Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Jim Lampley: I Wonder If Devin Haney-Ryan Garcia Would Happen Without Social Media

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Jim Lampley: I Wonder If Devin Haney-Ryan Garcia Would Happen Without Social Media

Jim Lampley, it is safe to say, is not a fan of social media. "I'm a member of a tiny and increasingly pitiful minority who believe that almost anyone who pays significant attention to social media should be worried about their state of mind," the veteran broadcaster told BoxingScene in a recent interview.
    [Click Here To Read More]
    Last edited by BoxingUpdates; 04-18-2024, 02:05 PM.

Jim Lampley is sooo right
    Devin Haney vs Ryan Garcia could not have happened without Social media hype
    This fight promotion would have been a lotta hard work & probably would tanked
    nghtmr111 nghtmr111 likes this.

Comment

Would've much rather seen Haney vs. Teofimo, but KingRy brings more eyeballs, or used to anyway!

Comment

He provides text commentary? So he's basically live tweeting alongside the PPV but only for their specific feed?

I wonder how much he gets paid for that.

Comment

Whats with people calling that idiot KingRy? He dont deserve to be a king of anything - o.k. King of the idiots- after he gets beat down, i hope he'll be King of retirement

Comment

Good article. I don't think his general point about social media is correct though. It's tempting to think "everyone" is on it, but I think it's mostly a noisy minority which gets reported on by legacy media blowing it out of proportion in a feedback loop.

As for Garcia specifically, it seems to be a double edge sword. On the one hand it's given the impression that he's global star, but it doesn't look like it's going to translate into ticket sales/PPV buys without Tank in the other corner.

That's putting aside what it appears to have done to Garcia's wellbeing.

Comment

Lampley isn’t wrong. Garcia gets shots based on being a social media sensation. He was wiped out mid rounds by davis and will get soundly beaten by Haney. His social media fans will not translate to being fans of boxing or other fighters just as the teenage girls who used to follow DLH didn’t become real boxing fans. The Califas Mexicans will always want and need a sterling boxer to get behind and DLH was that to a T but Ryan simply isn’t DLH. Not even Canelo is DLH. But hey, Ryan’s making his money off all this so what does that really say about social media and segments of our society? It’s not his fault, he’s found his niche and he’s playing the cards dealt him

Comment

Jim is just another old fart complaining about the changing of times
                Eff Pandas Eff Pandas likes this.

Comment

People acting like Ryan can't fight because he's looks like a pretty gay boy , which he is but he can fight , he went after a ko puncher in Davis , and for me Davis is number 1 in around those division s, people think he has no chance , I do think Haney should be favourite but not as big as the one he is , Garcia will check his chin and find it he found tanks but , I think it's a good fight and evenly matched I m only betting on Ryan because he is a huge price at 6 to 1 in a 50 50 fight , Devin is no Floyd Mayweather, he is beatable , I'm looking forward To this one

Comment

Ryan is more popular than he is good or accomplished and of course social media is a major reason why. He’s a 0 time world champ who talked his way into fights he doesn’t deserve and due to a social media following and a specific fan base who share his same ethnicity and are dumb enough to place tribalism ahead of actual logic and reality; he’s landed these opportunities.

Comment

Working...
                    X