Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: What Does a Boxing Equivalent to UFC 300 Look Like? Ask Bob Arum

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post

Lol agree. Overrated af.

The UFC has been moving more & more away from name guys & are just a well oiled machine of this guy vs that guy in the almost no fan able to attend Apex venue for most of their shows to reduce expenses. They have fewer draws than ever & the value is all in "The UFC" over fighters these days. It was always hard to become a GSP or Conor, but its even harder now.
    UFC degraded the MMA but it is now officially a pro wrestling organisation. I lost interest years ago because of the fading quality of fighters especially those considered top-ones.

Comment

Originally posted by OnePunch View Post

No. Because the tank fight would consume 80% or more of the revenue, not leaving enough to make the Benevidez fight.
      Tank and Benavidez on the same card is already in the works!

Benavidez Relegated To Undercard Status, Opportunities Stalled
      By Jeepers Isaac - 04/05/2024​

Jose Benavidez Sr. tried to put a positive spin on his son David’s undercard status on the Gervonta Davis vs. Frank Martin card on June 22nd, calling it “an honor...”

Benavidez’s placement on the Tank vs. Martin undercard on Amazon Prime PPV is worrisome, as it indicates that he’s not a big enough draw to headline a card on his own.​

https://www.boxing247.com/boxing-new...stalled/276593

Comment

Originally posted by fifth_root View Post

UFC degraded the MMA but it is now officially a pro wrestling organisation.
        It always has been to some extent. No more so now than in the past tbh.
        fifth_root fifth_root likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Bronx2245 View Post
          Tank and Benavidez on the same card is already in the works!

Benavidez Relegated To Undercard Status, Opportunities Stalled
          By Jeepers Isaac - 04/05/2024​

Jose Benavidez Sr. tried to put a positive spin on his son David’s undercard status on the Gervonta Davis vs. Frank Martin card on June 22nd, calling it “an honor...”

Benavidez’s placement on the Tank vs. Martin undercard on Amazon Prime PPV is worrisome, as it indicates that he’s not a big enough draw to headline a card on his own.​

https://www.boxing247.com/boxing-new...stalled/276593
          interesting. Props to Benevidez I guess because he obviously took a pay cut to be on the card.......

Comment

Originally posted by OnePunch View Post

interesting. Props to Benevidez I guess because he obviously took a pay cut to be on the card.......
            I don't understand why, but Benavidez can't sell tickets! Sad state of the world, when Ryan Garcia can sell more than David Benavidez and Boots Ennis combined!!!

OnePunch OnePunch likes this.

Comment

Call me old school, but I'm with Uncle Bob when it comes to MMGuy.
              "Guys rolling around like ****suxuals".

A true "Boxing Equivalent to UFC 300" would require the fighters to wear tight Speedos and wear gloves shaped like **** heads, while club music played loudly in the arena.
              However, as Bernard Hopkins once famously pointed out; "people in the hood don't play that".

(I'm just kidding, relax)

Comment

Originally posted by TMLT87 View Post

I get what you're saying, I like One FC a lot but to me its just a weird comparison given that One is a smorgasbord of different rulesets, the majority not MMA anymore. Big boxing cards are showcasing high level boxing, UFC cards are showcasing high level MMA, One FC cards for the most part are basically showcasing high level Muay Thai with a few other things mixed in, which is cool and all but obviously in terms of scale and star power its not the same.
                I don't know why you're bringing MMA into it. There's no MMA on a boxing card either. That's like saying we can't mention whether a Glory card is good because it doesn't contain MMA. ONE has a mix of combat sports fights. Not sure why that's an issue for you.

As for star power, you need to get out of your Western "not made here" mentality. ONE actually had more views than UFC in 2021, and that's just on Western media. ONE stars are huge in Asia, which is more than half of the world's population, while the UFC isn't nearly as big a deal there. ONE's big stars have huge followings on the social media platforms popular in Japan, China, etc.

