Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Floyd Mayweather start the Rehydration Clause ?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by crimsonfalcon07 View Post
    Floyd did try to have one put in vs Canelo but there ended up not being one. And there was supposed to be one for his matchup vs Marquez, along with a catchweight of 144, to make it more fair for the lightweight champion coming up, but Mayweather got those scrapped, so Marquez ended up fighting 3 weight divisions up from his usual. I think that's how they're supposed to be used, to make it more fair for the B-side, rather than stacking the deck for the A-side, but, well, boxing...
    You need to start analysing boxing on more than just a surface level.

Alvarez, Marquez, and most of Mayweather Junior's opponents were all weight draining themselves 'In reality they were competing weight divisions below their more natural fight weight'.

Floyd Mayweather in comparison, was a old school fighter 'Meaning he did not weight drain himself extensively at any point in his career'.

Whatever weight class Mayweather Junior was fighting in? Then on the night of the fight, he was extremely close to the weight limit.

It has only been since the introduction of 'The same day weigh in rule, have fighters started to take weight draining techniques to the extremes. Sugar Ray Robinson, Jake Lamotta, Rocky Graziano, none of those fighters were weight draining themselves to the extreme of Alvarez has within his career'.

Sugar Ray Leonard fight night weight was never 15-20 pounds heavier than his weigh in weight 'Under the same day weigh in rule, there was no toxic weight draining culture in boxing'.

Note: When Marquez vs Mayweather Junior fight was announced to take place at a catch weight of 144 pounds 'With no rehydration clause'. Floyd Mayweather Junior was actually the fighter who was making the fight more difficult for himself, anyone who has any knowledge of training. Will understand that it is easier for a fighter to move up in weight, than it is for a fighter to come down in weight'.

Floyd Mayweather Junior even after being semi-retired for 20 months, weighed in vs Marquez 146 pounds 'I would also imagine that, there was not much a difference between the fight night weights of both fighters'.

If people want to complain about fighters, distorting the sport with weigh in tactics 'Then Floyd Mayweather Junior, is not the fighter ALL you people should be targeting'.

Floyd Mayweather Junior was a old school fighter, meaning? Due to his training methodologies which he used, he could travel back in time and still be competitive 'Mayweather Junior never relied heavily on modern day training techniques during his career. And more importantly Mayweather Junior's lifestyle was very similar to fighters in past era's, who were obligated to weigh in on the same day of the fight'.

Bernard Hopkins, Carl Froch those are some other modern day fighters 'Who also incorporated the old school way of training, and staying close to their fighting weight at all times'.

In reality? It is the fighters of this modern day era, who have created the catch weights and rehydration clauses 'The only reason why catch weights and rehydration clauses are used, is because there is a toxic weight draining culture in boxing. There is a mass of boxers who all believe that it is mandatory that they must weight drain themselves, and basically in my opinion pose as something they are not'.

Benavidez in no other boxing era, would be a 168 pound fighter 'Benavidez is fighting I estimate, two full weight classes below his more natural fighting weight'.

Canelo Alvarez only at this point of his career? Is he now fighting in a weight class 'That is more closer to his more natural fighting weight'.

To conclude: The boxers in the sport, who believe that it is a mandate to weight drain themselves 'And promote the toxic weight draining culture in boxing, those are the fighters responsible for catch weights and rehydration clauses. Those are the fighters who in my opinion have distorted the perception of the sport'.

In the lower weight classes, I personally don't think modern day fighters 'Train to win primarily. Not to the intensity and focus of past era's. Modern day fighters seem from my observation to primarily train to make the weight'.

It is always a talking point, whenever there is a big fight in the lower weight classes 'There is always somebody bringing up the topic of weight. There is always a fighter making a excuse, that he was weight drained'.

Terrence Crawford vs Errol Spence Junior, Ryan Gracia vs Gervonta 'Tank' Davis, Chris Eubank Junior vs Liam Smith II 'I have just highlighted a few recent fights, were making the weight has been used as a excuse for the losing fighter'.

It is all the boxers who have endorsed the toxic weight draining culture, that have started catch weights and rehydration clauses 'If there was no toxic weight draining culture in the sport, then in the lower weight classes? The competition would be more pure, less manufactured'.

The competition would be more organic and less manufactured, because when fights would happen in the lower weight classes 'Viewers of the sport, and the fighters themselves. Would know that when a Welter Weight or Super Middle Weight fight is announced. Two Welter Weights and Super Middle Weights will be fighting each other, with the primary objective to win'.

Currently right now? This is not the situation in boxing 'If a Welter Weight or Super Middle Weight fight is announced in this modern era. You may get one fighter who is genuine Welter Weight or Super Middle Weight fighter, and then you may get a opponent who is weight draining themselves to be the big man on fight night'.

And those fighters who are weight draining themselves extensively, can sometimes be a weight class or two weight classes above on fight night. Eventually that sort of training and lifestyle has been shown over a long duration of time, to have a negative effect on fighters performance and overall conditioning.

Those fighters, and people who endorse that type of lifestyle 'You all need to stop complaining'.

Fighters who weight drain themselves to be the big man on fight night 'All they are telling me is that, they don't want to fight their opponents in a direct competition'.

This is why the Heavyweight Division, as a open class division 'Is the purest form of competition. Because the fighters are preparing optimally for themselves, there is no weight limit, catch weights or rehydration clauses, just two fighters preparing to the best of their ability to win'.

Of course the dynamic within the lower weight class is different by it's nature, even under the same day weight in rule 'But at least the competition was more pure during those past era's. Fighters knew exactly what they were preparing for, and for me they trained to win primarily and not just to make the weight'.

