Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why didn't "The Contender" take off and succeed the way "The Ultimate Fighter" has?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

****ty editing which tried too hard to make ****ty fights look like something out of a Rocky film.

Comment

I think what someone alluded to there about things not happening so quickly in boxing may be part of it.

Perhaps if the show guaranteed an immediate world title challenge for the winner (maybe as part of the final show), then it may have been more popular. That might have been more intriguing to the mainstream audience (as impossible as it would be to achieve).

But instead, there is a Contender winner. And as muddled as the sport is to an outside, what does a Contender winner actually mean?

I liked the show for what it was. I only ever saw the third season in its entirity and thought it was great entertainment...especially the final match Bika - Codrington!

Comment

Originally posted by MissDeeCole View Post
        I liked the show but it could have been better, and I was just wondering what everyones thoughts were on why boxing's version of a reality show didn't become a big hit like the UFC version has. For one, I think theres alot of ways it could have been done better, like maybe if HBO was in charge of it, since theyve done such a good job with 24/7. what are some things that would make as successful "Contender" or Contender spinoff if you were in charge
        the thing with the Ultimate Fighter is they have a lot of drama, kiddy bull****. like guys getting angry at each other for not taking out the trash or popping their basketball and other bullcrap.

thats what reality shows are built on though. silly confrontations and people being jackasses to each other in a home setting.

the contender didnt really have that, they just tried to talk about the backgrounds of the guys and then show the fights. they had some short rivalries, but thats it.

also there werent any huge standout fighters in the contender. a few names we recongnised, but overall the guys in it didnt go on or started out doing much at the top level.
        I liked the show for what it was. I only ever saw the third season in its entirity and thought it was great entertainment...especially the final match Bika - Codrington!
        yea, people forget about this fight, but Bika-Codrington was a great fight! a bunch of knockdowns in the first round, a brutal final ending, and lots of action throughout.

I wonder what Codrington is up to now? the guy was still pretty young, and he did destroy Vera much faster than Kirkland.
        Last edited by Steak; 10-05-2009, 10:59 PM.

Comment

One word - WWE

The Ultimate fighter came on right after WWE and it was a great move as they attracted a whole new audience(spoilt,airheaded morons).

Practially all of the ufc's fanbase consist of former WWE fans,as the WWE and Pro wrestling declined,the ufc grew in popularity.

The ufc hasn't affected boxing in the slightest as it's the WWE who they have taken fans off of.

mmGAY is a slightly more real version of WWE wrestling.

bob arum spoke the truth!

"guys who can't throw a punch and can't take one neither.These guys have no chins!"

Comment

I liked the show but it could have been better, and I was just wondering what everyones thoughts were on why boxing's version of a reality show didn't become a big hit like the UFC version has. For one, I think theres alot of ways it could have been done better, like maybe if HBO was in charge of it, since theyve done such a good job with 24/7. what are some things that would make as successful "Contender" or Contender spinoff if you were in charge
            cause real boxing fans know that the contender is a joke... only in MMA can any scrub off the street compete at the elite level.

Comment

Two different sports with different fans, shouldnt compare them. But the reason is when the average Joe watches MMA he sees it as something he can basically walk in and do, not so with boxing, an average Joe walk into the squared circle against someone who knows boxing he is getting knocked out.

Comment

Originally posted by Pullcounter View Post
                cause real boxing fans know that the contender is a joke... only in MMA can any scrub off the street compete at the elite level.
                Lmfao! :cheesy:

Comment

There is only one reason. Ultimate Fighter winners go on to be marketed as super stars, while Contender winners go on to be marketed as opponents for legitimate champions.

Comment

2 words sergio mora

Comment

Showing the fights in their entirety would have been a good start.

Comment

Working...
                      X