No announcement yet.

why did wilder duck joshua? the great mystery

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why did wilder duck joshua? the great mystery

in 2018 wilder was offered 100 million for 3 fights in a dazn deal but instead only made reportedly around 50 million for his next 3 pbc fights. maybe he just wanted harder fights? well thats not true either...

joshua was ranked #1(ring) while fury was ranked #7(ring) in the first wilder fight. heres the proof...

https://www.boxingscene.com/tyson-fu...stakes--134225

here are the betting lines for the 2 fights...

Jun 12, 2018 — Bovada has listed odds for the bout, with Joshua (21-0, 20 KO) a -225 favorite over Wilder
    Nov 29, 2018 — Bovada has Wilder at -170 favorite over fury​​

easier fights for less money but since he lost to fury the revisionist history industry has been a booming.

lets do a present day analogy. imagine canelo gets offered 100 million to fight benavidez, says no, im gonna fight #7 ranked vladimir shishkin for 50 million. its not a duck if canelo loses!
    lfc19titles lfc19titles likes this.

"Muh 50 gorillion." Boring.

Comment

Daggum as usual is disingenuous. He holds boxers that are American to a different standard than he does non Americans.

Imagine if Manny Pacquio is offered $40 mil, no ppv, which is over 40% more than he ever earned as the headliner a side, to fight Floyd.

Instead he fights JMM, ranked lower than Floyd, for much less money and wins. Daggum says that isn’t a duck.

Yet with Wilder he claims taking less to fight a lower ranked fighter is a duck.

I think this makes clear daggum isn’t a poster with any integrity or credibility.
      Last edited by The Big Dunn; 12-21-2023, 02:40 PM.

Comment

From my understanding he was talked out of that deal by Haymon. And, even then, I believe that deal was presented by DAZN directly who then went and claimed that they themselves were unhappy with how they approached Wilder with it. Their former CEO is on record for saying that too. It would have involved cutting out Haymon and going back on their relationship with Showtime who ended up being the ones to broadcast the Brezeale fight...who was part of the 4 fight deal.

Haymon/Finkrl squashing Wilder Joshua DAZN deal:
        https://www.espn.co.uk/boxing/story/...ure-dazn-offer

DAZNs John Skipper regrets on Wilder deal:
        https://www.************.com/2019/11...y-wilder-deal/

TBH I may be biased being a Wilder fan, but multifight deals are always shady as **** and it doesn't really surprise me that, despite Wilder turning it down, neither Hearn or Joshua have been super keen on highlighting the fact that he did turn it down. Sounds like something the broadcaster put together hoping to get Wilder onto the platform. Whilst I actually think it was smart not to take it (I question how good Dazn are when it comes to their fighter guarantees considering Canelo essentially had to go to court to get out of his $300m contract) I won't deny that Wilder wsnt exactly falling over himself go make the Joshua fight himself. But it's laughable at anyone pretending as if it's a sign that anyone was trying to duck Joshua.

TBH this is my issue with Joshua and his fanbase in general. Talks of 50m and 120m deals are pointless at this point. End of the day both seem to available and yet Hearn and Joshua seems awfully mum on the affair. My biggest problem with Joshua and Hearn is their reliance on perception over actual fights.

Comment

Very true. He's making an average of $1 mil purses before being associated with the UK star. Then that moronic Eddie Hearn made ridiculous offers about 20x Wilder's average purse, then all of a sudden Wilder and his fans thought, "Heavyweight boxing in America is back doe!!! We don't need no Joshua and an obscure UK promoter doe!! We can do it on our own doe!!" Then Deontay waxed poetic about the value of loyalty. He's in the Dream Team he said. Espinoza who was in that team bolted and got sick of overpaying delusion.

Comment

Working...
          X