No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Calzaghe Laments Abandoned Tradition

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by daggum View Post

no they didnt lol. revising history is awfully fun isnt it?

calzaghe's own promoter...

"You know he grossed 18 million quid with me. That's big money for a guy that wouldn't travel, that wouldn't get off his arse to go and do press."

"He wouldn't get on a plane. He said he had a fear of flying. Yet I can remember after one fight he flew to the West Indies for a holiday"

"At one stage it got so farcical I had to pay opponents cash up front before they would sign a contract because they were afraid of going through weeks of training camps for nothing when he pulled out."

"I lost $100,000 to Glen Johnson when Joe pulled out of a world title fight with him for a second time"

yeah this is the guy who wanted the big fights...please. he coasted during his career till the last couple years.
    That’s the first time I’ve ever heard anything about Joe like that
    Well , tell you what , I recall many times North American fighters mentioning his name and threatening to fight him but not many were willing to go see the champ
    But I do remember myself questioning why he wasn’t coming over

Comment

Originally posted by HandsofIron View Post

What they should do is have a national champion representing America (IBF) and every other belt consolidated into one international title (WBC, WBA, WBO, IBO).

​​​​That way, there will only be one American champ in each weight class and the national champ can fight the international champ for undisputed, world championship supremacy.
      We have that here in the UK with BBBofC (British Boxing Board of Control), CBC (Commonwealth Boxing Council & EBU (European Boxing Union) Sadly the IBF & WBO have gatecrashed the European!

Comment

Originally posted by Mick Higgs View Post
        Sadly the IBF & WBO have gatecrashed the European!
        The IBF and WBOgus having "European" titles is financial opportunism, pure and simple. Fighters are enticed to contest, and pay for, these bogus belts so they can ascend bogus rankings.

Comment

"You know he grossed 18 million quid with me. That's big money for a guy that wouldn't travel, that wouldn't get off his arse to go and do press."

"He wouldn't get on a plane. He said he had a fear of flying. Yet I can remember after one fight he flew to the West Indies for a holiday"

"At one stage it got so farcical I had to pay opponents cash up front before they would sign a contract because they were afraid of going through weeks of training camps for nothing when he pulled out."

"I lost $100,000 to Glen Johnson when Joe pulled out of a world title fight with him for a second time"

yeah this is the guy who wanted the big fights...please. he coasted during his career till the last couple years. he was an opportunist.

Originally posted by MulaKO View Post
          That’s the first time I’ve ever heard anything about Joe like that
          Well , tell you what , I recall many times North American fighters mentioning his name and threatening to fight him but not many were willing to go see the champ
          But I do remember myself questioning why he wasn’t coming over
          You're both right to an extent, Calzaghe certainly shoulders some of the blame for the lack of exposure in his career. I actually think he's a somewhat shy person who didn't really crave the limelight. I got pretty frustrated with his career towards the end. It was a very good career, not a great one.
          MulaKO MulaKO likes this.

Comment

yeah this is the guy who wanted the big fights...please. he coasted during his career till the last couple years. he was an opportunist.
            This was after they had fallen out and Joe had sued him for millions.

It's well known that Calzaghe was injury prone hence the Johnson fight not happening. How many people would pick Johnson over Joe?

Calzaghe was relatively high risk/low reward so of course it was difficult for him to get big names prior to beating Lacy.
            MulaKO MulaKO likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by LAchargers373 View Post
              Lmao fresh coming from calzaghe who till every relevant American boxer his weight was over 40 before he came across the pond to challenge them smh

This, Calzaghe acts like its some accomplishment to stay at 168, in reality he didnt want prime Roy, theres actually a direct quote from him admitting this.

Comment

Originally posted by Sid-Knee View Post

Calzaghe not only beat every relevant American his weight class, but had Jones and Hopkins duck him years earlier. The only time Calzaghe could get them in the ring, the fight happened straight away.

Calzaghe was willing to travel as well when they both duked him too. However, i do see this lie constantly being spewed. And that's all it is, a lie.

lmfao you got to be kidding me, there is no way anyone really believes this.

Comment

Originally posted by elfag View Post

lmfao you got to be kidding me, there is no way anyone really believes this.
                  Are you saying Hopkins didn't agree to the fight, then pull out?

Comment

Calzaghe would have whipped Canelo. A better fight would be Calzaghe vs Ward. If Ward won all the girls in here would complain how Ward ruffed up Calzaghe.
                    Tuff fight for both men.

Comment

Originally posted by MONGOOSE66 View Post
                      Calzaghe would have whipped Canelo. A better fight would be Calzaghe vs Ward. If Ward won all the girls in here would complain how Ward ruffed up Calzaghe.
                      Tuff fight for both men.
                      Calzaghe was no pushover either
                      If Ward would bedirty , Calzaghe would size him up right away

Comment

Working...
                      X