No announcement yet.

Investigative boxing journalism

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jqSide View Post
    True investigative reporting means you're on your own and never be too close to any fighter, promoter, or any boxing entity. Meaning, if you're too negative, you run the risk of not being invited in any press conferences, or might get banned entirely. So it's not easy to be on your own trying to piece things together.
    Yea this is why it's not really viable as a lane to stay in. I think boxing is ripe to have many things exposed but it'd need to be someone who has minimal connections to boxing whos goal is to expose issues & move on to the next thing that needs exposing not be a full time boxing thing.

Ik Tstreet used to do a lot of secretive like sh^t & that Blue Blood guy always has outrageous claim titles to his videos, but those guys are more conspiracy boxing guys than truly doing any legit investigating. Boxing is such a small world idk that you could really do much investigating that wasn't mostly speculation.

Comment

Originally posted by 661averagejoe View Post

ESPN has shefter and woj they alway have inside info on teams and players
      Theres a ton of boxing ppl with inside info. Every time a big fight gets made theres ALWAYS ppl hinting about it weeks or days in advance of the official announcement. I don't think this is the same thing as OP is talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
        Are there NFL or NBA investigative journalists?
        I'm British and don't follow those sports so can't speak to that, but as you're probably aware soccer is a huge deal in Europe. There are many investigative football journalists who have exposed institutional corruption in UEFA, FIFA and at individual clubs. There was a corruption scandal involving several prominent Italian clubs not too long ago. Manchester City's attempts at circumventing Financial Fair Play (FFP) rules have also been covered in depth by serious journalists.

Comment

The last legit investigation was when that one guy exposed Mayweather for being on steroids against Pacquiao back in 2015. And froid has such a huge fanbase that nobody talks about it and acts like it never happened

Comment

If anything big happened I would expect it to come from outside of normal boxing media. Boxing is a small niche full of nepotism and yes nobody will rock the boat because they wont be given press passes anymore. Most of those reporters like boxing which is a blessing and a curse because of course they want to be paid to attend live boxing events so they arent going to investigate the ABC's massive corruption anymore.

It would have to come from an investigative reporter outside of boxing who has done that type of work before who is able to find inside sources and whistleblower types and it would be a more expensive story to run for the media and they probably see little value in it because with boxing being a niche sport, most people's reactions would be "who cares".

If I were to tell random friends, family, coworkers about how olympic boxing is at high risk of being removed due to massive corruption they would basically not give a chit because they dont watch it anyways. So there is no real incentive for legacy/mainstream media to investigate pro boxing corruption.

You want a real crazy take on it, I think maybe someone like Jake Paul might be just the guy to even do anything about it, he has made connections and if he brought on an investigative reporter to start taking a look and they ran a mini documentary on his channel it would bring a whole new outside audience into looking at it and maybe the kids who like Paul would be interested in watching it.
            dan-b dan-b likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by dan-b View Post
              Any real journalists in boxing or are we doomed to talk about Hearn and Wilder's 50 gorillion forevermore?
              The real facts will never come out unscathed because there's nothing in the middle,
              except extreme fanatical views with obvious agenda from the other side.
              I for one still remember the timeline and it's not pretty to hear if you're on that other side.

That's why it's best to document everything from written news articles to video clips as they are happening.
              And now such articles and videos are hard to find to have any semblance of presentation for an investigative report.
              Point is, they're all out there without even talking to anybody. You just have to piece them together.
              But like I said, they're no longer easy to find.
              Last edited by rickJen; 11-26-2023, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Any investigative reporters covering the status of where PBC is headed?
                dan-b dan-b likes this.

Comment

Any investigative reporting on the chances of Crawford/Spence rematch getting made?
                  Last edited by Bullrider; 12-01-2023, 05:24 PM.

Comment

How about the Crawford vs Canelo obsession if the Spence rematch is scrapped?

Crawford and his trainer are already acting as if some mystery investor is already getting ready to make offers for the fight.

Comment

Bumping this following Crawford's recent comments. Does he not realise most of what he characterises as "haters" is just bottom tier "media" like Leicesterage rage harvesting for revenue? He should be clever enough to recognise this rather than joining in the rage.

Comment

Working...
                      X