Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Spence Lambastes De La Hoya For Siding with Crawford, Critiquing Haymon, PBC Fighters

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I personally thought that Terrence came out 100% with the truth! I know Spence sure as hell didn’t! Hypothetically speaking, if there was funding for each fighter to receive $25M guaranteed, horrible option not to at least try and sign it.
    ”why put a ceiling on it” was the obvious choice of answers when Haymon was one upped! Sad but true. I’m a fan of both, but lately I can’t help but to lean towards Bud.
    I would really like to see this fight, but at this point, I really have my doubts that it will come to fruition , unfortunately
    Roj Roj likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by RJJ-94-02=GOAT View Post
      You can’t blame Oscar for sticking it to Al. Haymon along with Schaefer robbed nearly all of Oscar’s stable back in 2014/15.
      Makes you wonder why none of them ever went back though…
      Rebelrbg Rebelrbg icee icee like this.

Comment

Originally posted by Body the jab View Post
        So basically, with more and more fans stealing fights and the PBC being the main culprit in oversaturating the PPV market - Al Haymon 'advised' him (and Crawford) to take guarantees of zero for "one of the biggest fights in boxing"? I really don't get it.

At this point, I'm waiting for one of the sides to cancel things so everyone can move on - the Welter-WAIT division is becoming as bad as the middleweight division.

This Twitter drama is soooooo boring.
        Spence wasn't getting a $0 guarantee to fight Crawford. I thought he was guaranteed $8 million. Crawford was the only one with no guarantee.

Comment

Didn't Oscar just say everything is done from the promoters side for Tank vs. Garcia? Now he's back at it? Anyway, B-Hop said Richard Schaefer was running things, and Oscar was a figurehead! He didn't even show up to Floyd vs. Canelo!!! He lost Canelo, and if KingRy can't get Tank, he might lose him too!

Comment

Again I have to ask, how many big name fighters has PBC taken from zero to the top? That weren't with Golden Boy first?

The list is miniscule. They are pretty bad at promoting.

Deontay Wilder is African American and his most recent PPV did 75k buys. Which might be even worse than Crawford's terrible numbers.

The Andy Ruiz PPV tanked with 65k buys.

So it would seem like PBC doesn't know how to handle black fighters OR Hispanic fighters either.

Comment

Hopkins on His Golden Boy Status, Schaefer's Departure
              June 3, 2014

​"Nevertheless Rick, I think whatever Richard will do he will be successful. He can not be replaced...of that magnitude. I know there are a lot of smart people out there, but there are very few honest people out there. And I've been through enough people in the game of boxing, in the business of boxing. And I'm not saying this off the record, I'm saying this on the record - he held up everything he suggested, promised and delivered for Bernard Hopkins."

"I'm going to tell you that Richard Schaefer's presence is going to be felt sooner than later and I guarantee you that. And what I mean when I say his presence, its running the company the way it was ran. Case in point, beyond July there are no fights scheduled. When you have you seen that [with Golden Boy] since you've been covering boxing? Is this the first of the domino effect? I think that's the question that everyone is asking and waiting for everything to play out."

During his CEO run, Schaefer handled the majority of the business decisions. He secured numerous television deals, put together record-breaking events, secured lucrative venue deals and brought in a lot of revenue from major sponsors. De La Hoya, who spent years battling his addictions to drugs, *** and alcohol, was seen by most as nothing more than a figurehead for the company.

"At the end of the day, you become a figurehead when you war not physically active in the business, which means the office...the day by day negotiations, signing fighters, making fights, dealing with the ups and downs, dealing with the shenanigans, the rumors...all things that come with being on the frontline as the CEO, who has to manage the operation. Everyone knows, everyone knows, it's no secret. Oscar would have to be honest on who ran the company. Oscar would admit that he had some ups and downs, more downs that affected him from being in the office, but that's not Richard's fault," Hopkins said.

"And that's where Richard's credibility comes in, because he didn't keep the company just afloat, he kept it on top and there's a difference. Again, it's going to be very hard for anybody to say that Richard Schaefer, from the day he began with the company until the day he announced his exit, was not one of the key promoters of our time. That's going to be hard for anyone to discredit him for that..."

"The best way to learn [on the business side] is to be around the best. If I'm a young fighter I want to suck this sponge up, I'll go to a Bernard Hopkins or a Floyd Mayweather, or an Oscar De La Hoya or a Felix Trinidad or a Joe Calzaghe. The point of me saying that is this - I know who ran the company and I know how it benefited from that. Why would I not want to set my allegiance to people who I know for sure that I could trust and that is Richard Schaefer and Al Haymon."

"One thing that is no secret, people are now convinced that I'm no fool. And if they think I'm a fool then they're a bigger fool. The decisions that I've made, the good outweigh the bad with the decisions that I've made in life and that I've made in my career. I've got the utmost respect for Richard and Al Haymon. I've known Al Haymon since the Vernon Forrest days. I've known Al Haymon before he even got into boxing or the boxing scene. I'm not a betting man, but I would bet that Vernon was his first project in boxing. And me and the later Vernon Forrest were very close, That's how far we go back. And even on the other side, when Al represented Jermain Taylor. I'm going to have my team and I....I called yesterday to have a meeting for this week right before the Hall of Fame in Canastota, New York.

https://www.boxingscene.com/hopkins-...parture--78539

Rebelrbg Rebelrbg likes this.

Comment

Spence crying about GBP's handling of black boxers yet PBC does worse towards Latino boxers, always throwing them to the wolves, never letting them headline a show, look how they're handling Benavidez, he's 25 years old and can't get him a fight! 25 years old and about to fight a Dirrell and Plant leftover!

So f.uck off Spence.

Comment

Originally posted by Oldskoolg View Post

Makes you wonder why none of them ever went back though…
                  Just Canelo who was made the biggest star in boxing help by Golden Boy.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
                    Again I have to ask, how many big name fighters has PBC taken from zero to the top? That weren't with Golden Boy first?

The list is miniscule. They are pretty bad at promoting.

Deontay Wilder is African American and his most recent PPV did 75k buys. Which might be even worse than Crawford's terrible numbers.

The Andy Ruiz PPV tanked with 65k buys.

So it would seem like PBC doesn't know how to handle black fighters OR Hispanic fighters either.
                    Good points! Now ask yourself how many fighters have sued Al Haymon? How many fighters have left Haymon, and did better afterwards? Just think how many fighters left TR: Oscar, Floyd, Cotto, Mikey, and Pacquiao! Crawford suing Arum now! Oscar lost Canelo, and had to put a cease-and-desist order on Floyd because KingRy is always hanging around them: Floyd, Ellerbe, Tank, and Rolly! Wilder was on Top of the game! He and Fury fought 3 times! Ruiz beat up Joshua in Joshua's U.S. debut! These fighters get BIG opportunities with PBC!

Comment

Originally posted by RJJ-94-02=GOAT View Post
                      You can’t blame Oscar for sticking it to Al. Haymon along with Schaefer robbed nearly all of Oscar’s stable back in 2014/15.
                      That’s the ******est take you’ve ever had. At the time GBP had exclusively promoted all of Al Haymon’s fighters and he couldn’t be happy with that. Instead Oscar managed to cut himself out of Floyd’s two biggest fights, which happened to be the two biggest fights of all time, just because he didn’t have control of Haymon’s fighters long term. And GBP hasn’t been the same since. They still had Canelo and managed to screw that up too.
                      icee icee Rebelrbg Rebelrbg like this.

Comment

Working...
                      X