Floyd Mayweather Junior is a old school fighter 'Mayweather Junior is not responsible for the toxic weight draining culture in boxing. And he is not responsible for the fighters, who feel the need to be the big man in fight night'.

All the fighters in the game, who extensively weight drain themselves and endorse the toxic weight draining culture 'They are the fighters who started catch weights and rehydration clauses' If they where not using those training methodologies, or having this lifestyle? Catch weights and rehydration clauses, would not be significant factor at times like it is within this modern day era during big fights' etc.

Last edited by PRINCEKOOL; 03-26-2024, 10:43 AM.
    tonysoprano tonysoprano likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by RJJ-94-02=GOAT View Post

Yeah I think they started doing it around the early 2010’s if I remember correctly.

Yeah unifications are fought under unified rules or something like that, so the the rehydration limit doesn’t apply.
      I literally said what and when it was on the first page lol

Comment

Originally posted by _Rexy_ View Post

I literally said what and when it was on the first page lol
        Did it become commonplace after Gatti-Gamache? I can never really remember rehydration clauses being a regularity until the last decade or so.

Comment

Originally posted by RJJ-94-02=GOAT View Post

Did it become commonplace after Gatti-Gamache? I can never really remember rehydration clauses being a regularity until the last decade or so.
          Its started to be more common with the fighters jumping weightclasses, the idea is the big guy cant blow right up, no point to have it for any other reason than a guy moving up in weight.

Comment

Originally posted by PRINCEKOOL View Post

All the fighters in the game, who extensively weight drain themselves and endorse the toxic weight draining culture 'They are the fighters who started catch weights and rehydration clauses' If they where not using those training methodologies, or having this lifestyle? Catch weights and rehydration clauses, would not be significant factor at times like it is within this modern day era during big fights' etc.

Was more trying to reference the published rationale about why there were attempts to have rehydration clauses in those fights. I'm not one to try to talk smack about Floyd. He's going to go down in history as an ATG no matter what whining happens from his detractors.

And you're preaching to the choir about weight cutting. I think it should be banned, and people should fight at their walking weights. Weight cutting is essentially an entirely other potentially lethal sport, and I agree that it's like sanctioning cheating, especially when there's no standards for when the weigh in is supposed to happen.

Comment

It would be nice to have a list of fighters that demanded rehydration clauses.

top of my head, only canelo and tank's fights comes to mind. floyd attempted to have one but rumors spread and he tucked his tail between his legs.

I dont find rehydration clauses to be evil or anything. Some fighters prefer fighting opponents that are the same size as them.

Rehydration clause without catchweight is actually better than catchweight without rehydration clauses. At least the former is happening at an established weight class while the latter is weight class created per the demand of the A-side fighter. (but some fighters not only demand a catchweight they also demand rehydration clauses; greedy f_cks)

In a way, rehydration clause without catchweight is an anti-weight-bully design.

Comment

Originally posted by PryorHawk View Post
                It would be nice to have a list of fighters that demanded rehydration clauses.

top of my head, only canelo and tank's fights comes to mind. floyd attempted to have one but rumors spread and he tucked his tail between his legs.

I dont find rehydration clauses to be evil or anything. Some fighters prefer fighting opponents that are the same size as them.

Rehydration clause without catchweight is actually better than catchweight without rehydration clauses. At least the former is happening at an established weight class while the latter is weight class created per the demand of the A-side fighter. (but some fighters not only demand a catchweight they also demand rehydration clauses; greedy f_cks)

In a way, rehydration clause without catchweight is an anti-weight-bully design.
                I hate both TBH. To me, the only time I'd be fine with a catch weight is if a top champ from one division and the top champ from the one above/below decided to fight and meet in the middle. But that type of **** doesn't happen anymore.

As for rehydration clauses, I've seen them given as a stipulation after a fighter misses weight. I'm fine with that too. An example would be if say I and another fighter had a LHW fight, and he came in at 178. To salvage the fight, my team would demand he can only rehydrate X amount
                Last edited by _Rexy_; 03-26-2024, 10:49 PM.

Comment

I hate both TBH. To me, the only time I'd be fine with a catch weight is if a top champ from one division and the top champ from the one above/below decided to fight and meet in the middle. But that type of **** doesn't happen anymore.

As for rehydration clauses, I've seen them given as a stipulation after a fighter misses weight. I'm fine with that too. An example would be if say I and another fighter had a LHW fight, and he came in at 178. To salvage the fight, my team would demand he can only rehydrate X amount
                  Meet in the middle is a CW, as soon as you contract a weight that is under the divisional limit its a CW. The higher weight guy must come in lighter than he normally does meaning he is handicaped.

I think it should be if a lower weight guy wants to move up and fight a higher weight guy well that's on him I don't think the higher weight guy should be forced to come down, its a negative for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Roadblock View Post

Meet in the middle is a CW, as soon as you contract a weight that is under the divisional limit its a CW. The higher weight guy must come in lighter than he normally does meaning he is handicaped.

I think it should be if a lower weight guy wants to move up and fight a higher weight guy well that's on him I don't think the higher weight guy should be forced to come down, its a negative for them.
                    Ideally nobody would have to drain themselves, and the person moving up would be put at the same disadvantrage as they've never come in that heavy, but yeah nobody fights at their natural weight these days anyways...

Comment

Ideally nobody would have to drain themselves, and the person moving up would be put at the same disadvantrage as they've never come in that heavy, but yeah nobody fights at their natural weight these days anyways...
                      Its not the same disadvantage, they just don't dry out as much and can train heavier coming up they are always stronger it doesn't hurt them, the guy coming down is always at the disadvantage just some its minimal and others they are weakened a lot depending on the individual and how close to the edge they were before coming down.

Comment

Working...
                      X