No announcement yet.

ESPN Rankings And Lara

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESPN Rankings And Lara

I usually refer to ESPN for divisional rankings. It was interesting to note just now, that while Lara holds to 160 lb WBA belt, the sports outlet doesn’t have him ranked in the top ten in the division. I imagine that will change when they update their rankings. Although Landy will be 41 next month, he’s still clearly a force in the division. Dude is one of those athletic freaks. It’ll be interesting to see how long Lara remains in the game.
    Smash Smash likes this.

i dont see any reason he would be ranked. unfortunately ring has him ranked high because he beat gary o sullivan? name value and having a belt even if you beat a bum can get you ranked pretty highly. that needs to change. tbrb doesnt have him ranked nor does espn and that makes sense to me. not sure beating zerafa who lost to jeff horn moves him up the rankings any but you never know

Comment

Originally posted by daggum View Post
      i dont see any reason he would be ranked. unfortunately ring has him ranked high because he beat gary o sullivan? name value and having a belt even if you beat a bum can get you ranked pretty highly. that needs to change. tbrb doesnt have him ranked nor does espn and that makes sense to me. not sure beating zerafa who lost to jeff horn moves him up the rankings any but you never know
      One would think that being champion alone would be enough to land you a spot, even if it’s pulling up the rear. I would be willing to bet this last outing does the trick for Lara. Yeah, the opponent wasn’t the greatest, but Landy did take him out in the second round. I’d wager not too many boxers in the division could’ve pulled that one off.

Comment

1. Lara wasn't ranked due to inactivity. His last fight was nearly two years ago.
        2. Don't use ESPN, use TBRB:
        https://tbrb.org/rankings

Comment

Originally posted by famicommander View Post
          1. Lara wasn't ranked due to inactivity. His last fight was nearly two years ago.
          2. Don't use ESPN, use TBRB:
          https://tbrb.org/rankings
          Yes, inactivity is the only good reason.

Comment

Regardless of that, he could possibly be undisputed if the boxing biz would work with him since I don't think either Janibek or Adames would be heavy favorites over him. he's never been decisively beaten or humiliated in there. If he was an A side fighter his record could be 40+ and 0.
            _Jordan_ _Jordan_ likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Spray_resistant View Post
              Regardless of that, he could possibly be undisputed if the boxing biz would work with him since I don't think either Janibek or Adames would be heavy favorites over him. he's never been decisively beaten or humiliated in there. If he was an A side fighter his record could be 40+ and 0.
              Except by Jarrett Hurd, who then again rehydrated up to 190 lbs, guy was a natural super middleweight. Not sure how he cut down to light middleweight.

Apparently most saw Lara beating Paul Williams despite the decision, would had been a big win.
              Last edited by Feroz; 03-31-2024, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Feroz View Post

Except by Jarrett Hurd, who then again rehydrated up to 190 lbs, guy was a natural super middleweight.

Apparently most saw Lara beating Paul Williams despite the decision, would had been a big win.
                He won every rd against PWilly but the boxing biz is against him and now they're stuck with him until they can get the WBA title off him. He doesn't fill stadiums is the only reason.

I'd have to revisit Hurd/Lara and see if it was a clear cut win, I don't recall that fight off memory.
                El Escorpion Feroz likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Feroz View Post

Except by Jarrett Hurd, who then again rehydrated up to 190 lbs, guy was a natural super middleweight. Not sure how he cut down to light middleweight.

I disagree on that, it’s been awhile since I watched it, but I had Lara winning originally and pretty sure it would’ve been a draw if he could’ve avoided the final round KD.

Gonna have to check it out again
                  El Escorpion Feroz CubanGuyNYC CubanGuyNYC like this.

Comment

Originally posted by Spray_resistant View Post

He won every rd against PWilly but the boxing biz is against him and now they're stuck with him until they can get the WBA title off him. He doesn't fill stadiums is the only reason.

I'd have to revisit Hurd/Lara and see if it was a clear cut win, I don't recall that fight off memory.
                    Lara beat Williams in about as clear a fashion as is possible. Myself and quite a number of boxing fans wrote complaint letters to the New Jersey State Athletic Commission in the wake of that hideous robbery. The commissioner took the (to the best of my knowledge) unprecedented step of interviewing the judges involved and asking them to explain their decision. All were fired. Unfortunately, the decision stood.

Comment

Working...
                    X