Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Golden Boy Reacts To Tony Weeks' Statements on Fredrick Lawson

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not Weeks should be the one disclosing this info.

Albeit if there is any doubt you'd hope Lawson can turn to something other than boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by Spray_resistant View Post
      Pretty sketchy if they let him fight in that condition just to let Ortiz look good and Weeks to jump in at the slightest bit of trouble. I don't know if its true but it would explain 1. Week's actions 2. Shady promoters doing what they do in order to sell their product without any risk since they were unsure about Ortiz after his medical issues.
      And the thing many of us mentioned on the live fight thread:

3. Why Lawson went giddy after a pretty innocuous counter left. It didn't make sense that it rocked him and sent him into 100% cover up mode.

Weeks' comments feel like they make a lot of sense. I can't say they're true, but they need serious investigation. I'd hoped we were past the days where this stuff happened - I'm thinking Don King pushing people to clear Ali to fight Holmes.

Comment

Originally posted by Bronx2245 View Post
        WOW!!! An Aneurysm??? C'mon GBP! That's foul! Tony Weeks has to get out the game! I totally understand his concerns for the health of the fighter, but it's part of the game, so obviously Tony needs to get out of the game! Vergil needs a real test now! Jesus Ramos, Terrell Gausha, or Austin Trout!
        Not good to have a preconceived notion... but he might have just shown himself to be the one ethical person in boxing if there's any truth to his post.

You've got managers and promoters fighting against drugs bans, networks pushing mismatches. This now has to be investigated - Weeks has opened up a huge can of worms.
        Bronx2245 Bronx2245 likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Toffee View Post

And the thing many of us mentioned on the live fight thread:

3. Why Lawson went giddy after a pretty innocuous counter left. It didn't make sense that it rocked him and sent him into 100% cover up mode.

Weeks' comments feel like they make a lot of sense. I can't say they're true, but they need serious investigation. I'd hoped we were past the days where this stuff happened - I'm thinking Don King pushing people to clear Ali to fight Holmes.
          That’s reaching. Spence was rocked off counter jabs. You get rocked off shots you don’t anticipate, it happens. Canelo vs. Jose Cotto, another notable example.

Comment

Originally posted by BIGPOPPAPUMP View Post
            The first major U.S. boxing show of the new year has sparked a major controversy. Golden Boy Promotions was forced to address allegations surrounding the medical clearance process for the Vergil Ortiz-Fredrick Lawson DAZN headliner this past Saturday at ****** Hotels Las Vegas. Ortiz was credited with a first-round stoppage win, though referee Tony Weeks was widely criticized for what many regarded as an extremely quick stoppage.
            [Click Here To Read More]
            So, they gave Ortiz a corpse to fight?

Comment

It's what happens when you bring in guys who shouldn't even be in the ring with these fighters in the first place. Next fight it's gotta be someone decent.

Comment

Originally posted by Liondw View Post
                Tony Weeks is essentially saying that he went into the fight with a preconceived view, prejudiced stance against Lawson.

He basically says that he knew he would stop the fight at the slightest hint of Lawson being hurt. That's not good at all.

Tony was involved in refereeing some good and great fights. He stopped the first Castillo-Corrales war, and few complained of that stoppage.

But he's been in bad form lately, to put it mildly. He needs to be better, if continuing that job.
                He also claimed that Barrios’s age was on his mind when he stopped the Rolly fight. He’s full of **** and shouldn’t be reffing anymore

Comment

what a crap show lol

weeks has taken it on himself to 'police' the sport, too old, no problem weeks will protect u (& u take an L lol), too sick, no problem (u get hit weeks will protect u), hey what about sick note ortiz, i mean this guy has more health issues than pretty much anyone other boxer, maybe he needs weeks too, bloody nose, ok ur done tonight virgil lol

its hard to even take in, something is seriously wrong somewhere, weeks shouldnt have any personal medical info of people and should definitely not be disclosing it online, if its even true in the first place, dr weeks lol

Comment

This seems pretty shady. He shouldn't have been cleared to fight at all.

Comment

7DC8B44F-0707-43DA-9162-0EBD2788F069.jpeg.webp

Dr Tony, i've got a bit of a headache
                      Ok, just take 2 paracetamols
                      thanks dr tony

Comment

Working...
                      X