Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hot 97 interview with Terence Crawford (8/3/2023)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot 97 interview with Terence Crawford (8/3/2023)

https://youtu.be/Zeh5xLoQtgA

Some key points
    • Bud said Boots fight is possible but he feels like he has bigger (money?) fights to make. He specifically said he wants Charlo at 154. "I'm looking for bigger and better opportunities, like Charlo.
    • Said he doesn't know of anyone else he could fight besides Charlo and Spence that would do big numbers except Canelo but "he fights at 168 plus, so I don't see me and him fighting"
    • Said it's not personal against Charlo but he doesn't care for the dude (sounds personal to me lol)
    • Said he walks around in the 160s, he's around 160 today
    • He said he's fine with fighting Spence in December if Errol wants it. Bud said he's obligated to take the fight.
    • Said all the excuses are coming out for Spence just like he predicted
    • Is pretty upset he had to wait this long for the fight. Specifically said he felt disrespected when Showtime/PBC would leave his name out when showing the top 147 guys. "They tried to outlaw me so fans forget about me."
    • Says the biggest he can fight at is 154

This was from the first 1/3 of the interview, you should check out the rest, very interesting

​​​​​

Originally posted by joesaiditstrue View Post

Some key points
    • Bud said Boots fight is possible but he feels like he has bigger (money?) fights to make. He specifically said he wants Charlo at 154. "I'm looking for bigger and better opportunities, like Charlo.
    • Said he doesn't know of anyone else he could fight besides Charlo and Spence that would do big numbers except Canelo but "he fights at 168 plus, so I don't see me and him fighting"
    • Said it's not personal against Charlo but he doesn't care for the dude (sounds personal to me lol)
    • He said he's fine with fighting Spence in December if Errol wants it. Bud said he's obligated to take the fight.
    • Is pretty upset he had to wait this long for the fight. Specifically said he felt disrespected when Showtime/PBC would leave his name out when showing the top 147 guys. "They tried to outlaw me so fans forget about me."

This was from the first 1/3 of the interview, you should check out the rest, very interesting

​​​​​
    Haven't seen the interview, but I'd be surprised if he doesn't feel he has a chance at grabbing at least a portion of the 160 titles given the wasteland that is that division. I'd actually be quite interested to see him in with Gualtieri or Janibek.

Comment

I think Crawford has $ fights at 154 next year without Charlo. He has an obligation to rematch Spence which I hope he just gets out the way this year. Then hopefully Tszyu and Ortiz can do their part and pick up some vacant titles. He may have to travel to Australia for Tszyu but itll sell and make for a sweet return to Vegas for Ortiz.
      El_Mero El_Mero likes this.

Comment

He also said he took NOT getting fights vs PBC guys personal until he learned more about the business side of things.

And that the fight happened at the right time vs 5 years ago when it would have been just them 2 fighting with nothing historical on the line.

Also confirmed what many on here have said, that Errol made this fight happen, when PBC wanted him to move on and up to 154 vs Thurman due to the contract dispute.

*I never believed Bud was ducking, but I think he was naive about getting certain fights while still being with Top Rank. Pretty sure he gets all of it now. He's now in the driver's seat.
        Last edited by Gary Coleman; 08-03-2023, 10:43 AM.

Comment

I think if somehow he can get Charlo in the ring with him at 154lbs and can take those belts, he can retire on such a high note. The man will have accomplished something nearly impossible to pull off in the 4 belt era.

Since he's going to be 36 by the end of the year, he doesn't have much more time left in the division to be as effective. He looked sharp against Spence, but Spence was also 33, going to be 34 soon. I don't think Bud should take a fight against a younger guy whose up and coming just to put that guys name out there.

Comment

Originally posted by joesaiditstrue View Post

Some key points

​​​​​
            Certain networks ignoring other fighters happens all the time. It’s so dirty though
            El_Mero El_Mero likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by ELPacman View Post
              I think if somehow he can get Charlo in the ring with him at 154lbs and can take those belts, he can retire on such a high note. The man will have accomplished something nearly impossible to pull off in the 4 belt era.

Since he's going to be 36 by the end of the year, he doesn't have much more time left in the division to be as effective. He looked sharp against Spence, but Spence was also 33, going to be 34 soon. I don't think Bud should take a fight against a younger guy whose up and coming just to put that guys name out there.
              I've been watching boxing since I was 9 years old (43 now)

what I've learned about guys like Crawford is he's gonna take up the challenges that're asked of him by the public, and I'll just tell you right now people are gonna want him to take on Canelo after he beats Charlo

he said he can't go past 154 but that could just be his advisor talking, leaves open some wiggle room for future negotiations ("Look I'm on record saying I wouldn't fight past 154, so you're (Canelo) gonna have to make it worth it"

I would not be shocked at all if Bud fights Canelo at a catch weight around 160-164 before he retires

Nobody is asking him to fight Keith Thurman or Tim Tszyu, outside of hardcore's on message boards

People want him to fight

Tank
              Charlo
              Canelo

and maybe a Spence rematch in a year or two

Have Spence take the WBO belt from Tszyu, and that rematch becomes more interesting
              ELPacman ELPacman likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Pac=Duran View Post

Certain networks ignoring other fighters happens all the time. It’s so dirty though
                I’ve never seen it before except with showtime. They literally shared the current champions at welterweight and omitted Crawford. I remember Thurman pushing the idea that no one cares about the WBO and you don’t need it to be “undisputed”. Thurman really is a hell of a shill when you think back at the things he would say.

Comment

Working...
                X