Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why not Luis Ortiz on the Saudi card?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zhang vs Ortiz would be epic. 40 yr olds going at it.

Comment

Originally posted by famicommander View Post
      His legs are gone. He seems to be all there mentally but he can't keep his legs underneath him anymore when he gets hit. Too old, too many battles.

But even still, nobody wants to fight Ortiz and for good reason:
      -he's a southpaw. there are still very few southpaw heavyweights compared to other divisions so a lot of guys haven't even sparred a good one, let alone fought one
      -he's old and fat, so if you beat him you get zero credit and if he beats you everyone laughs
      -he has popped for drugs before, so he's always a risk to do it again and cheat in the fight and/or get the fight canceled or delayed due to a test
      -he's super technically sound
      -he still hits like a truck
      -he doesn't speak good English so it's hard to promote fights with him
      -he's Cuban, not Puerto Rican or Mexican or American, so there's no in-built fanbase for him anywhere except South Florida

He's the textbook definition of "high risk, low reward"

You could lose, you could win but look really bad doing it, you could end up wasting your time because he pops for PED and the fight gets axed. And if you win, again, so what, you beat a 45 year old fatass. Nobody will give you credit. Much smarter idea to fight a less risky opponent for a lot more money.

I had him beating Ruiz even with the knockdowns. I had it 8 rounds to 4 which is 116-112; subtract 3 points for the knockdowns and that's a 113-112 win in my book.
      Right on all accounts (except maybe calling him fat haha. Looks better than Ruiz, Fury, and a few other guys.

But yeah, when he got dropped in the Martin fight, I jumped up and said "oh ****, his legs are shot!" I was happy to see him get the win, and expected him to retire after that. And you're 100% right on getting a win and looking bad in the process. Ruiz has an Ortiz W on his resume, but his stock took a definite hit to anyone who actually watched that fight.

Comment

Originally posted by The D3vil View Post
        Ortiz is 145 years old.

Let's just let him go.
        I talked to Frank Sinatra and you know what he said? "Louis Ortiz is 147 years old!"

Comment

Originally posted by tomhawq View Post
          Zhang vs Ortiz would be epic. 40 yr olds going at it.
          Two lefties, too.

Comment

Originally posted by MusoMeanderings View Post

I talked to Frank Sinatra and you know what he said? "Louis Ortiz is 147 years old!"

Comment

Working...
            X