Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joshua Clottey Implies That He THREW The Manny Pacquiao Fight Over A Money Dispute (Same As Curtis Harper)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joshua Clottey Implies That He THREW The Manny Pacquiao Fight Over A Money Dispute (Same As Curtis Harper)

Original article: https://www.myjoyonline.com/my-loss-...oshua-clottey/

image.png

“The manager [Vinny Scolpino] had already accepted $1 million as payment. I came in and negotiated $1.35 million,” Clottey said on the TV show. “It was a fight I was supposed to get $2 million as the pay. The pay-per-view was $100 for each viewer but he negotiated [only] $3 on my behalf out of the $100. Even with the $3, I could only earn my share after 300,000 buys. So if 300,001 people buy, I will earn only $3.”

“So you would basically fight for free?” Clottey’s interviewer, Muftawa Nabila Abdulai, asked him at this point.

“Yeah,” Clottey said. “I tried negotiating but they claimed if I can’t fight I should leave so I had to take the fight. Meanwhile, my manager was making 33 percent profit from each pay-per-view income including the fight money. I regret signing with that manager. I was supposed to make more money. I was not happy about the Pacquiao fight because I had three years on my contract with my manager so I decided to blow it up. I even went to his office to negotiate for him to take 25 percent so I take 8 percent but he said no.”
    Clottey did make decent money from both the Pacquiao and Cotto fights, but has said he made hardly nothing the rest of his career, due to the expenses of his team and taxes.

Manny just can't catch a break. First, the Ariza Shakes stuff, then a shady ref that verbally admits he helped Manny, now this (which was obvious).
    Last edited by Combat Talk Radio; 12-29-2023, 11:02 AM.
    Indict45 Convict45 Smash Smash like this.

He got screwed financially by his own promoter, so in protest he just turtled up for the whole fight. Can't blame Pacquiao or his team for this. Who knows, if Clottey actually tried to fight, he probably would've been KTFO.
    Leicesterage Combat Talk Radio likes this.

Comment

That was a weird performance by him so might be legit.

How did his promoter screw him?

Comment

It’s years later and everyone has moved on.
        El_Mero El_Mero likes this.

Comment

sounds like really shady stuff, u could almost sue for that maybe idk
          Leicesterage Combat Talk Radio likes this.

Comment

He wouldn't have beaten Pacquiao anyway. Sucks he got screwed though.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
              That was a weird performance by him so might be legit.

How did his promoter screw him?
              It wasn't his promoter - it was his manager who was doing the negotiations, basically giving fights away and still pocketing a percentage.

Comment

Working...
              X