Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Vergil Ortiz: I Was Headhunting, Should Have Been Chopping Down That Tree

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Vergil Ortiz: I Was Headhunting, Should Have Been Chopping Down That Tree

Vergil Ortiz Jr. was less bothered by how long it took to produce his latest victory than the approach he took to get the job done. By his own admission, the 24-year-old contender from the Dallas suburb of Grand Prairie, Texas got ahead of himself in an eventual ninth-round stoppage of England's Michael McKinson. The battle of unbeaten welterweights marked Ortiz's first
    [Click Here To Read More]

I think he did very well. He was out for a while and loss huge sparring time because of health reason. No need to change anything. Just needs to stay active

Comment

Originally posted by T.M.T View Post
      I think he did very well. He was out for a while and loss huge sparring time because of health reason. No need to change anything. Just needs to stay active
      They should have an eliminator between him and Boots. That be a great fight while it lasted either way.
      kjeeze941 kjeeze941 likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by T.M.T View Post
        He's a fantastic offensive fighter, but the defensive flaws are there to see. He may have been out the ring for a year, but he was still in the gym for 2 camps, and whilst some things may have been affected, like his sparring, they could be working to get his defence tightened up. McKinson may not be a puncher, but he still caught Ortiz plenty of times with good well placed single shots. A bigger puncher, with slicker skills and quality combinations will trouble him. Does anyone named Terence Crawford out there spring to mind? He'll be to good for those defensive flaws. He's not good enough to beat a Crawford or Spence, and as much a as I like Vergil, I don't think he ever will be.
        Castilo Castilo likes this.

Comment

Not to mention Mckinson trying to intentionally head butt him through out, the Brit thought dirty tactics would be his saving grace.

Comment

A big problem with Ortiz is most of the time, he tends to throw his shots with the same speed and intensity. Being a pure puncher will work against average fighters, but at the upper level, guys will weather the storm and learn to time him better. Not saying he's a Lemieux because he's not, but he has those same tendencies of throwing everything hard. It won't work when he faces elite fighters.

Comment

Ennis vs Ortiz in a 12 rounder - I would pay for that one! Not sure who would win. Ennis is a little bit more styled and more movement and has serious power, Ortiz has that type of power but physically maybe a little stronger. Flip a coin.

Comment

You are not going to keep a guy like McKinson from hitting you unless you fight scared. In the parlance of baseball, he chokes up on the bat and makes contact. I agree with Ortiz's assessment though, he needed to go to the body (and keep firing that jab) not be throwing haymaker headshots.
                Castilo Castilo Sctrojan Sctrojan like this.

Comment

Regardless, this guy had 1/4 the total knockouts of Paulie and was able to touch up Ortiz. If that was Ennis (the same size and probably equal power but a superior boxer) and Ortiz couldn't get him out, Ennis would smoke him in a 12-rounder. Ennis cancels any of McKinson's boxing and gets him out in 2 or 3, maybe 1 if he doesn't waste time feeling him out. Ortiz / Ennis won't happen for 5-7years.

Comment

Originally posted by 4truth View Post
                    You are not going to keep a guy like McKinson from hitting you unless you fight scared. In the parlance of baseball, he chokes up on the bat and makes contact. I agree with Ortiz's assessment though, he needed to go to the body (and keep firing that jab) not be throwing haymaker headshots.
                    That's what I was thinking last night watching him fight for the first time. He has this awkward,unconventional offensive style and movement that's hard to predict.

Comment

Working...
                    X