Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Ryan Garcia Thinks People Overrate Devin Haney's Boxing Ability

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Haney is one of the best, well, arguably top ten or twelve pound for pound perhaps.

There are those who have a fair point in saying he didn't really beat Loma. Not making excuses for him, but I'd guess he was squeezing down to make that weight.

He's a big guy, really big for light welterweight too. I think he beats Ryan, but it could be more competitive that many predict.

An upset is possible, if more unlikely than likely.

Comment

Originally posted by PRINCEKOOL View Post
      One of the reason's why Haney has been very effective with his style, thus-far in his career against the opponents he has fought. 'Is because there are not many fighters, in the boxing divisions he is fighting at? Who have ether dealt with the African American slick style'.

Devin Haney's African American fighting style ability, is overrated 'When you compare him to fighters from past era's, who also fought with a African American slick style'.

But the level of Haney's slickness, has still been far too much 'For these Conventional fighters, or the text book fundamental Eastern European boxers'.

Note: If you was to compare Devin Haney skill for skill with Floyd Mayweather Junior, Pernell Whitaker, Bernard Hopkins, James Toney 'I don't think Haney, has the same level of slickness game as those fighters in multiple area's of his game'.

Zab Judah at his peak skill for skill, was superior to Devin Haney in certain area's of his game 'Judah would be a extremely tough fight for most of the 140 to 147 pound fighters active today'.

Garcia's style of fighting, is heavily reliant in him using his combination punch ability and power. Garcia has not really shown a high level of slickness, or text book fundamental game.

So this leaves Garcia in a bit of a middle ground vs a fighter like Devin Haney 'Ether Garcia applies serious pressure to Haney, looks to inflict his power and combination punching. If Garcia can make Haney fight in area's where the competition will be close the two fighters, then this will increase the chances of Garcia winning rounds and landing his power'.

But If Garcia struggles to gain any real traction with his offense, then most likely? He will be out competed from mid to long range by Haney 'Drop rounds consistently and be out scored'.

Devin Haney commented in the build up to this fight, that 'Garcia's boxing skills have not really improved much from the Amateur ranks'.

For me personally? I think boxers should make a decision early on in their careers 'Maybe when they realize, they are not quite the same level of fighter as a Prince Naseem Hamed, Roy Jones Junior, James Toney a Bernard Hopkins in terms of slickness and overall athleticism.

Fighters in that moment, have got to make a decision 'To hammer and master the basics of boxing to a extreme level'. A recent fighter who approached the sport of boxing in this manner, was Anthony Joshua'.

Joshua started boxing late, and most likely made the decision to just 'Hammer and master the basics of boxing. Build and mold himself into text book, fundamentally sound Heavyweight boxer, combined with his solid level of Athleticism and brute strength' Joshua has achieved a lot in the sport, with that methodology.

When I look at a fighters like Garcia, it does not really look like 'He has made that decision early on in his career. Garcia knows he is a good athlete, who has serious power. Therefore he has decided to just embrace those aspects of his game predominately'.

When we start talking about elite level Athleticism 'Athleticism at this level actually becomes a skill, it is not just a physical attribute' Athleticism is a skill, and one of the most important fundamental skills in all of sports'.

When a fighter has speed, power and strength 'That does not automatically mean you have elite level athleticism. Athleticism becomes elite, when other related Athletic attributes such as Co-ordination, Dexterity, Agility, Spatial Awareness, all combine and function simultaneously'.

The reason why I make this point, is because? When a fighter is not typically a slickness fighter 'They can still negate a slickness game fighter. With text book fundamentals, combined with Co-ordination, dexterity, agility, Spatial Awareness'.

I just believe in his match up, Haney may be potentially out competing Garcia 'On three levels. Athleticism, Text Book skills, Fundamentals, and Slickness game'.

Garcia may be superior to Haney with his power, brute strength and raw agility 'So therefore? If Garcia believes that Haney's boxing skills are overrated. Garcia must detect the area's where he is superior to Haney, and develop a tactical game plan for the fight'.

I believe a solid game plan for Garcia, would be to fight in violent ambush styled attacks. This style of fighting would be embracing his power, raw agility and combination punching. Garcia should fight this fight at long range, in a instant initiate a ambushed style attack then move back out to long rang and beyond.

If Garcia attempts to compete with Haney punch for punch, skill for skill 'And only work with single punches, or 1-2's. Then I don't think this is the best game plan for him' etc.

I used to love watching James Toney fight off of the ropes. His inside game was just brilliant , especially as a Heavyweight. He was beautiful to watch , making them miss and making them pay over and over. James could lay on the ropes , having a sandwich and a coke with one hand and countering with the other. Sweet Science indeed.
      2fast2strong 2fast2strong likes this.

Comment

Haney absolutely nailed it when he said that Ryan hasn't improved at all. He's the same he's always been, except maybe with more mental issues. Haney's been working hard and getting better. Ryan's got that puncher's chance, but he's going to have a FAFO moment with this fight. Hopefully Haney will beat the arrogance out of him and he'll actually start to work hard. I guess he's been telling himself that Tank got lucky, but if Haney dominates him with those pillow fists from opening bell to whenever he quits, maybe that will be the wakeup call he needs.

Comment

Originally posted by pnut901 View Post

I used to love watching James Toney fight off of the ropes. His inside game was just brilliant , especially as a Heavyweight. He was beautiful to watch , making them miss and making them pay over and over. James could lay on the ropes , having a sandwich and a coke with one hand and countering with the other. Sweet Science indeed.
          As a Toney fan , I can agree he was in his office against the ropes but then again how many fights did he lose cause of it ?
          James’s laziness was always first and foremost
          Almost as much as he enjoyed eating

Comment

Originally posted by crimsonfalcon07 View Post
            Haney absolutely nailed it when he said that Ryan hasn't improved at all. He's the same he's always been, except maybe with more mental issues. Haney's been working hard and getting better. Ryan's got that puncher's chance, but he's going to have a FAFO moment with this fight. Hopefully Haney will beat the arrogance out of him and he'll actually start to work hard. I guess he's been telling himself that Tank got lucky, but if Haney dominates him with those pillow fists from opening bell to whenever he quits, maybe that will be the wakeup call he needs.
            What does FAFO stand for ?

Comment

Originally posted by pnut901 View Post

What does FAFO stand for ?
              Eff around and find out

Comment

Originally posted by MulaKO View Post

Eff around and find out
                Thanks man !
                MulaKO MulaKO likes this.

Comment

Just shut the **** up and let your fight do the talking kid.

Comment

Haney is pretty overated. He got a gift decision against loma who Teo beat much more clearly and prograis ain’t that good. Ryan will do better than the tank fight but neither of these guys is even the best in the division

Comment

Originally posted by crimsonfalcon07 View Post
                      haney is fooling you Wym he’s gotten better? He lost to loma then fought kambumsauce and prograis lol. How does that show any sort of marked improvement? He’s just fought a step down from Lomachenko so he looks better but he’s not any different than he’s ever been. Ryan will do better than he did vs tank. Might not win but Haney not gonna destroy him I gaurantee that haney just isn’t good enough too do that

Comment

Working...
                      X