" in the sense that he's basically pure fundimentals but he's excellent at them.
                I think he’s excellent at what he does, I just suspect he won’t be that difficult to figure out. If he turns back Beterbiev I’ll happily admit I’m wrong.

Comment

That was a good win, no doubt, can’t say I’ve ever been a big Zurdo fan but Bivol was levels above.
                  Both he and Beterbiev present problems that nobody has been able to solve. Beterbiev has some habits that will get him into trouble, such as his tendency to lunge in with the jab. Bivol will absolutely counter him, and it's going to be a lot more devastating when he does because the momentum will work against him. But Bivol doesn't have a lot of power, and of course the big question is whether he can weather the storm and keep Beterbiev off him. If anyone can at 175 and below, it's Bivol IMO. But if he can beat Bivol, it sounds like Turki wants to make Beterbiev v Benavidez. Would be interesting to see who ends up on the back foot in that fight.

Comment

Both he and Beterbiev present problems that nobody has been able to solve. Beterbiev has some habits that will get him into trouble, such as his tendency to lunge in with the jab. Bivol will absolutely counter him, and it's going to be a lot more devastating when he does because the momentum will work against him. But Bivol doesn't have a lot of power, and of course the big question is whether he can weather the storm and keep Beterbiev off him. If anyone can at 175 and below, it's Bivol IMO. But if he can beat Bivol, it sounds like Turki wants to make Beterbiev v Benavidez. Would be interesting to see who ends up on the back foot in that fight.
                    I’m just not sure Bivol hits hard enough though. If you can’t get rid of Lyndon Arthur, I don’t think you can put a dent in Beterbiev. I expect Bivol to outbox Artur early on but at some point I just think Beterbiev catches up to him. I could be wrong though, as much as I’m being somewhat over-fastidious when analysing Bivol, I do rate him very highly, I can’t wait to find out who the better man is June 1st.

Benavidez has the faster hands, but his feet are quite slow, once Beterbiev starts to time him, he takes over I think. I also think Bivol would comprehensively outbox Benavidez. I think that could look a little bit like the Zurdo fight. Would still like to see him fight both though.
                    crimsonfalcon07 crimsonfalcon07 likes this.

Comment

I’m just not sure Bivol hits hard enough though. If you can’t get rid of Lyndon Arthur, I don’t think you can put a dent in Beterbiev. I expect Bivol to outbox Artur early on but at some point I just think Beterbiev catches up to him. I could be wrong though, as much as I’m being somewhat over-fastidious when analysing Bivol, I do rate him very highly, I can’t wait to find out who the better man is June 1st.

Benavidez has the faster hands, but his feet are quite slow, once Beterbiev starts to time him, he takes over I think. I also think Bivol would comprehensively outbox Benavidez. I think that could look a little bit like the Zurdo fight. Would still like to see him fight both though.
                      If Bivol were to stop Beterbiev, I think the world would collectively be shocked. That's one thing that really would make me think Beterbiev got old overnight. But he doesn't need to put a dent in Artur, he just needs to have enough pop to keep him honest (and frustrated). Dunno if he (or anyone 175 and below) does. Still remember that Browne fight when Artur got badly cut and then just wrecked him. Seems like if you hurt him, it just makes him mad and it goes even worse for you.

Comment

Working...
                      X