No announcement yet.

If Hopkins / Calzaghe rematched ...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by _Troy_McCoy_ View Post
    At making people move up in weight to fight him, yes he is the master at that alright
    considering he was the underdog (cough) - Trinidad and Pavlik.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Jesus View Post
      I don't want to be biased so i'm gonna go with Calzaghe. I think the first fight was close but it would have been more of an uproar if the fight was given to Hopkins than given to Calzaghe.

Calzaghe decisions Hopkins again on workrate but no real shots land.
      okay so say if Hopkins upped his workrate - isn't that a factor that would be taken into the rematch.

He threw more punches in the Pavlik fight then the Calzaghe fight.

Comment

• Originally posted by Roger Mellie View Post
        Maybe.
        One irony about them fighting in 2000 is that Joe could really crack back then,and Hopkins workrate was much higher!
        hence why Hopkins would have won back then!

Comment

• Originally posted by KrisSilver View Post
          I didn't see that original quote then so apologies, but there is some validity in it, in that who would, KO Calzaghe from 160-175?
          No worries, Kris. But to answer your question, that wasn't my argument. I was just countering his idea that you can only beat Joe by KO'ing him and only someone 200lbs + could do that. Ludicrous.

I don't think Calzaghe Hopkins 2 would have been worth it at all. It wasn't entertaining and all that would be seen, is more of the same in many peoples view. That does not sell. Those I see as wanting to have seen a rematch do seem to be fans of Hopkins, and imo overly optimistic and wanting, for Hopkins to avenge the loss. Because it's not for the entertainment value, let's face it.
          Calzaghe-Hopkins II may not have done great numbers but if it was about entertainment value than Calzaghe-Hopkins I shouldn't have been made either. It's just not a good excuse. Especially since what Calzaghe chose to do instead lost money.
          Dawson just simply is not at the elite level of either two, though he certainly was the next best guy in line and closest match. What's the point in lining them up when you've already beaten the best though. Again I think it comes down to too many people wanting that because of slight feelings of wanting to be proven right and see Calzaghe lose, and just struggle with the idea of Dawson being even more of an under dog again. No one at 160-175 was favoured over Calzaghe at that time, and still wouldn't be now at 37. Whilst I appreciate that will always leave some names off the resume, that itself says a hell of lot.
          I disagree about Dawson and thought it would be an excellent match. But "what if" sucks. It didn't happen and neither did the rematch.

Comment

• Originally posted by Walterson View Post
            okay so say if Hopkins upped his workrate - isn't that a factor that would be taken into the rematch.

He threw more punches in the Pavlik fight then the Calzaghe fight.
            it's easier throwing punches against a one-dimensional fighter that does'nt even try to 'avoid' anything than it is against a fighter that ducks and weaves and counters
            he did'nt throw as many punches for a reason, the reason = different fighters, different styles

Comment

• Why Hopkins lost?

- first up, he came off a near year layoff without a tune up fight.

- i think Roach is a great trainer at times but sometimes the fighter he has makes him look better than he should (i.e. Pacquiao). The gameplan for Calzaghe was wrong, Hopkins went for the body too much. He wouldn't do next time.

- It was an off night for him, why would he then go ahead to throw more punches in the Pavlik fight, seems like (cough) somebodies stamina has gone up.

- A lot of people are pretty blind, and technique hugely outweighs sloppy workrate. If you throw a 100 punches you should be aiming to connect more than 75% not less than 25%. Hopkins slipped and dogded more than 75% of Calzaghes shots. Yet, Calzaghe is rewarded for throwing wild punches yet Hopkins nothing for dodging and slipping. I rate dodging and slipping much more highly than aggressiveness.

a rematch?

- many here state that Joe would win again at a much wider decision due to throwing more. Where were the 1000 punches in the first fight, seems like someones game plan got disrupted.

- Hopkins would up his workrate, that's all he would need. With Nazim as his right hand man.

Calzaghe knows it himself that he would clearly lose in a rematch. Why would he offer Jones a rematch and not Hopkins, quite clear to me

Comment

• Originally posted by Chr0nic View Post
                it's easier throwing punches against a one-dimensional fighter that does'nt even try to 'avoid' anything than it is against a fighter that ducks and weaves and counters
                he did'nt throw as many punches for a reason, the reason = different fighters, different styles
                no the reason is he improved his stamina for the Pavlik fight.

Comment

• Originally posted by Walterson View Post
                  no the reason is he improved his stamina for the Pavlik fight.
                  yea...that's it

Comment

• Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
                    Yeah, it's a byproduct of excessive HGH use.

I kid, I kid. Just couldn't help myself.
                    hehe

but if he does have it it makes his boxing achievements all the more impressive. some of the major symptoms relate to lethargica, breathlessness and a weak heart (obviously all being large hinderances in boxing)

probably is the cause of his hair loss too lol

Comment

• Originally posted by S.G. View Post
                      hehe

but if he does have it it makes his boxing achievements all the more impressive. some of the major symptoms relate to lethargica, breathlessness and a weak heart (obviously all being large hinderances in boxing)

probably is the cause of his hair loss too lol
                      LOL. I don't know what was wrong with Hopkins against Calzaghe but Calzaghe showed up with bigger balls. Plain and simple. Still was a very tight matchup and a rematch was definitely in order but Joe didn't seem interested and his fans definitely weren't.

Comment

Working...
                      X