Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

State of the Business: Wilder/Fury Trilogy The Only Real Exciting Heavyweight Fights In Recent Memory

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• State of the Business: Wilder/Fury Trilogy The Only Real Exciting Heavyweight Fights In Recent Memory

And that's sad, really.

A guy who was binging on drugs, alcohol and hookers gets off the couch to outbox Wilder over 12; then stop him, then knock him out.

You simply can't name any heavyweight fight that came anywhere close in terms of overall entertainment as a fight. Even Joshua/Ruiz 1 wasn't that good.

Can anyone name a better heavyweight fight? And is the heavyweight division now just as dead and stale as 168?

Ruiz-Joshua 1 and Joshua-Klitschko were entertaining fights.

Fury-Wilder had much more significance though.

Comment

Chris Arreola vs Adam Kownacki.

Guys combined to throw over 2000 punches at heavyweight.

Comment

Holyfield Bowe 1 and especially 2 were quality wise better.
        Tyson and Holyfield 1 and 2 were more exciting.
        Last edited by BoxingOutlaw; 06-23-2023, 05:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingOutlaw View Post
          Holyfield Bowe 1 and especially 2 were quality wide better.
          Tyson and Holyfield 1 and 2 were more exciting.
          Recent memory. Last 10 years or so.

Comment

I'm sure there have been some good fights that I can't think of right now, but yeah not that many on the top level.

Faust-Kiladze was kinda fun, I had no expectations. Probably doesn't qualify as a great fight but more like Maurice Harris-Derrick Jefferson type of HW fight. But it had that DJ Khaled looking ref in Florida, he screwed it up

Lenier Pero v Giovani Bruzon, I think this was on the same card as the fight above. Two Cuban prospects matched against each other,, that was a pretty good fight, nothing epic but plenty of grueling exchanges.

Zhang-Hrgovic - nothing pretty or continuous action, but a slow burner, a lot of heavy duty shots landed. Even the Saudi crowd was into it. That fight might turn out to be one of the more noteworthy fights for the division going forward as Zhang is back on the verge of a shot and Hrgovic is still there too.
            Last edited by LA_2_Vegas; 06-23-2023, 09:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X