Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Daily Bread Mailbag: Canelo-Benadviez, Hagler vs. Hopkins, Why De La Hoya Didn't Fight Forrest Or Winky Wright, Ezzard Charles & Ryan Garcia's Mental Health

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by crimsonfalcon07 View Post
    Boxing isn't really a sport. It doesn't have fully standardized rules. Imagine if football had different rules about what kind of gear you could wear, or what ball you could use, what size field, and totally arbitrary blind scoring with no video review and no real appeal process that varied widely from game to game, so you never knew whether it was more important to try to score touchdowns/goals, or defend and control the field, etc. Would you call that a real sport?
    Well I don't know that that makes boxing any less of a sport per se; Football in the NFL does have different rules about the gear and ball etc from Football in the XFL or from Football at your cousins middle school. The difference is Boxing is a lot more decentralized in the US and there are a ton of different organizations and promotions operating in tandem in the same regions. This along with the intrinsic nature of prizefighting certainly does lead to more mercenary athletes.

Comment

Originally posted by YoungKingJulian View Post

Well I don't know that that makes boxing any less of a sport per se; Football in the NFL does have different rules about the gear and ball etc from Football in the XFL or from Football at your cousins middle school. The difference is Boxing is a lot more decentralized in the US and there are a ton of different organizations and promotions operating in tandem in the same regions. This along with the intrinsic nature of prizefighting certainly does lead to more mercenary athletes.
      Professional football does not have different rules from city to city in the NFL. Pro soccer has the same rules all over the world. You're talking about the difference between amateur and pro, and there's standardized gear within those as well.

You need to think about WHY there's no standard ring size, wrap style, glove type, or even how it's scored from match to match, and there's never been any real reform in terms of accountability for judges and refs, no real attempt to make VAR work, etc. Boxing is widely known to be very corrupt. It's got a very different perception than professional sports. Even other sports with ******** still have things like video review, and obviously controversial decisions regularly get overturned. That's very rare in boxing. The people involved in those controversies, such as Dave Moretti, who has been turning in suspect cards for decades, don't get punished.

Comment

Originally posted by Nightfall View Post
        They need to stop this playing both sides shtt. clenelo the coward is never fighting Benavidez period
        Breadman or you? I'm going with Breadman.

Comment

Professional football does not have different rules from city to city in the NFL.
          ​​
          I didn't say it does, I said that the rules of the NFL differ from the XFL. So it goes for the WBO, WBA, WBC, and IBF.

Pro soccer has the same rules all over the world. You're talking about the difference between amateur and pro, and there's standardized gear within those as well.

You need to think about WHY there's no standard ring size, wrap style, glove type, or even how it's scored from match to match, and there's never been any real reform in terms of accountability for judges and refs, no real attempt to make VAR work, etc.

Just because you don't know the intricacies of every organizations rules doesn't mean they don't exist. It's pretty wild of you to talk corruption in boxing and then bring up pro soccer (ah, FIFA, a sanctioning body that's famously free of corruption). Not that boxing isn't corrupt, but if you're going to complain you should be more specific (Dave Moretti is a good example).

Comment

Did John Ruiz actually land many blows on Roy Jones at all, to say he ruined him? I haven’t seen that fight in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by YoungKingJulian View Post
              ​​
              I didn't say it does, I said that the rules of the NFL differ from the XFL. So it goes for the WBO, WBA, WBC, and IBF.

Just because you don't know the intricacies of every organizations rules doesn't mean they don't exist. It's pretty wild of you to talk corruption in boxing and then bring up pro soccer (ah, FIFA, a sanctioning body that's famously free of corruption). Not that boxing isn't corrupt, but if you're going to complain you should be more specific (Dave Moretti is a good example).
              It's not just the alphabet organizations. The rules differ from fight to fight within the same organization depending on where the fight is hosted, and even the same fighters in the same location could have different rules, different ring, etc for a second fight.

And you absolutely were talking about the rules of high school sports vs pro. Don't pretend you weren't. Not that any of your nitpicks even address the point.

Comment

Hagler outworks Hopkins. Hopkins would try to fake an injury mid fight. Any attempt to slow the fight down to fight at a manageable pace would be met with crushing blows.

Comment

And you absolutely were talking about the rules of high school sports vs pro. Don't pretend you weren't. Not that any of your nitpicks even address the point.
                  You can lead a horse to water but you probably can't teach one to read, at least in my experience.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
                    Did John Ruiz actually land many blows on Roy Jones at all, to say he ruined him? I haven’t seen that fight in a while.
                    All I remember was Roy sticking and moving, and Ruiz swinging and missing. Roy got hit a few times, but he just reset and went back to sticking and moving.

Comment

Working...
                    X