Comments Thread For: Froch: Saudi Arabia's Millions Are 'Ruining' Boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Combat Talk Radio

So you would have missed...

...wow. Can't imagine calling yourself a fan and admitting you didn't like or didn't want to see any of those three - and there are tons of others. Like Cunningham yelling at Broner.

that's not what he's talking about. he's talking about splitting the screen during the actual round when fighting is taking place to show the trainer saying stuff from the crowd. it's unnecessary

Comment

Originally posted by vitruvian View Post
      The only thing I can't stand about the Saudi's getting involved is a lot of these fights are oddly being shown when the sun is still shining and it's fookin weird. I liked the late night fights especially the old school days of Jim Lampley and what's with having flipping commercials during a boxing match? That's the stuff that needs changed and filtered out. No more ESPN BS. DAZN isn't bad. Be just fine if they hired Lamps, Max Kellerman (Larry is a bit too old for the role) and maybe bring Roy back the old HBO crew and show the fights later in the evening. It's just not cool having my main event ring walk at 5pm. Something about that just sucks. Aside from that the Saudi's are doing us all a favor by forcing these divas into a match by offering them money they can't refuse.
      I like this comment. But I’ll tell you what’s interesting about it…… that tells me you’re more of a tv fight watcher.

i live on the east coast and I feel the same way as you. I’d watch the fights, enjoy my night with friends, and then end up in need an hour or so later. But what made it weird for me was when I went to a couple fights in Vegas. It was so strange. Cuz Vegas is 3 hours behind. So after the main event, we were going out for dinner haha. Totally changed my perspective! I realize how different it is for different areas of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Curtis2 View Post
        Forget about about Saudi’s money in boxing, golf, soccer, they’ll have White House seats if Crump has his way!!!
        I believe you are thinking of a different administration.

Comment

Originally posted by Curtis2 View Post
          Forget about about Saudi’s money in boxing, golf, soccer, they’ll have White House seats if Crump has his way!!!
          ———-
          Nope. We ALL know which lobbyist and country controls the White House.

Comment

Originally posted by Combat Talk Radio

...wow. Can't imagine calling yourself a fan and admitting you didn't like or didn't want to see any of those three - and there are tons of others. Like Cunningham yelling at Broner.
            Stop trolling dude. I didnt ask you to imagine anything.

Comment

Originally posted by rickJen View Post
              Tourism is far from their main objective.
              There are already millions of ****** pilgrims all over the world going to Mecca for their mandatory religious obligation called Haj.
              It used to be their main source of income in the olden days, or pre oil boom.
              Boxing and other sports festivals are only part of giving the impression that they're no longer a close society.
              I read it somewhere that the Crown Prince is jealous of other Middle East countries like Dubai and Abu Dhabi.
              He recognizes it can't happen overnight, but they're inching towards it like giving women rights to drive vehicles, for example.
              ———-
              So what exactly is their objective? Women can now drive, a lot of roles are getting laxed and they are moving away from oil as a long term plan.

Bottonline though is, whatever whitewashing they are doing, the US and the U.K. are worse. Invading other nations and killing millions and looting natural resources.

Comment

Originally posted by Southpaw16 View Post
                This has been an issue for a long time in boxing, but I fail to see what Saudi money has to do with it. All the Saudi money has done is actually get us some fights we want to see.
                Has it? Which fights?

Comment

This is a terrible take quite honestly. The Saudis are just the latest participant in the boxing market. They will exit if they don't think it works for them. One should embrace the decentralised, ever evolving structure of boxing.

In my lifetime, no sustained event was worse than the inability to get Mayweather and Pacquiao in the same ring for five years.
                  Eff Pandas Eff Pandas likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post

That in theory sounds like a bigger issue than it'll be in practice. The Saudis, from most accounts, are only planning on doing 6ish shows a year. If 6 shows mess up a whole countries boxing foundation I'd argue they didn't have much of a foundation to begin with. If they end up doing monthly or more frequent shows at some point maybe I could see an issue, but otherwise this feels like more of a fluke thing that could end tomorrow or it'll just help make fights that otherwise wouldn't be makeable like Fury vs Usyk or Beterbiev vs Bivol. So I don't think we will have legit issues, but if Saudi is doing 18-24 cards a year with the same marketing as these last few then I'd agree with you it could be a legit issue to other big players in the boxing sphere.

Go look at YT. Every 3rd popular YT guy gots boxing content somewhere on their channel now I think. Some regularly talk about it now. Many are pursuing it with that KSI misfits & other leagues. And its also exploded in the legit boxing guy creator community on YT. Go on YT during any big fight & you'll find multiple ppl doing live commentary & getting hundreds of dollars in tips. That was super rare in the past.

For sure this YT interest in boxing has helped the sport & in 10-15yrs I guarantee we'll have some P4P talent who'll say Jake Paul, KSI or Logan or maybe some guy who hasn't fought yet influenced him to start boxing.
                    I totally disagree with that. I just don't think the lazy youtube millennials will end up being inspired by the likes of Jake Paul and KSI to the point where they end up becoming P4P talents. You can guarantee all you want but there's no guarantee, that's just a prediction on your part that up to this point has no evidence to support such a claim.

As for youtubers streaming fights and getting paid for it, I see absolutely no way, shape or form that that helps boxing or is representative of a grassroots movement that's going to lead to more pro boxers of note. They're just cashing in on the boxing youtuber trend.

Comment

Originally posted by theface07 View Post

I totally disagree with that. I just don't think the lazy youtube millennials will end up being inspired by the likes of Jake Paul and KSI to the point where they end up becoming P4P talents. You can guarantee all you want but there's no guarantee, that's just a prediction on your part that up to this point has no evidence to support such a claim.
                      I think you are being naive at the impact things can make on young ppl. I don't think most boxing fans have a clue how disassociated most ppl, young & old, have been from boxing til only recently with these YT ppl getting into the sport. YT sh^t is the #1 or among the top entertainment hubs young ppl consume these days. Boxing entering that hub as widely as it has is huge. It has already had a big impact on the sport & that ripple its made will only grow with some kids over time. Obviously it'll take awhile to be proven right, but I believe I will be. Feel free to disagree, we shall see eventually.

As for youtubers streaming fights and getting paid for it, I see absolutely no way, shape or form that that helps boxing or is representative of a grassroots movement that's going to lead to more pro boxers of note. They're just cashing in on the boxing youtuber trend.
                      Again short sighted. The attention getting sphere these YT folks have built their life on has impact on sh^t all over. The fact they are doing boxing content at all shows interest has already grown cuz there is no money in talking about sh^t ppl don't gaf about.

For an old school podcast guy like myself I remember when Joe Rogan used to talk about float tanks all the time when almost no one had heard of them. Back when I first heard him talk about them I was super curious about them. I looked online & there were none in like a several hundred mile radius to me & maybe a dozen-ish in total in the US iirc. I kinda forgot about it for a few yrs before I looked again & saw there was one where I lived & now there are around 200+ float tank spas in the US. Thats almost exclusively from a comedian who started talking about it on a podcast thats been popular for less than a decade & only around in total 15yrs. Thats an example in how these ppl talking about boxing could grow boxing. I understand its hard to extrapolate this out that far & I'm not saying boxing will have the same results Rogan talking did with float tanks, but it'll have results.

Comment

Working...
                      X