Collapse
No announcement yet.

Morrell To Fight Radivoje Kalajdzic At 175 In June

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not a bad opponent, if he is having trouble getting fights at 168 he has to stay active so maybe he can get more notable opponents at 175, he has the size for the weightclass.
    garfios garfios likes this.

Comment

Hot Rod is a respectable opponent for Morrell's foray into LHW. I expect David to win but his opponent won't lay down.

Comment

Originally posted by garfios View Post
        The other part of the equation is having money backing you up, so you can have the chance to unify, if you just have a belt, you're right they cpuld go around and trying other belts. What a predicament don't you think?
        The promotional backing (aka budget) might be the most important component, but it also takes a healthy and hungry boxer to execute. GGG was making 300k purses while staying active, and he wasn't suffering any severe injuries. Morrell needs to try and emulate this formula: smaller purses, higher activity...and he's actually young enough to pull this off. The fighter/manager/promoter/network would all have to agree that this is the way forward. IDK what Morrell is currently making though.
        Last edited by kiaba360; 04-12-2024, 10:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kiaba360 View Post

The promotional backing (aka budget) might be the most important component, but it also takes a healthy and hungry boxer to execute. GGG was making 300k purses while staying active, and he wasn't suffering any severe injuries. Morrell needs to try and emulate this formula: smaller purses, higher activity...and he's actually young enough to pull this off. The fighter/manager/promoter/network would all have to agree that this is the way forward. IDK what Morrell is currently making though.
          I agree with that but Not gonna happen this era of young guys are all entitled and Morell is one of them.

of the young bucks so far only Benavidez has worked his way up and earned it.

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
            That’s all I have for now. Not liking the way David’s career is going — too inactive; and now, moving up to find a fight — but at least Kalajdzic is a good quality opponent. No set date yet, but looks like June.
            David needs to break away from PBC. He needs way more activity than 1-2 fights a year he’s getting currently.

Comment

I watched a documentary made by Rich The Fight Historian on YT about Benitez a while ago, truly a remarkable career and a cautionary tale. You can tell some modern-day boxers look at fighters of yesteryear and feel the pressure of living up to lofty expectations...but also want to avoid major catastrophe in the process. That's what I had in mind when I said "warriors turn businessmen". Joshua doesn't want to end up bankrupt and damaged beyond repair like many of the HW legends before him. Even guys that have yet to truly accomplish much in their careers, like Jared Anderson and Ryan Garcia, don't envision a long pro career and already planning an exit strategy. GGG quietly dropped his titles and found a way to stay around sport without having to lace up for a living ever again; that's probably the fantasy for many boxers. I can't begrudge them for not wanting to have a lengthy career where they risk absorbing too much punishment. The "Boxers are not altruistic" message is almost like a loss of innocence; it's the moment where we start perceiving these fighters as human beings rather than idols. Boxers can be arrogant, greedy, delusional, cowardly, undisciplined, and every other negative adjective lol. It doesn't mean we don't respect the sacrifice they're making, but it's just the reality of the situation.

Boxing is such an interesting industry to observe because the "Business" and the "Sport" are often not harmonious. I think a lot of the issues stem from that imbalanced and chaotic relationship. If I hadn't been introduced to boxing as a kid, I'm not sure if I'd ever become anything more than a casual fan.
              It’s not the same sport anymore. The topic is brought up from time to time, whether boxing is dying. I think it probably has to, given the direction it’s heading. The Olympic committee is seriously considering dropping boxing from its next games. I can’t believe I even wrote that; yet it’s true. That speaks volumes about the state of boxing. It’s far worse than even I imagined.

Comment

Originally posted by RJJ-94-02=GOAT View Post

David needs to break away from PBC. He needs way more activity than 1-2 fights a year he’s getting currently.
                I think most of us agree.
                garfios garfios likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph View Post
                  I hate to champion Fast Eddie, but I guarantgoddamntee you he would have the kid fighting at least three times a year.
                  100%.

I sh^t on Eddie, & anyone else who deserves it, from time to time but one of the things be does right is keep guys active & make his best efforts towards helping a guy find his ceiling, for better or worse with that sometimes.

Comment

Boxing is such an interesting industry to observe because the "Business" and the "Sport" are often not harmonious. I think a lot of the issues stem from that imbalanced and chaotic relationship. If I hadn't been introduced to boxing as a kid, I'm not sure if I'd ever become anything more than a casual fan.
                    True & I suspect the latter part of this would be true for a lot of us.

I'm not sure the exact time boxing crossed the threshold of being more business than sport, but I believe its happened during my time being a fan. And if I didn't have this loyalty to the sport already I doubt I'd be anything other than those casual fan types who only come around for the big fights a couple times a yr max myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post

True & I suspect the latter part of this would be true for a lot of us.

I'm not sure the exact time boxing crossed the threshold of being more business than sport, but I believe its happened during my time being a fan. And if I didn't have this loyalty to the sport already I doubt I'd be anything other than those casual fan types who only come around for the big fights a couple times a yr max myself.
                      This is a good example of what I referred to in a previous post. Fans of the sport are barely hanging on. There is no more boxing on Showtime, HBO or ESPN. The reason for that is simple: not enough money in it. And why is that? Again, simple: not enough eyeballs. And as I said previously, the IOC is looking to do away with boxing at the games. All symptomatic. A viscous cycle has been created, and I don’t think the sport can survive it.

Comment

Working...
                      X