No announcement yet.

The heavyweight division is absolutely wonderful

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Carnivore
    Leonard and Hearns were probably better than the current welterweights, I can actually see that in their fights.

But that has nothing to do with Wladimir and Vitali measuring up to Bowe and Holyfield. From watching the old fights, I can see that the 90s heavyweights were not as special as their fans imagine them to be.
    Vitali and Wlad are on par with Bowe and Holyfield, it's just that due to powers beyond them that they have no competition.

Comment

Originally posted by Benny Leonard View Post
      Sometimes true and sometimes not.

I just brought up a thread the other day discussing if Tommy Hearns and Sugar Ray Leonard were in their prime at WW now....how would it look?

Do you really think those two lose against the likes of Cotto, Floyd, Pac, Berto, and Mosley?

Take the Klitschkos out of the equation because they are very good...and look at the contenders of the division and compare them to the previous era, the 90's.
      Leonard and Hearns were probably better than the current welterweights, I can actually see that in their fights. I do think Pacquiao would be competitive with any featherweight or lightweight in history.

But that has nothing to do with Wladimir and Vitali measuring up to Bowe and Holyfield. From watching the old fights, I can see that the 90s heavyweights were not as special as their fans imagine them to be.

Comment

I rather have one man dominate a division while others try to take him down... its cool to see 2 brothers ruling the division, but its gonna get old and I rather see one man standing

Comment

Originally posted by Carnivore
          Leonard and Hearns were probably better than the current welterweights, I can actually see that in their fights. I do think Pacquiao would be competitive with any featherweight or lightweight in history.

The 90's HWs were good HW but the Klitschkos are good no matter what. Compared to this era of contenders, so far, the 90's were better. That's what I'm getting at. If others are saying the Klitschkos couldn't compete, then that is another thing.

We have this problem with many eras being exaggerated actually so I can agree with that point.

Comment

Originally posted by S a m u r a i View Post
            Yeah, I work for PX doing web-based stuff. Awesome band.
            Lucky! I never bothered to do anything in the field after my failed graphic design venture at uni (aced it with a BTEC in college, though).

Tony has a new album in the works and he also just rejoined Planet X.
            I was about to buy a ticket to see them in London this month, but just as I came into some extra cash they went and cancelled it until next year. Apparently either Sherinian or TMac had some personal problems which caused it? Hope it's nothing too serious.

TMac actually does have a new album in the pipeline? Hoo-ray for that! I've been waiting for some new **** since Chromaticity, which absolutely ruled (in the face of any pricks on here who says I live in the past - it's as good as his '80s stuff).

I can't wait for their next album, I'm hoping it's as good as Moonbabies, which is their best, IMO.
            Yeah, MoonBabies seems the most consistent out of all their works. It's not as crazy and eclectic as either Universe or Quantum. There's a lot more focus to it.

Where did you see Holdsworth live? I've always wanted to see him but somehow never managed to catch a show.
            I saw him at the Jazz Cafe in Camden, back in November '07. The old fart kept us waiting (standing up) for nigh on 2 hours, but it was well worth it to see everything so close up in the end. One guy even shouted "None Too Soon!" when he finally took up the stage. A flawless performance - he even played Fred and all the other classics.

Great to know there's someone on here who appreciates real musicians. Respect to you my man.
            Goodness me... With the stuff I listen to, the last place I would've expected to have found a like-minded fan would be on a bitchy boxing forum.

Comment

Vitali could compete and be a top guy in any era. Wladimir has a weak chin so i'm not 100% about that for him. That would be dangerous against big punchers like Foreman, Tyson or even a Lennox Lewis.

Comment

Thank god for the Klitschko brothers

Comment

Originally posted by PittyPat View Post
                  Lucky! I never bothered to do anything in the field after my failed graphic design venture at uni (aced it with a BTEC in college, though).
                  It's almost pointless getting into web design nowadays anyway because everyone and their dog is a designer. There's just too much competition out there.

I was about to buy a ticket to see them in London this month, but just as I came into some extra cash they went and cancelled it until next year. Apparently either Sherinian or TMac had some personal problems which caused it? Hope it's nothing too serious.
                  I never found anything out regarding what the problem was, but on the other hand I haven't been in touch with Derek very much recently.

The tour is on for early next year, if everything goes to plan.

TMac actually does have a new album in the pipeline? Hoo-ray for that! I've been waiting for some new **** since Chromaticity, which absolutely ruled (in the face of any pricks on here who says I live in the past - it's as good as his '80s stuff).
                  Yeah, he's had something in the works for a while and you're definitely not alone, a lot of us are waiting for something new. I agree, Chromaticity is a GREAT album, definitely one of his best.

[quote=PittyPat;6203155] Yeah, MoonBabies seems the most consistent out of all their works. It's not as crazy and eclectic as either Universe or Quantum. There's a lot more focus to it.

Definitely.

I saw him at the Jazz Cafe in Camden, back in November '07. The old fart kept us waiting (standing up) for nigh on 2 hours, but it was well worth it to see everything so close up in the end. One guy even shouted "None Too Soon!" when he finally took up the stage. A flawless performance - he even played Fred and all the other classics.
                  That's awesome man. Hey, did he aplogize for his playing? He often does it. I have a friend who saw him and when we asked if he apologized he said yeah! Allan's a ****ing genius though. I like the fact that he has no ego whatsoever and genuinely feels sorry if he doesn't play as good as he thinks he should have, but even on a bad day he still blows any other guitar player away. I'll make an exception for Shawn Lane, even though he's dead. Oh, and Guthrie Govan is rather good as well.

Goodness me... With the stuff I listen to, the last place I would've expected to have found a like-minded fan would be on a bitchy boxing forum.
                  Likewise!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Comment

did he aplogize for his playing? He often does it. I have a friend who saw him and when we asked if he apologized he said yeah!
                    All the time. But what I really loved is that he instructed everyone to give a big hand to Wackerman and Johnson in between each song. Every time a song would finish, he'd nod his head as if to say "Not that big a deal", and then pointed towards the lads in a sort of "Cheer for them, not me!" kinda thing.

Oh, and he seemed to have a bit of a problem with the overhead stage lights shining right at him...

Allan's a ****ing genius though. I like the fact that he has no ego whatsoever and genuinely feels sorry if he doesn't play as good as he thinks he should have, but even on a bad day he still blows any other guitar player away.
                    I find it heartwarming yet completely odd that he's stuck so rigorously to this "I'm really not that great, I wish people wouldn't call me a god or anything like that" aura. In a way I feel sorry for the guy, because it seems like he has these perpetual internal struggles to both satisfy himself with his own music, and get people to buy it - all whilst not wanting heaps of praise. The poor bloke just can't win either way!

I'll make an exception for Shawn Lane, even though he's dead. Oh, and Guthrie Govan is rather good as well.
                    Lane will forever be my favourite slinger of all time - I had a big auld celebration of his music yesterday, on the 6th anniversary of his passing. There's no doubt in my mind that he was the fastest, as well as being one of the best fusion players to have ever lived. His blatant Holdsworth homages were second to none.

Govan I've never been too keen on, though. Technique-wise he's obviously amazing, and he's a cool guy on his instructionals, but the music and concepts leave me bored stiff.

What a good way to hijack and completely throw off a ****ty thread.

Comment

What a good way to hijack and completely throw off a ****ty thread.
                      It's acually a very good thread...

I'm glad you keep bumping it for me! I want people coming to boxingscene to see it.

Comment

Working...
                      X