Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Stevenson's Return 4/8 Headed To Newark's Prudential Center; Yoshino Probable Opponent

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Stevenson's Return 4/8 Headed To Newark's Prudential Center; Yoshino Probable Opponent

Shakur Stevenson will return to his hometown to headline another boxing card ESPN will air April 8. BoxingScene.com has learned that Stevenson's lightweight debut, likely against Japan's Shuichiro Yoshino, will be held at Prudential Center in Newark, New Jersey. The 25-year-old Stevenson (19-0, 9 KOs), who resides near Houston, was born and raised in Newark.
    [Click Here To Read More]

Brick City, Stand Up! Hope they find someone decent for Jared and Keyshawn!
    mgame mgame likes this.

Comment

I might attend this live.

Comment

Stevenson just might get more of a challenge from Yoshino then is expected from the boxing fan's.
        I'm also hoping to see Anderson in a challenging match, Keyshawn has been matched tough in his short pro career.

Comment

Get done Top Rank. Issac Cruz and William Zepeda be running.

Comment

Originally posted by Bronx2245 View Post
            Brick City, Stand Up! Hope they find someone decent for Jared and Keyshawn!
            Brick City, Stand Up! Indeed! It's great to see Shakur Stevenson embracing his Puerto Rican heritage, even after catching some heat for it.

Comment

Shakur isn't Sweet Pea, but you can mention him as having a similar quality of being razor sharp in the ring, being able to consistently make very good fighters miss by barely an inch, then accurately counterpunch them to death, all night. That's what Sweet Pea did in his time, and that's what Shakur does today. And when a fighter has this quality, it doesn't matter how hard the opponent punches. Their sublime skills negate all that power, and they make it look effortless. Not a lot of fighters can do that. Only a few per generation. Salute to Shakur. Keep doing what ur doing
              Last edited by archiemoore1; 01-24-2023, 04:01 PM.
              Rebelrbg Rebelrbg likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Boricua181 View Post

Brick City, Stand Up! Indeed! It's great to see Shakur Stevenson embracing his Puerto Rican heritage, even after catching some heat for it.
                We can't change our roots, so might as well embrace it! As long as he gives ALL PRAISE DUE to his Grandpa, who saved him from the streets, and taught him how to box, who else matters? People are stupid! I remember people questioning was Danny Garcia a Puerto Rican! Hopefully Shakur can fight in PR one day! They don't have the big fights down there like they used to. Last one I remember was Juanma!

Comment

Originally posted by Bronx2245 View Post
                  We can't change our roots, so might as well embrace it! As long as he gives ALL PRAISE DUE to his Grandpa, who saved him from the streets, and taught him how to box, who else matters? People are stupid! I remember people questioning was Danny Garcia a Puerto Rican! Hopefully Shakur can fight in PR one day! They don't have the big fights down there like they used to. Last one I remember was Juanma!
                  It goes beyond stupidity, that's straight up racism. They questioned Danny Garcia, and John Ruiz's, heritage as well.
                  A wise Puerto Rican women once said "I wasn't born in Puerto Rico, but Puerto Rico was born in me"!
                  Puerto Rico hasn't been able to fully recover from all of the natural disaster's that they've gone through in the past few year's.
                  Once they do, they'll undergo a renaissance of their own with fighter's emerging with the skill's, power, and resiliency of our old time great's.
                  There's no doubt in my mind that Shakur Stevenson will at some point in his career fight in Puerto Rico, and he'll gain even more Fan's.
                  I'm also looking forward to the big fight's returning to Puerto Rico, once we have a few established world champion's, I'm sure the big fight's will return.

Comment

Originally posted by Boricua181 View Post

It goes beyond stupidity, that's straight up racism. They questioned Danny Garcia, and John Ruiz's, heritage as well.
                    A wise Puerto Rican women once said "I wasn't born in Puerto Rico, but Puerto Rico was born in me"!
                    Puerto Rico hasn't been able to fully recover from all of the natural disaster's that they've gone through in the past few year's.
                    Once they do, they'll undergo a renaissance of their own with fighter's emerging with the skill's, power, and resiliency of our old time great's.
                    There's no doubt in my mind that Shakur Stevenson will at some point in his career fight in Puerto Rico, and he'll gain even more Fan's.
                    I'm also looking forward to the big fight's returning to Puerto Rico, once we have a few established world champion's, I'm sure the big fight's will return.
                    With Danny Garcia, he came out with a full embrace of Puerto Rico when he went to the island to fight Herrera. But the whole production seemed a bit to forced, such as using a song with the words "I'm Coming Home", which he was not doing, just visiting. By production I mean, I would hope he would visit the island long before making the fight for it to mean something more. Someone was using the media to make it all seem built up, maybe the production crew more than anything. But there's more to it....

I think it is great he embraces his heritage - but their embracing of him is 100% conditional and carries a caveat. And the reason is, and it has to be disheartening for him to know this - the sad thing for someone like him is if he had ever fought Miguel Cotto or a Puerto Rican fighter born and raised on the Island, such as if Danny and Matias' eras had crossed, Puerto Rico would have given Danny a very hard, cold shoulder. They fully support their boxers first, and to infinity, everyone else second. It is what it is and is expected in every culture.

Oscar De La Hoya faced that very situation. Mexicans and Mexican-Americans fully embraced him right up to the point he fought JCC and then he was the sworn enemy for Mexicans south of the border. That had to hurt Oscar to experience that. For Oscar and Danny, it is like being a man of two different worlds and comes down to where they feel most at home, based on where they were raised, and the acceptance level which could never resemble unconditional acceptance from people of their originating heritage - when facing someone from that heritage.

As they say, it truly it is what it is, and no one or no people can be blamed for their alliances. That's in their heart. No one is going to stop loving someone they truly love and favor an outsider or visitor. And there is nothing wrong with that.
                    Last edited by richardt; 01-24-2023, 08:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X