Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Atlas Argues That Canelo Must Fight Benavidez To Be Rated Best Super Middleweight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by A.B Counterhooks View Post

Benavidez aint mexican tho.
    That's funny, Canelo said he was, which is why he said he wouldn't fight him for years.

Comment

Boxing, as with any sport, is a "what have you done for me lately" affair. This isn't a knock on a fighter's past accomplishments. The records stand as unalterable history. But that's just what records are, history.

Canelo has done a lot of boxing, and he's made a lot of money, and perhaps made his mark on history. But if he wants to be champion *today, then he has to face Benavidez. He doesn't have to face Benavidez to make a lot of money, or to be "the face of boxing." But he does have to face Benavidez if he wants to call himself the champion of the *world, because Benavidez is part of the world, and he's pretty clearly the number one contender for the title.

Canelo might be happy with what he's accomplished. He has plenty of money, and an impressive number of belts and trophies. If he wants to cherry pick fights for the remainder of his career, he's in a position to do that, and considering how risky boxing is to one's health, no one could blame him. I for one wouldn't.

But if he still wants to be world champion, and not just a paper champion, then that road is through Benavidez. Period.

PS: A possible exception: If Canelo wants to make a super-fight with Crawford, I think most people will give him a pass for that. While the weight difference is substantial, the skill level that Crawford brings makes him a formidable challenger. But that would be the only exception at this time.
      Last edited by Daniel Skillman; 03-27-2024, 10:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BodyBagz View Post

Thank you and, with no disrespect -
        How many names would you be calling me if I said Nelo beat Plant better (and 1st) ?
        Paulina also ''endorses'' Benny (for what it's worth)
        Not many live bodies to test that 0, eh ?
        I'd rightly assume Nelo could have beaten his lineup just as easily ?

No doubt (the bold)
        Pirog beat Jacobs better.

Comment

My boy Teddy telling it like it is... As always ...

Comment

Thank you and, with no disrespect -
            How many names would you be calling me if I said Nelo beat Plant better (and 1st) ?
            Paulina also ''endorses'' Benny (for what it's worth)
            Not many live bodies to test that 0, eh ?
            I'd rightly assume Nelo could have beaten his lineup just as easily ?

No doubt (the bold)
            I don't need to call you any names for having an opinion. People shouldn't disrespect someone just because they differ in opinion.

I'd ask you to rewatch both fights. Benavidez bloodied and battered Plant; Canelo allowed Plant to dance until he caught him- if I recall the fights correctly.

We see the impact Floyd had on endorsing Tank. A legend's endorsement is meaningful, at least in the public's eye.

Any man who steps in the ring is beyond a live body. Yes, some may be too scared to be effective; some may have all the heart and no skill; some are better than others; some are contenders; some are champions; some are great; some are G.O.A.T's. Benavidez has increased his level of competition.

The same could be said of Benavidez , that he would have beaten the opponents Nelo has. We'll never know, unfortunately; Benavidez vs GGG, prime for prime, would be a fantastic fight. Also, Canelo just recently came to 168. Benavidez never fought at 154 or 160, to my knowledge.

Honestly, I'm not a Benavidez fan. Great fighter. I don't hate him, or am a hater of him. I'm indifferent to him. Same goes for Canelo. I think they should fight, though.
            Last edited by TreD; 03-30-2024, 08:42 AM.
            BodyBagz BodyBagz likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by TreD View Post

I don't need to call you any names for having an opinion. People should disrespect someone just because they differ in opinion.

I'd ask you to rewatch both fights. Benavidez bloodied and battered Plant; Canelo allowed Plant to dance until he caught him- if I recall the fights correctly.

We see the impact Floyd had on endorsing Tank. A legend's endorsement is meaningful, at least in the public's eye.

Any man who steps in the ring is beyond a live body. Yes, some may be too scared to be effective; some may have all the heart and no skill; some are better than others; some are contenders; some are champions; some are great; some are G.O.A.T's. Benavidez has increased his level of competition.

The same could be said of Benavidez , that he would have beaten the opponents Nelo has. We'll never know, unfortunately; Benavidez vs GGG, prime for prime, would be a fantastic fight. Also, Canelo just recently came to 168. Benavidez never fought at 154 or 160, to my knowledge.

Honestly, I'm not a Benavidez fan. Great fighter. I don't hate him, or am a hater of him. I'm indifferent to him. Same goes for Canelo. I think they should fight, though.
              Benny > Plant UD12
              After
              Nelo > Plant TKO

And no, not every boxer is worth a shlt.
              For the life of me, this ''there are no bums in boxing'' BULLSHlT has to end since we have ALL at one point or other called a boxer a bum.
              Not all champs are worth remembering
              Not all ''top'' ranked fighters are worth mentioning

Every sport/occupation/career has it's bum.
              Boxing is definitely no exception.

No one speaks highly of Benny's resume
              In fact, most people are openly reluctant to even acknowledge he has one.

Benny is ''great''.....why ?

They will fight
              Nelo will win
              Haters will make excuses
              And place another hoop for him, AND ONLY HIM, to jump through
              It's how boxing fans behave

Comment

Originally posted by Haka View Post

Pirog beat Jacobs better.
                Pirog's reign at the top of all boxing was a reign like no other

Pirog > SRR > Ali > May > SRL > etc........

Comment

Benny > Plant UD12
                  After
                  Nelo > Plant TKO

For the life of me, this ''there are no bums in boxing'' BULLSHlT has to end since we have ALL at one point or other called a boxer a bum.

They will fight
                  Nelo will win
                  Haters will make excuses
                  I believe Ali called Frazier a "bum"; it's relative. But if you haven't stepped in a ring, professionally, your "bum" moniker is useless.

Benny is great because of the way he fights and dominates opponents, usually. Every is entitled to believe what they want about another's greatness.

Nelo is the face of boxing. Of course, he'll have another hoop to jump through, like Floyd did.

Comment

Benny > Plant UD12
                    After
                    Nelo > Plant TKO

They will fight
                    Nelo will win
                    Haters will make excuses

It's a shame ginger lost his balls.

Comment

Originally posted by TreD View Post

I believe Ali called Frazier a "bum"; it's relative. But if you haven't stepped in a ring......
                      at where the last bit was going.

So I will repeat this, knowing you do this everyday -
                      Criticize a movie when you yourself has never directed, produced or starred in one
                      Ditto for musicians and singers. Clearly you have never performed in front of 1000s of total strangers

Boxing is not above having bums.
                      We all say Broner is a bum.
                      Cryin Ryan is said to be on the cusp of bumhood
                      While Horn was able to rob Pac, 99% of us fight fans will have called him a bum
                      TreD TreD likes this.

Comment

Working...
                      X