Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Dawson be judged from his last preformance over Tarver?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should Dawson be judged from his last preformance over Tarver?

There's a saying, "You're only as good as your last fight."

Dawson re-matched Tarver in an unanticipated waste of a fight which was, for some reason, picked up and pushed by HBO. In this re-match, Dawson fought a somewhat uninspired, sloppy bout in which he gave Tarver opportunities to fair better than he did in the initial fight. Nonetheless, Dawson prevailed again and is now re-matching Glenn Johnson which most boxing fans requested.

After that fight, though, Dawson received a lot of hate for that performance as if his previous domination of Tarver never existed. As if all of Dawson's previous performance never happened as well. His complete schooling of the current CW champ Adamek, his tough, hard fought, exciting and CLOSE decisioning of Johnson. It's as if the Tarver rematch was the first fight those who criticize Dawson had ever seen of his.

But why forget the first fight? Dawson fought a PERFECT fight against Tarver. His footwork, his positioning, his combination punching was on point. Jab, Jab, combination, sidestep, right hand, dip. Beautiful. Then he did something no one had done in a very long time: he legitimately knocked Tarver down. He made Tarver look his age more than Hopkins did.

Johnson? Who looks good against Johnson. He's a tough sunavabiitch who's seen the short end of the stick too many times. I feel for him, but I think Dawson got the nod correctly in that fight. People want to use the crowd booing Dawson as proof that he lost, but Dawson was in Johnson's turf soooooooo how is he not going to get booed?

but even as a Dawson fan, I feel the fight with Johnson was so close that there should be a rematch.

I forgot why I started this thread.

I don't think he should be, or at least it should have a great impact.

It was a fight no one wanted to see, and I don't think Chad wanted too either.

Dawson has great physical tools, and has yet to put on an true A performance, IMO. As good as the first Tarver fight was, he still took rounds off, which is my biggest gripe with him.

Comment

Originally posted by Shadows208 View Post

Dawson has great physical tools, and has yet to put on an true A performance, IMO. As good as the first Tarver fight was, he still took rounds off, which is my biggest gripe with him.
      Tarver forced a rematch nobody wanted to see and he was dominated a second time, i see no reason why he should be judged.

Comment

how would you grade his performance against Adamek? I thought it was a brilliant one since he came in as the underdog. I can understand how the knockdown he suffered would affect it.

Comment

Exactly the reason why i feel he didn't put on his best performance and even still, the fight was no where near close. Its hard to motivate yourself after you completely shut out someone in the first fight. Dawson will look better against people who are not as defensive and cautious as Tarver was.

Comment

Originally posted by slicksouthpaw16 View Post
            Exactly the reason why i feel he didn't put on his best performance and even still, the fight was no where near close. Its hard to motivate yourself after you completely shut out someone in the first fight. Dawson will look better against people who are not as defensive and cautious as Tarver was.
            somehow i knew you were going to post. lol. I swear you go M.I.A for weeks on NSB and your dawson radar goes off and you are right here. Its good to see you posting.

Comment

Originally posted by El Jesus View Post
              Tarver forced a rematch nobody wanted to see and he was dominated a second time, i see no reason why he should be judged.
              LOL It should say "shouldn't", I'm on my phone and can't edit my posts.

Comment

LOL It should say "shouldn't", I'm on my phone and can't edit my posts.
                What phone are you using? On the HTC touch, when I had it, It wouldnt separate paragraphs, **** looked stupid. Boxingscene mobile would be nice.

Comment

Originally posted by El Jesus View Post
                  somehow i knew you were going to post. lol. I swear you go M.I.A for weeks on NSB and your dawson radar goes off and you are right here. Its good to see you posting.
                  lol good to see you post as well. Ive been extremely busy, i try to get on here as much as i can.

Comment

Originally posted by 2501 View Post
                    how would you grade his performance against Adamek? I thought it was a brilliant one since he came in as the underdog. I can understand how the knockdown he suffered would affect it.
                    IMO it's his best win. However, I have to say that the win looks better because of what Adamek has gone on to do. The KD hurts, but I think I still gave him 10 rounds.

That's why I rate it above Tarver. Against Adamek, at least Adamek earned those rounds, against Tarver he really gave them away, which left me with a negative impression. He could've had a shutout.

Comment

Working...
                    X