And that's leaving aside the fact that UFC is hemorrhaging fans these days. Look at how much people care about 300... Most of them seem to think it's a letdown. As for Conor McGregor, I'm not sure why you think he's coming back soon. He's been "coming back soon" for two years, while he blathers on social media. And he's 1-3 since the end of 2016. Not sure what you think he's going to do for them, especially if he does return and then gets splattered because he's been out of the game for 2 years, and has been fighting what looks like his DoorDash drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by crimsonfalcon07 View Post
                  I don't know why you're bringing MMA into it. There's no MMA on a boxing card either. That's like saying we can't mention whether a Glory card is good because it doesn't contain MMA.
                  Because, like I said, for the most part what you're seeing performed at a high level on One cards is Muay Thai, a much smaller sport than boxing or MMA. Bringing up Glory is actually making my point, on the weekend of UFC 299 and the AJ/Ngannou Saudi card Glory put on a one night tournament with Rico and a bunch of other top 10 ranked HWs, did it feel anywhere near as big as the boxing and MMA cards though? no, because its kickboxing in 2024. "Stacked" is relative to the sport. I loved kickboxing in the peak K1 days but in the modern day it straight up isnt possible to make a kickboxing card as big as a big UFC or boxing card, the star power isnt there.

Originally posted by crimsonfalcon07 View Post

As for star power, you need to get out of your Western "not made here" mentality. ONE actually had more views than UFC in 2021, and that's just on Western media. ONE stars are huge in Asia, which is more than half of the world's population, while the UFC isn't nearly as big a deal there. ONE's big stars have huge followings on the social media platforms popular in Japan, China, etc.
                  You are falling for Chatris bull****. Its all smoke and mirrors, fake engagement etc. Guaranteed they make less money than Bellator even. Theres a reason they run almost all of their events out of Thailand, show most of their **** for free on Youtube, hide the live viewer count on YT and have switched to doing mostly Muay Thai fights where they can pay the fighters less.
                  Last edited by TMLT87; 04-12-2024, 10:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TMLT87 View Post

Because, like I said, for the most part what you're seeing performed at a high level on One cards is Muay Thai, a much smaller sport than boxing or MMA. Bringing up Glory is actually making my point, on the weekend of UFC 299 and the AJ/Ngannou Saudi card Glory put on a one night tournament with Rico and a bunch of other top 10 ranked HWs, did it feel anywhere near as big as the boxing and MMA cards though? no, because its kickboxing in 2024. "Stacked" is relative to the sport. I loved kickboxing in the peak K1 days but in the modern day it straight up isnt possible to make a kickboxing card as big as a big UFC or boxing card, the star power isnt there.

You are falling for Chatris bull****. Its all smoke and mirrors, fake engagement etc. Guaranteed they make less money than Bellator even. Theres a reason they run almost all of their events out of Thailand, show most of their **** for free on Youtube, hide the live viewer count on YT and have switched to doing mostly Muay Thai fights where they can pay the fighters less.
                    That's from the Nielsen report. Not from Chatri... You sound like you stopped watching years ago. You can think what you want. Not going to change my mind that UFC 300 is a crap card for such a big one, or that ONE is more fun to watch, at least if you value high level martial arts.

Comment

Not sure what the main stream fuss over UFC 300 is ? , multiple better fights have been cancelled already it’s a watered down whatever it is labled With no heavyweight attraction it can’t out do a mega boxing card we’ve already seen the Saudis do twice now with Joshua and the undercard fights over there .

Brock Lesnar vs Frank Mir 3 for instance could have been a UFC legends match would spark much more interest to the casual combat fanbase even maybe hardcore ones I’d definitely purchase it ,not this one it just looks like an event trying to create massive buzz around it ,I do t see it ? Idk . Something of a bigger main event or co main needed to get the attention fur such a landmark number . Brock fought Hunt in UFC 200 , it would kind of made sense trying to get him in fir another fight in the beginning . Lol
                      Last edited by juggernaut666; 04-13-2024, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X