Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: David Benavidez: "I Wish Nothing But The Best For Edgar Berlanga But He's Not Getting Any Better"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BustedKnuckles View Post

Maybe Pacheco needs somebody better?
    Pacheco is only 21. Berlanga would be a step up. The winner would move off to much bigger things imo...

Comment

I disagree Berlanga has fought, and beaten progressively better opponent's one of which has fought for a world title twice.
      Berlanga hasn't scored a knockout in his last four fight's, but two of those opponent's were on the verge of being stopped.
      He's had to go the distant in those four fight's, but he did gain some more experience, and got the need rounds that were missing.
      He's not the monster he started out to be, but he's still undefeated, winning, learning, and getting those boxing rounds in.
      The big question is where in the hell is he? His six month's suspension is over, and still there's been no mention of a return to the ring.
      Berlanga has got to forget about all the bling, and celebrities, start seriously concentrating on his boxing career.
      LA_2_Vegas LA_2_Vegas likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Rebelrbg View Post
        All Berlanga had was the benefit of power, he's extremely limited skill wise, and judging by the way Angulo was walking through his shots, that power angle might be a farce exaggerated by his opposition level.
        Angulo could take repeated shots. That isn’t testament to a lack of power in anyone’s part. He could take punishment well beyond normal limits

Comment

Berlanga is easily distracted. Look at all that shiny BS around his neck and the superstar goggles on his face. U can see where his priorities are. He's young. He'll get stopped then he'll try to get serious. But he craves being seen and heard outside the ring, u can tell. He's out clubbing and around his boys a lot. He could be a lot better. Trainers can only do so much when ur young and hard headed
          pnut901 pnut901 likes this.

Comment

Berlanga is what he is , I don't think that he's got the capacity to get better or to fight different. He's ok but not that good. He can make some money as long as Top Rank keeps shoving him down the Newyoricans throat and putting him in MSG , I think that the Puerto Rican fans know what's up though and Edgar Berlanga isn't going to be the next Trinidad or Cotto. If anyone , and it's a big if , it would be Xander Zayas. It's not just skill and talent that makes the connection between a people and " their fighter" . They are a must, but there's more to it. There is something intangible . For Cotto it was the Torres fight when he was bruised and battered but gutted it out to win , that was when the people accepted him. If Top Rank is smart they will start putting Zayas on top of those MSG cards and out Berlanga further down on the card to see if he can work his way out of this slump.
            Last edited by pnut901; 12-05-2022, 04:00 PM.

Comment

I agree with Benavidez about Berlanga not being on that level. I mean the dude is obviously good at his craft to be even mentioned at this level of the game. I definitely think he needs to keep training and drilling on areas that need work, y I u gotta I possess world-class defense and have to be at the best condition you could possibly get in. I believe Benavidez will Bully Plant in this upcoming fight, however Plant has really impressed me with his skillset his past couple of fights, Bud Crawford believes its a 50-50 fight. I U think Benavidez is just too big and catch him around the 9th or 10th and stop him. I have been wrong before many of times though.

Comment

There are a few ways to look at Berlanga. I have always felt it was a good instinct to get past the Bum of the month club quickly... Not really calling the fighters bums, I just mean the role they play in the career of a young prospect. At times you can watch guys like Nando and Tommy Morrison who were brought along very very carefully, and compare that to fighters like Juan ma, a fellow countryman of Berlanga. In all cases it seems fighters hit a wall where they are limited.

With Berlanga this was against the guy from Argentina, who arguably beat him. With Juan ma it was when his power failed him against Salido. I used to think it mattered... that ir helped to bring a guy along just so, let him work it out slowly... But I have become more existential. its sink, or swim... Berlanga can practice fighting like Ali all day, isn't gonna change him as a fighter.

Talent is God given. Broner had it in spades, Berlanga has it... But at the top of the milk jar where the creme is, you have to do a lot more... You either will or will not. No excuses, no reasons really... Some guys have the ability to step up and go another level some guys don't.

Jimmy Young was the wrong fighter for Philly... In the land of the tough guy crusher he was a boxer... nobody thought much of him. But when he was in the ring against the best fighters, some of the best ever, he found a way to win!

Comment

Berlanga does not have talent. Garbage boxer.

Comment

Working...
                  X