Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Charles Conwell Gears Up Again With Golden Boy, Aims for Vergil Ortiz Jr.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Charles Conwell Gears Up Again With Golden Boy, Aims for Vergil Ortiz Jr.

After being sidelined for more than a year while working out the kinks in his team, Charles Conwell signed with Golden Boy and is now anticipating fighting on the April 20 Devin Haney-Ryan Garcia card.
    [Click Here To Read More]

Should be a good fight down the line. Maybe early next year
    Boricua181 Boricua181 likes this.

Comment

Pump yo brakes Chuck! Oscar didn't sign you for that. You are a D.E.I. hire. Hahaha

Comment

"Ortiz is slated to fight April 27 in Fresno, California, against Thomas Dulorme."

WTF??? Dulorme @ 154???​

Comment

Jose Ramirez vs Rances Barthelemy and Vergil Ortiz Jr vs Thomas Dulorme set for April 27th
          Joseph Diaz Jr vs Oscar Duarte and Marlen Esparza vs Gabriela Alaniz are also on tap
          By Patrick Stumberg Mar 25, 2024

Golden Boy Promotions is reportedly gearing up for an absolute crapshoot on April 27th, as Mike Coppinger reports that Jose Ramirez vs Rances Barthelemy will headline a Fresno show on DAZN alongside Vergil Ortiz Jr vs Thomas Dulorme.

There was clearly something in the water the night Ramirez (28-1, 18 KO) fell to Josh Taylor, as the former has been just as thorough in torching his career as the former. He’s fought just twice in the nearly three years since, defeating Jose Pedraza and Richard Commey while turning down both an eliminator with Liam Paro and title fights against Jose Zepeda, Regis Prograis, and Teofimo Lopez.

Barthelemy (30-2-1, 15 KO), now 38, edged out Omar Juarez last May to rebound from a questionable stoppage loss in his uncharacteristically watchable 2022 firefight with Gary Antuanne Russell. He’s still got something left in the tank, but I cannot fathom the idea of giving him a main event in 2024.

That said, it’s still by far the better matchup. Dulorme (26-6-1, 17 KO) is 1-3 in his last four, has never fought above 147, and hasn’t seen any action since beating 19-11 Abrahan Peralta in July 2022. Does anyone seriously think this will in any way prepare Ortiz (20-0, 20 KO) for Israil Madrimov? You can’t even say it’ll give him rounds when the last competent man to fight Dulorme put him down in 109 seconds.

Seriously, what is with fighters moving up in weight and then continuing to fight guys from their old division? Zurdo Ramirez dragging up Joe Smith Jr, Ryan Garcia fighting Oscar Duarte, etc. Just absolute weenie behavior.

There should at least be two semi-decent matchups that night, with Coppinger reporting JoJo Diaz vs Oscar Duarte and Jake Donovan naming Marlen Esparza vs Gabriela Alaniz 2, but I’d say GBP should be ashamed of themselves if I thought Oscar De La Hoya understood the concept.

https://www.badlefthook.com/2024/3/2...ws-2024​

Comment

Conwell is lined up to fight for that WBC strap first.. lets see how Sulaiman moves things, looks like he simply declared Fundora a new knocked out world champion LOL..

Comment

Originally posted by Teetotaler69 View Post
              Should be a good fight down the line. Maybe early next year
              You've got that right Teetotaler69, I would like to see Conwell vs Ortiz, as well. I've got Conwell winning that fight when it does happen, Ortiz is too fragile.
              That dude is always coming down with some new ailment, he'll develop Conwell-itus when they do finally fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Bronx2245 View Post
                Jose Ramirez vs Rances Barthelemy and Vergil Ortiz Jr vs Thomas Dulorme set for April 27th
                Joseph Diaz Jr vs Oscar Duarte and Marlen Esparza vs Gabriela Alaniz are also on tap
                By Patrick Stumberg Mar 25, 2024

Golden Boy Promotions is reportedly gearing up for an absolute crapshoot on April 27th, as Mike Coppinger reports that Jose Ramirez vs Rances Barthelemy will headline a Fresno show on DAZN alongside Vergil Ortiz Jr vs Thomas Dulorme.

There was clearly something in the water the night Ramirez (28-1, 18 KO) fell to Josh Taylor, as the former has been just as thorough in torching his career as the former. He’s fought just twice in the nearly three years since, defeating Jose Pedraza and Richard Commey while turning down both an eliminator with Liam Paro and title fights against Jose Zepeda, Regis Prograis, and Teofimo Lopez.

Barthelemy (30-2-1, 15 KO), now 38, edged out Omar Juarez last May to rebound from a questionable stoppage loss in his uncharacteristically watchable 2022 firefight with Gary Antuanne Russell. He’s still got something left in the tank, but I cannot fathom the idea of giving him a main event in 2024.

That said, it’s still by far the better matchup. Dulorme (26-6-1, 17 KO) is 1-3 in his last four, has never fought above 147, and hasn’t seen any action since beating 19-11 Abrahan Peralta in July 2022. Does anyone seriously think this will in any way prepare Ortiz (20-0, 20 KO) for Israil Madrimov? You can’t even say it’ll give him rounds when the last competent man to fight Dulorme put him down in 109 seconds.

Seriously, what is with fighters moving up in weight and then continuing to fight guys from their old division? Zurdo Ramirez dragging up Joe Smith Jr, Ryan Garcia fighting Oscar Duarte, etc. Just absolute weenie behavior.

There should at least be two semi-decent matchups that night, with Coppinger reporting JoJo Diaz vs Oscar Duarte and Jake Donovan naming Marlen Esparza vs Gabriela Alaniz 2, but I’d say GBP should be ashamed of themselves if I thought Oscar De La Hoya understood the concept.

https://www.badlefthook.com/2024/3/2...ws-2024​
                I couldn't have stated it much better Bronx2245, Dulorme hasn't been competitive in quite a few years.
                Diaz vs Duarte might turn out to be a competitive fight. Barthelemy can lull you to sleep but Ramirez, better watch out for the Cuban's power.

Comment

If Conwell really wanted smoke at 154, he signs with PBC, not Golden Boy.

Comment

Originally posted by Boricua181 View Post

You've got that right Teetotaler69, I would like to see Conwell vs Ortiz, as well. I've got Conwell winning that fight when it does happen, Ortiz is too fragile.
                    That dude is always coming down with some new ailment, he'll develop Conwell-itus when they do finally fight.
                    Ortiz "fragile" where the heck you get that from he never been down or really hurt throughout his career....**** Crawford has been put on skates by featherweights is he "fragile" to you too? Or are you talking about his illness which he's not the only fighter to have time off due to Illnesses but as far as in the ring Ortiz has proven durable More so than guys like Crawford and Spence so yeah.

I would bet you Vergil lights his ass up brutally...conwell arguably just lost to his last opponent which was a washed up journeymen.
                    Last edited by Regge; 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X